Would you buy a Yamaha XS 1100LH Midnight Special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
    LOL, Cyrano. They seem about on par with my 1150 for mpg.
    My 1.1s had a small tank (can't remember exactly) but on one 'enthusiastic' ride I had to switch to reserve after only 80 miles.
    The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

Mine held something like 5 gallons and would go 180 miles, no problem.
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

I only get about 35 or so on the 1150. I don't remember the XS being quite as thirsty as the 1150.
        I better check my 1000E to see if it has the 1150 engine it in. I only get around 36 maybe as high as 39 on a good tank. I just figured it was my heavy wrist.
        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

I have owned an 80' xs1100 special...it got "released" in favor of my current GS850G. It was my first bike back after a full 10 year motorcycle layoff. I just could not do the "L" type seat anymore.

Funny this topic comes up, I just finished the carbs for a 78' standard XS1100 last night and am anxiously awaiting the beast up and running so I can check 2nd gear!sss1.jpg

Comment

Here is a pic of the 78'y1.jpg

Comment

Ah, yeah. When I bought mine, it had all that touring crap tacked on. First thing I did was jettison it. I don't mind dedicated tourers like the GLs and Voyagers, but I can't stand those mongoloid fairings and chintzed on tailboxes. That crap weighed a ton.
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by nejeff View Post
                Here is a pic of the 78'[ATTACH=CONFIG]46666[/ATTACH]
                Why was it stuffed with brown paper?
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                  Why was it stuffed with brown paper?
                  Haha, yeah...leaves. Jackazz who I bought it from bought it from and old guy in nice shape. He then let the damn lay, yes lay, on the ground and get all dirty and crap. Had a decent cover to he didn't use. He was an idiot. A piece of wood under the kickstand would have done wonders for it. Actually in decent shape despite his lack of care...

Comment

I read an article about a top fuel drag bike XS1100 that used the stock crank & rods on nitro. There was one year only (I forget which) that the the XJ1100 came in a pretty small frame. And the torque on those babies won more than a couple high profile races.

Comment

The XS I had would easily pull the front wheel off the ground if you were injudicious with throttle when launching.
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

Stonking = potent-and large.

Mine was the standard version. I had superbike bars on it, did pods, a 4-1 and jetted it, repainted it, re-covered the seat, stainless brake lines, overhauled all the hydraulics. Rode it for two years trouble free. You have to check 2nd gear on them, because it seems every big bore Yamaha of that decade had issues with them.
                        I almost bought one, all high bars and cruiser, about $1500 asking price. Took a short test ride on it, way too Peter Fonda for me.
                        Bought my 1100G right after, and stripped that down to just a standard bike.
                        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

As mentioned here the 2nd gear issue happened on lots of bikes. Not 100% sure but I think it had something to do with the larger throw to get past neutral that contributed to the damage.

We had a guy in our shop that just came in on Fridays and spent all his day under cutting dogs for GS's, KZ's, ZZR (ZX), etc.

The XS1100 can be fairly easily converted to chain drive as it has a secondary gearbox that houses the front bevel. You can remove that and get access to the output shaft to add a sprocket. The biggest problem is there is not a lot of room and this limits you to quite a small front sprocket. Probably not a big deal for a drag bike, but not ideal for a street bike.
                          Current:
                          Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                          VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                          And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                            I almost bought one, all high bars and cruiser, about $1500 asking price. Took a short test ride on it, way too Peter Fonda for me.
                            Bought my 1100G right after, and stripped that down to just a standard bike.
                            I had the standard version of the XS. It was a great bike aside from the piggish handling.
                            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
                              As mentioned here the 2nd gear issue happened on lots of bikes. Not 100% sure but I think it had something to do with the larger throw to get past neutral that contributed to the damage.
                              Also caused by clods doing clutchless changes.
                              ---- Dave
                              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
                                Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                                Also caused by clods doing clutchless changes.
                                It was to do with the cogs not fully engaging in 2nd gear. I did the mod on my 2nd XS11 and it requires removing the gear shafts for 2nd gear and placing a spacer/washer from one side to the other of the cog. I believe it can even be done with the engine still in the frame!
                                The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

Working...
                                X