Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS550E Electronic ignition .... issue

1980 GS550E I have a piranha elecronic ignition that has worked fine
    for years ever since i bought the bike 6 years ago.

Issue:
    -Smoke and heat seen in the piranha elec ignition box. Was very hot
    -Only runs on 2 cyl - 2/3 cyl (of course 1/4 cyl runs off a separate coil)
    -I noticed the horn - was not connected and rattling about still connected over the engine !
    (wander if this could have shorted something ?)

So on this run after 30 miles of perfect running i stopped for petrol as i thought it had just gone on reserve.
    It had not and gone onto 2 cylinders! Bike ran fine but only on two cylinders.
    Stopped and checked and was only running on Cyl 2/3 thus i thought the coil for 1/4 must be faulty.
    No fuses gone / bike all ok bar that.

Hobbled back home on two cylinders and no heat smoke ...

today
    -The coil for Cyl 1/4 had melted plastic around one of the connecting posts.
    (madly the primary still tests ok still (3.5ohms)
    -No fuses gone
    -All other electrics fine
    -I have checked all connections, any bad looking ones I made new double crimp
    connectors so the wiring is now perfect.
    -the plugs, ht leads and plug caps are ok.

Put on a spare coils and exactly the same issue - only runs on 2 /3 cyl.

Q) Do you think i have fired the electric ignition ?
    (It looks ok)
    Q) do you think the horn rattling about near the ht leads could have caused something ?
    Remember on the way back with this horn on correctly i had no issue at all - bar being on 2 cylinders)

Q) Is there anything lese i can test before buying a expensive elec ignition ? (£140)
    Q) If i have fried the elec ignition and if so where can i get a piranha type ?
    or do i change and use a dynatec , dyna s one.

Background:
    I had an issue a few weeks back wth the type of regulator used on this bike. (one with a sense wire, cant be standard)
    This I am sure I have sorted with the sense wire attached to the rear brake live switched wire.
    Due to this not connected for a time .... it fried a coil a few weeks back ! the same side , 1/4 Cyl, i am having an issue with now.
    This however blew fuses !!!!
    Be aware this time there are no blown fuses.
    I almost think this previous issue damaged the elec ignition ?

Your thoughts would be so appreciated !

current piranha ignition.jpg
    UKJULES
    ---------------------------------
    Owner of following bikes:
    1980 Suzuki GS550ET
    1977 Yamaha RD 250D
    1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
    1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

"I had an issue a few weeks back wth the type of regulator used on this bike. (one with a sense wire, cant be standard)
    This I am sure I have sorted with the sense wire attached to the rear brake live switched wire.
    Due to this not connected for a time .... it fried a coil a few weeks back ! the same side , 1/4 Cyl, i am having an issue with now.
    This however blew fuses !!!!
    Be aware this time there are no blown fuses.
    I almost think this previous issue damaged the elec ignition ?"

you likely damaged your ignition module at same time with an overvoltage condition - even a brief one, before fuse blew.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks - that seems logical for sure.
      Any advice on what type of elec ignition to get ? Think piranha hav gone out of business ?
      Dyna S seem ok and damned simple to install - less bulk to them than the piranha.

Anyone have any views on these ?
      Suzuki GS550 77 to 83 Dyna S electronic ignition system

Last edited by ukjules; 07-16-2016, 07:59 AM.
      UKJULES
      1980 Suzuki GS550ET
      1977 Yamaha RD 250D
      1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
      1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

The dyna is very popular- make sure you get right version - depends on whether you had a ND ignition orignially or the KD version.. Your bike probably came with theND setup, but I'm not sure!
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

How do i find out which ignition i had on it ?
          It was upgraded to a piranha when i got it ! No points to distinguish the type ?
          Not a stamp to be seen anywhere with type either.

I have looked on cmsl and i think i have the type of my bike right 1980 gs550et:
          ✓ Official Suzuki parts list ✓ Easy repairs with OEM diagrams ✓ Free acccess to parts fiches for Suzuki GS550E 1980 (T) (E01 E02 E04 E18 E21 E22 E24 E25 E26 E30 E34)

This shows that bike had (mine) the Kokusan type !

there is no other way right ?
          Last edited by ukjules; 07-16-2016, 02:25 PM.
          UKJULES
          1980 Suzuki GS550ET
          1977 Yamaha RD 250D
          1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
          1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Over this side of pond, our 1980 gs550 came with electronic ignition- most likely a ND unit. Your link implied that your 1980 still had contact points- I'm sorta skeptical. Can you take a pic of the plate that the mechanical advancer gizmo spins around? My 1981 gs650 ND unit looks like this pic. Someone with a 550 will likely know more.
            Attached Files
            1981 gs650L

Comment

Yes my bike had points for sure !!! not that i have ever seen them as i bought it with a Piranha electronic ignition installed.
              I send the cmsl parts diagram as if that is standard it means my bike would have come with kokusan ignition as per the picture,

I will take a pic aap but my one looks identical to yours !
              There are no markings on any surface.
              UKJULES
              1980 Suzuki GS550ET
              1977 Yamaha RD 250D
              1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
              1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Jules - we still had points over here in 1980. The American market were a year ahead of us. We didn't get the fancy electronics til '81. I'll take a look at mine tomorrow and try to determine whether I have Kokusan or ND.
                1980 GS550ET

Comment

Originally posted by ukjules View Post
                  Thanks - that seems logical for sure.
                  Any advice on what type of elec ignition to get ? Think piranha hav gone out of business ?
                  Dyna S seem ok and damned simple to install - less bulk to them than the piranha.

Anyone have any views on these ?
                  Suzuki GS550 77 to 83 Dyna S electronic ignition system
                  You can still buy a new Pirhana from Newtronic, sold direct from Autocar, who seem to have absorbed them
                  Lumenition, Micro Dynamics Newtronic product information application lists faq guides installation instructions

Absolutely excellent systems. Mine is well over 30 years old and still sparking like a champ. Frankly, I'd rather buy another than a Dyna.
                  Last edited by Grimly; 07-16-2016, 08:27 PM.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Many thanks to all on the info. I have emailed Newtronic as they do offer systems and i agree they are brill and reliable.
                    The issue is i need them to answer if they have one for the gs550. They show the part number but dont stock the part
                    according to site. When they reply ill inform. I so hope they have as it will drop right in.

If not then its .. Dyna. (But there is still no chance of me finding out which ignition system i had kd or nd
                    as i never saw this bike with points - the only method of finding out which one you had !!! - condensers were located
                    differently for each)
                    UKJULES
                    1980 Suzuki GS550ET
                    1977 Yamaha RD 250D
                    1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
                    1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Originally posted by ukjules View Post
                      Many thanks to all on the info. I have emailed Newtronic as they do offer systems and i agree they are brill and reliable.
                      The issue is i need them to answer if they have one for the gs550. They show the part number but dont stock the part
                      according to site. When they reply ill inform. I so hope they have as it will drop right in.

If not then its .. Dyna. (But there is still no chance of me finding out which ignition system i had kd or nd
                      as i never saw this bike with points - the only method of finding out which one you had !!! - condensers were located
                      differently for each)
                      If you're lucky, you could pick up another Piranha control box and simply plug it in - I'm assuming the triggers are still ok. I've got a spare Piranha system I picked up from a Z750 or something - same parts, just on a different backing plate, and the exact control box as mine. Thousands of them were sold, so some are kicking around used. Keep your eyes open at bike / autojumbles, Craiglist, preloved, etc.
                      ---- Dave
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

I think you are right i only need the control box.
                        The pickups on atu, look ok but i don't know. I might get away with it .

Only one place that has responded and they are in aus !
                        piranhaoffroad.com.au

they quoted me a barking mad price and it wasnt even including freight.
                        Ill forget them totally and probably use dyna now, at least you can get them. No point in putting stuff on that you cant get hold of parts.
                        I will have to assume my bike is as the parts diagram and a kd igniiton. No other way in the world of knowing other
                        than trying it !

ll inform if my attempt worked ! but it will cost me £140 to find out
                        UKJULES
                        1980 Suzuki GS550ET
                        1977 Yamaha RD 250D
                        1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
                        1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

"No other way in the world of knowing other
                          than trying it !"

that's the spirit! Over here, the last 550's with contact points had the KD setup. 50/50 odds ain't bad!
                          1981 gs650L

Comment

Update:
                            I found another company in Aus selling my original
                            Piranha but now 're branded to newtronic.
                            Apparently piranha sold it to a Italian company.

Anyway this chap stocks for many bikes and has
                            One for mine , an updated version.

So purely as they were so helpful I ordered from him .
                            £130 Inc postage via air mail !!!!

I will update ! But faith restored !
                            And I'm missing the good weather too for cruising so need this now !
                            UKJULES
                            1980 Suzuki GS550ET
                            1977 Yamaha RD 250D
                            1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
                            1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

I mentioned Newtronic up there ^^^^^ - in the UK.
                              I think they'll be around for a while yet, and on the doorstep.
                              Last edited by Grimly; 07-18-2016, 06:35 PM.
                              ---- Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X