A time of pilgrimage approaches.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A time of pilgrimage approaches.

Not sure this belongs here, but nowhere else looked appropriate either...

It's starting to look like I'll need to use every heat-management trick available for the first leg from Chicago to Maggie Valley. From there, I've added an extra day to attack Clingmans Dome (with my newly overhauled coronary arteries!) and visit Wheels Through Time on a Monday.

I stole the photograph; I don't think the leaves will be turning just yet.

And then...

A sign of things to come

The encore.

A lot of reruns, including the killer BBQ at Blowing Rock, the cool Holiday Inn Express, breakfast at Mabry Mill, an evening in Mayberry, bluegrass music, and a solo cabin at Big Meadows up in Shenandoah.

I have to change rear wheels on the GL and swap out the coolant, and I'm about ready to go! Sadly, I don't leave for another two weeks. I'm just hoping for better weather, since I don't see how it could possibly be much worse than last time around!
    and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

"Heat management". Wet down a heavy flanel shirt (or sweatshirt) under your riding jacket. Prepare to freeze.

Shirt does not have to be dunked in cold water, warm, body-temperature will do just fine, and is more comfortable to put on. Squeeze most of the excess water out, but be sure to empty your pockets. Water tends to do nasty things to various papers found in wallets.

We have ridden in 105 degree temps across Oklahoma and Texas in relative comfort. However, do this when it's less than 90 degrees, you WILL get cold. Depending on how much water your shirt holds, this can last up to an hour and a half or so, which is about the time you will be wanting to stop and get some water INSIDE you, too.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
    X