GS 1000 neutral light and gear indicator question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 1000 neutral light and gear indicator question

Got a gs1000 engine in a mini outlaw pulling tractor. Im learning about it as i go but am looking to make improvements. Its a PITA trying to find N and was inquiring about installing a N indicator. Where exactly is the switch supposed to be on the engine?
    Found this on ebay....is it what i need???? TIA
    Screenshot_2016-07-22-12-01-45.jpg

Which GS1000 do you have? 80+ shaft drive or 78/79 chain drive?

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

The neutral light switch is just above the output sprocket. It must be there on your engine or you would have a major oil leak without it. That unit on eBay is for a digital gear indicator. Standard GS1000 as your engine is only has 1wire on the sensor, all it does is goes to earth when in neutral. In other words if you have a bulb holder with one terminal on ignition live your earth is the wire on the sensor.
      My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Originally posted by uk gs nut View Post
        The neutral light switch is just above the output sprocket. It must be there on your engine or you would have a major oil leak without it. That unit on eBay is for a digital gear indicator. Standard GS1000 as your engine is only has 1wire on the sensor, all it does is goes to earth when in neutral. In other words if you have a bulb holder with one terminal on ignition live your earth is the wire on the sensor.
        That's why I asked what year his engine is. My 1980 uses the multi wire digital display.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Thank you...i believe it to be a 79 model and it is chain drive.

Comment

Wouldnt happen to have a pic would you?

Comment

Here is a picture from Suzuki shop manual.
              My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Sounds to me you could use a manual so here's a link http://zeus.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage...S-L_Manual.pdf and a link to the site it's from http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/ a lot of the info won't really apply to your situation but there's enough that will.

Comment

The switch is there or you would be leaking a ton of oil. The only question is, is it a multi position indicator or just a neutral indicator switch. If there is only one wire coming out from it, then it a neutral indicator. The switch provides a ground path so the wire will go to ground when the bike is in neutral. If the engine came from an L bike then it will have the multi position type of switch like the one you show from ebay. It will have two connectors coming off of it. One connector is square and has multiple wires going to it. The other is a single wire bullet connector. That is the contact for the neutral position. The other connector provides ground for each of the 5 gear positions.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Thank yall kindly. Heading out to the shop to check it out this eve..

Comment

Thanks fellas for the help....
                      I found it and luckily there is about 2 inches of wire hanging from it. Picked up a 12v indicator light from auto parts store and gona try to make it work. I have just one blue wire coming from the sensor.
                      Again, highly appreciate the help!!!!

Comment

Ok, have no neutral indicator.
                        I hooked the blue wire to one side of light and other side to switched 12v....
                        Recommendations on next move?

Comment

Originally posted by ccriley6 View Post
                          Ok, have no neutral indicator.
                          I hooked the blue wire to one side of light and other side to switched 12v....
                          Recommendations on next move?
                          Got to thinking about the light i bought......swapped the hot and ground wires and boom, i got a neutral indicator

Comment

Glad you fixed it. If you still have trouble getting neutral try adjusting the clutch

Comment

Working...
                            X