No announcement yet.

Cartridge Emulator adapter for 37mm Forks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am interested and also sent you a pm on the brake conversion.

Comment

Heads-up for those of us in Europe.
      Heiden Tuning have the XS650 valves in stock for €53
      http://heidentuning.com/p/28/2600/mo74-cg|21=2/%2327-1086-front-fork-damper-valve-set

There's also a very good instructional pdf on that page, which is dead handy for me as I'll get another set of these for my XS.
      Last edited by Grimly; 07-07-2016, 08:02 PM.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Are the XS emulatators adjusted and set up the same way as Racetech? What I am asking, if I have someone set them up for me, would someone who is familiar with Racetech stuff be able to set these up also? If so,yes I will take a set.
        Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
        Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
        Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

If you're going through the trouble of contacting a machine shop to make the adapters did you price having them machine the emulator? It sends that the price differential for an adapter plus the emulator would be more than just a properly sized emulator.

Comment

Yes would that be a bad thing to do?
            Get it specced out and send the cad drawing to China Inc.
            1983 GS 550 LD
            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Put me down for a set also please, just purchased some new stunchings so while they are apart it would be good to fit them
              Current Bikes.... 81,1230Kat, 86,GSXR1100, 86,RG500,
              The 80`s - Back in the days when men looked like women, women dressed like whores and the music F@#KING ROCKED!

Comment

Originally posted by limeex2 View Post
                Are the XS emulatators adjusted and set up the same way as Racetech? What I am asking, if I have someone set them up for me, would someone who is familiar with Racetech stuff be able to set these up also? If so,yes I will take a set.
                Yes. The setup is exactly the same.
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by dantodd View Post
                  If you're going through the trouble of contacting a machine shop to make the adapters did you price having them machine the emulator? It sends that the price differential for an adapter plus the emulator would be more than just a properly sized emulator.
                  Why didn't I think of that... I must be really dumb!

I can for sure get a cartridge emulator set machined up for less than $100

The simple reason is that Racetech have an active patent on their cartridge emulators.
                  I am not sure how MIKESXS gets away with selling his emulator without getting dragged to court (they have successfully sued others).
                  His is slightly different in construction (it is built upside down compared to racetech's and is actually a better (and more costly to machine) version however in US patent law (this is different to patent law in lots of other countries including the UK) there is such a thing as substantially the same (i.e. even if something is slightly different in design/construction your patent is still valid if it does the same job in the same way).

It's called the Doctrine of equivalents - more info here if you want to read up on it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctrine_of_equivalents

I know a little bit about patent law. I also know I don't want to get sued.

Nobody has a patent on the adapter. I just developed it as a work around for myself.
                  Last edited by salty_monk; 07-09-2016, 02:24 AM.
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                    Nobody has a patent on the adapter. I just developed it as a work around for myself.
                    It wouldn't be something you could get a patent on anyway. I didn't know that RT had sued people over their design but it doesn't surprise me.

Mark
                    1982 GS1100E
                    1998 ZX-6R
                    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

can I have the cad drawing? I want to try and print a set. Material says it can withstand 12000 pst dynamic load conpression,
                      1983 GS 550 LD
                      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

What material & type of printing are you thinking of? What kit are you using
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                          can I have the cad drawing? I want to try and print a set. Material says it can withstand 12000 pst dynamic load conpression,
                          What about creep and resistance to petroleum products?
                          Dogma
                          --
                          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                          '80 GS850 GLT
                          '80 GS1000 GT
                          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Who wants to be a Guinea pig on the Nylon machined version? Save me pulling my forks apart....

needs to be someone willing to install quickly and put some decent mileage on them.

I should have a set to test about end of September.

To clarify these are the same design as the brass ones I have been using for years but made out of an engineering Nylon. Given the ABS pipe we use in our forks and the ramshackle ways I've seen other emulators modified I can't see why these won't work (and if they fail I can't see how it would be catastrophic failure as there is nowhere for them to go.
                            Last edited by salty_monk; 08-30-2016, 05:18 PM.
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Dan,

Wondering if anything ever came of the new style emulator adapters you made?

Comment

Member on here has a Nylon set of adapters (voluteered as a guinea pig...) but no feedback yet. I suspect they will be fine. I do have a couple of other sets if you also want to volunteer...

To be honest there doesn't seem to be that much interest so I haven't given it much more effort.
                                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                                1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Working...
                                X