Quality Paint shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quality Paint shop

No great rush, however, I'm looking for a quality paint shop .

Ideally in Texas
    Not custom paint as I'm looking for stock colors and finish to showroom quality.

2 tanks, 4 sidepanels and two tailpiece assembly's as a minimum.

I tried the guy in WA who a number of people recommended - He's not doing paint at present

Ideas appreciated
    78 GS1000C- Now sporting 1100E suspension and numerous goodies
    82 GS750E/82 1100E/ GSXR Frankenstein bike completed
    83 1100E "rescue bike" saved from the barn
    2008 Bking - Torque Torque Torque
    Next project slowly coalescing

Chuck Hahn is a member here right up the road in OK. I'm not sure if he paints for others, but he does very nice work on his own bikes.

Comment

Frank Z. lives in Texas and recently had some paint work done. You may want to look him up and send him a PM to get the shop details.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks - will do

Comment

Yes on getting with Frank z. His guy Jeff is in Austin and does excellent work as well.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I don't know where you are located but Xtreme Body and Paint in Pipe Creek Texas did a GREAT job on my current bike and was far less than anyone else in the area. He loves painting bikes and is very good and a Vet. If you want his contact info, drop me a PM. BTW: I did the striping adding vinyl stripes AFTER the bike was finished/clear coated.

IMAG0153-1024x576.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by geol View Post
              I don't know where you are located but Xtreme Body and Paint in Pipe Creek Texas did a GREAT job on my current bike and was far less than anyone else in the area. He loves painting bikes and is very good and a Vet. If you want his contact info, drop me a PM. BTW: I did the striping adding vinyl stripes AFTER the bike was finished/clear coated.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46595[/ATTACH]
              Is this an older guy that works out of his home shop? I can't think of his name off hand (Gene, maybe?), but if it is the same, he really does great work. I know he's involved in the local Mustang club and I've seen his work on a buddy's Mach 1. I'd be willing to bet there is somebody near Katy that can do an excellent paint job as well. Jeff Krall (the Mach 1 owner) is a store manager for a Carmax in Houston. It might be worth it for the OP to try to contact him. Not sure which Carmax he's at, though.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
              Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Pipe Creek - Thats just next door (in Texas terms)

Thanks to all who've responded - I'll be following up on this soon

Comment

He has a real shop with several buildings for doing blasting, welding, prep and a full paint booth and works on a lot of vintage
                  cars. He had a mid-60s Fairlane in the shop as well as some other old car (can't recall type) and his business is on his property
                  along with his home. His name is Darren and I don't want to put a lot of contact info on this site without his knowledge but
                  he indicated to me he loves to paint bikes. You can really get a good deal if you are willing to do the repaint using paint he
                  already has. I had a Kawasaki KZ1000 painted by him several years ago and had it done in Ford Competition Red which is
                  almost identical to the color used on the Firecracker Red GPz models. This time I asked about a shade of dark metallic green
                  and he had it on hand so I basically paid labor cost and the paint was either free or not much added. The price was very
                  reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by geol View Post
                    He has a real shop with several buildings for doing blasting, welding, prep and a full paint booth and works on a lot of vintage
                    cars. He had a mid-60s Fairlane in the shop as well as some other old car (can't recall type) and his business is on his property
                    along with his home. His name is Darren and I don't want to put a lot of contact info on this site without his knowledge but
                    he indicated to me he loves to paint bikes. You can really get a good deal if you are willing to do the repaint using paint he
                    already has. I had a Kawasaki KZ1000 painted by him several years ago and had it done in Ford Competition Red which is
                    almost identical to the color used on the Firecracker Red GPz models. This time I asked about a shade of dark metallic green
                    and he had it on hand so I basically paid labor cost and the paint was either free or not much added. The price was very
                    reasonable.
                    That's him! I recognize the name Darren, once you mentioned it. I guess it's a really small world. Long before I met him we used to high-tail it up Park Road 37 off of Bandera Hwy (16) Loved the curvies!
                    Last edited by Deuce; 07-20-2016, 05:44 PM.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
                    Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

As far as Darren being an older guy, welllllll he is younger than me but pretty much bald. He is a retired US Army vet and a good guy.

Comment

I assumed he was a few years older than I am (59) I met him about 10 years ago. He probably doesn't remember me unless you mention Jeff Krall's friend with a Bullitt. Not sure if he even had a Mustang. I only remember he and his wife coming to car shows in a Versa or some other little Japanese car. We were members of UnitedStangs.com.

Comment

He told me how old he was once but I can't recall. He is too young to have been in Nam so he is younger than me. I don't follow much in the car world as I haven't owned a car in over 40 years (except for an old Caddy and a VW Bug in the early 80s)... just a few old Ford pickups. My wife does cars (now an SUV) but I pay no attention until it is time to buy and try and do some research because I am not familiar with the models. Today's cars all look like they were designed by the same guy. In fact my last car was a 1980 Coupe DeVille (drove it on Sundays) and it looked like a car!

Comment

Thanks for the kind endorsement JJ, but I am not anywhere in the same universe as a man with many years of experience. Im "good enough" for my stuff but am not close to even being on the radar with most guys.
                            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                              Thanks for the kind endorsement JJ, but I am not anywhere in the same universe as a man with many years of experience. Im "good enough" for my stuff but am not close to even being on the radar with most guys.
                              Chuck, I haven't seen any of your stuff in person, but it looks like some high-quality work that you take pains with.

Comment

Working...
                              X