Windjammer time capsule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windjammer time capsule

I was poking around behind the headlight and found a rolled up ziplock bag. Inside was an original owner's manual, Suzuki tire pressure gauge that still works, windjammer pigtail wiring diagram, and the soft saddle bag instructions.

Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Nice little find!
    When I bought my 1100G, the windjammer was beat up, but could have been reconditioned. The tape player and speakers were gone, the windshield was cracked and splitting. I rode it home in the rain and it deflected it all away, I thought it worked very well.
    But, that's not the kind of bike I wanted so first day it came off. I put it out on the curb and somebody grabbed it right away.
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

That's cool. I love finds like that.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Bonus! It's like finding an old silver dollar under the steps or an ancient penny under the mast!

Comment

Leave the penny under the mast, that's for good luck!
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

haha! Yes, I would!...I have a penny under mine but it's a wood mast.. but I don't know if aluminum masts would agree with this tradition- not a copper penny anyways

There's kind of a good reason for the tradition I guess- copper being somewhat toxic to rot

Comment

Maybe that was ticked off Poseidon, Ulysses forgot to toss a coin down there.
              Glad we have the story anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                I was poking around behind the headlight and found a rolled up ziplock bag. Inside was an original owner's manual, Suzuki tire pressure gauge that still works, windjammer pigtail wiring diagram, and the soft saddle bag instructions.

Intersting that a PO did that.

I have an eletronic copy of a Windjammer Manaul, although from an Windjammer IV.
                PM me an email if you are interested.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Thanks Redman.
                  I'm still not sure if this is a permanent fixture on the bike. Ill wait a while, at least through the winter before making the decision to find a headlight and blinkers. I do have a slipstream I could use instead after the windjammer if I need it. It's just so hot and a little more air flow would be great.
                  Got home yesterday and was drenched, of course I was wearing a jacket. Crazy Albuquerque drivers can't be too careful around here!
                  Roger

Current rides
                  1983 GS 850G
                  2003 FJR 1300A
                  Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Behind fairing, wearing jacket, I found to have one hand/arm/sleeve far out on the end of the hand grip and other one on inside part of grip so that sleeve further in behind fairing. (and of course not with gloves having big cuffs that cover sleeve). This will cause the outside one to maybe catch some wind or at least be higher pressure, and the inside hand/arm/sleeve to be in lower pressure. Therby creating a air flow up one sleeve, across back and out the other sleeve. Can raise or lower elbow(s) to change air flow thru sleeve, somewhat, and lean forward or back to change air flow from back to front, somewhat. Of course I am talking about Michigan were 85 degF is a warm day and 90 is a real hot day and 95 is a rare terrible awful hot day.

I too was not sure I was going to like full big fairing, used to put on silhouette in fall and take of in spring.
                    Then got the GK. Had it a for only a short while, when I stood up on pegs, and about got blown over by the wind blast, and was surprised by the wind blast, like I had forgotten about that.
                    Guess I got used to the big fairing real quick. Can certainly ride lot further with the fairing.

ANyway, nice of the PO to have that info available.

Last edited by Redman; 07-22-2016, 01:38 PM. Reason: spulling & typos

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                      Behind fairing, wearing jacket, I found to have on hand/arm/sleeve far out on end of hand grip and other on inside part of grip. THis will cause the outside one to maybe catch some wind, and the inside one to be in lower pressure. THerby creating a air flow up one sleeve, across back and out the others. Can raide or lower elbow to change air flow thru sleeve, and lean forward or back to change air flow fromt back to front,,,, somewhat. Of course I am talking about michigan were 85 is a warm day and 90 is a real hot day and 95 is a terrible awfull hot day.

I too was not sure I was going to like ful big fairing, used to put on silloutte in fall and take of in spring. THEn got the GK. HAd it a for only a short while, when I sttood up on pegs, and about got blown over by the wind blast, and was surprized by the wind blast, like I had forgotten about that. Quess I got used to the big fairing real quick. CAn ride lot furter with the fairing.

ANyway, nice of the PO to have that info available.

Thanks for sharing that experience.

My 1100G came with a mounted Windjammer IV that had the original shield including rotating vents. I loved the thing. The exposed hands was a concern during winter, but Vetter had already thought of that, too, and sold a product called Hippo Hands: big, bulky and covering the levers and bar ends, they stopped the wind entirely. Because they had to fit over the bar controls they were too loose to keep hands warm, so I wore gloves inside them, but one day at about 20F/-6C I put bare hands inside and rode about fifteen minutes before the chill got to me.
                      "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                      Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Maybe we should leave "easter eggs" for future owners tucked away on our bikes too....

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
                          Thanks for sharing that experience.

My 1100G came with a mounted Windjammer IV that had the original shield including rotating vents. I loved the thing. The exposed hands was a concern during winter, but Vetter had already thought of that, too, and sold a product called Hippo Hands: big, bulky and covering the levers and bar ends, they stopped the wind entirely. Because they had to fit over the bar controls they were too loose to keep hands warm, so I wore gloves inside them, but one day at about 20F/-6C I put bare hands inside and rode about fifteen minutes before the chill got to me.
                          Those Hippo Hands still command good money on Fleabay.

Comment

Working...
                          X