Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850G missing seat

Hi all,

I've just got my hands on a 1986 GS850GG that has sat unused in a shed since 1999.
    Everything appears to be with it and in general it seems to be in good nick, the usual problems of gummed up carbs, dried out rubber, rotted exhaust etc.

The main problem I have is that the seat is missing and I can't locate a 1986 seat for it anywhere, can anyone tell me if any other years or models will fit, so I can widen my search parameters!

Once I start to strip and rebuild the 850, I'll post some pictures.

Thanks for any assistance.

Parts fiche on partzilla.com ends the 850 run in 1983. I looked at a website that purports to show all Suzuki models and they claim the 850 was sold until 1988. Not sure if the GS850G was sold here in the States in 1986. CMSNL.com has parts fiche for vintage models sold overseas and the seat p/n is different for the 86 than the 83 model sold in the States. The grab rail o the 86 model is more similar to the grab rail on the 1986 GS1000G I own. I am only guessing but I would say a 1980/81 GS1000G seat or a later GS85 seat would fit but I am ONLY GUESSING. I also think there are folks on this site who know model differences far better than I and hope they chime in.

Comment

Originally posted by gregmac View Post
      Hi all,

I've just got my hands on a 1986 GS850GG that has sat unused in a shed since 1999.
      Everything appears to be with it and in general it seems to be in good nick, the usual problems of gummed up carbs, dried out rubber, rotted exhaust etc.

The main problem I have is that the seat is missing and I can't locate a 1986 seat for it anywhere, can anyone tell me if any other years or models will fit, so I can widen my search parameters!

Once I start to strip and rebuild the 850, I'll post some pictures.

Thanks for any assistance.
      Pictures pictures pictures would be of great help, along with the VIN information from the steering neck.

Comment

I believe the later 850g and 1000g have the same seat . One on eBay (no 302016650146) looks very similar to my 86 850g.

Comment

Wemoto site also have seats for 850gg (85)

Comment

Here's an 82 seat in reasonable condition with the rear lock - possibly the same as yours. '79 - 81 they were side locking.

Just a suggestion so you know what to look for in the UK. At least they're available across the pond, and 40usd shipping cost is starting to seem reasonable after being stiffed for so long.
            Last edited by Grimly; 07-22-2016, 09:59 PM.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I have a complete seat assy that I removed from my bike when I hacked sub frame and put solo seat on. You interested still?

Comment

The '80 and '81 G seats will NOT fit your '86. Neither will ANY of the GL seats.

Your search should be limited to the '83-and-up 850G or 1100G.
                I don't think there were any 1100Gs after '84, but you can at least look for '82-'84.

Last edited by Steve; 10-26-2016, 07:05 PM.
                sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sorry for the delay in responding, I've had serious PC issues and this is the first time I've been online since my post!

Thanks for the information!

Comment

Originally posted by gregmac View Post
                    And.... welcome to GSR.

All GS seats changed from 81 to 82 in that the latching and locking and mounting means changed.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Seat ordered today from Wemoto.

There's a 20 working day delivery, so I'll let you know how I get on when it arrives.

Would anyone be able to post a picture of the underneath of a GS850GG seat so I can figure out what fittings I need to source?

Thanks!
                      Last edited by Guest; 11-07-2016, 11:47 AM.

Comment

gregmac,

Again, should specify "82 and after".
                        Prior had hinges on the side and latch on other side.
                        82 and after had latch on back end and tabs on the front.
                        If I had a picture I would post it.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Redman,

thanks for that. i have ordered the correct seat through wemoto, however it doesn't come with any fittings, i.e. rubber spacers, latch plate, shims etc.

i can buy all these items, i just need to find out exactly what parts i need and in what quantities.

thanks for your help.

Gregmac

Comment

Look for any parts fiche for an '82-or-newer GS850G or an '82-or-newer GS1100G.

I believe all the "fittings" will be the same. The parts fiche will give the quantities for each item.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Greg.

Comment

Working...
                              X