2 weeks, 2 bikes and all for under 600.00: New User Content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 weeks, 2 bikes and all for under 600.00: New User Content

Good morning all! I just wanted to take a minute to introduce myself and share my small story with you. About 3 weeks ago a colleague of mine asked if I wanted to go ride for the day. It had been 8 years since I had gotten on a bike so of course I was excited. We rode 200 miles through the winding redwood forests of northern California. I was on his slightly modified GS450. When I got home that night I started looking for one of these bikes and came across a deal in Santa Cruz for 650.00. I was able to talk the guy down to 450.00 and it was that quick I had just bought my first GS450L. Previous owner has some odd taste but it's all good to each is their own. It had the bones and a clean and up to date title.

Fast forward a week. I went and got my permit so I could legally ride and I stumbled on another ad. The title said my wife is making me get rid of it. Again the guys was asking for around 650.00. I made a shot in the dark offer at 300.00 and assured the po that it wouldn't be parted out, but put on the road to be enjoyed. He agreed and there was one last thing to see. I asked if there were any back fees since the bike hadn't been on the road for over a year. Seller told me he Nonopped it before he parked it so there should be. After checking dmv I found out there were back fees. I let the seller know and his response was amazing and awesome. He stated "so I'll see you Sunday with $150.00?.". Obviously I agreed and that is how I came to own a completely unmodified GS450S. 2 bikes, 2 weeks all for $600.00.

Looking forward to sharing my progression with the pair and hearing feedback on the work to come!
    Last edited by Guest; 07-26-2016, 12:09 PM.

What a story! As you know...Pics or it's not true.

I have two bikes and thankful that my wife hasn't given me that marching order. My "T" sits in the garage awaiting to be revived (which is delayed until I get another job).

Glad you got your MSF course done and all you need is riding time...considering you've had an 8yr layoff. I haven't ridden in a couple of years but hopeful that a change is in my future. Good luck!

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Pics of the S anyway.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

So we should go trawling the dmv files for bikes and forget CL ?
        I saw an ad years ago and the reason for selling was " purchased without wife's permission - apparently do whatever the f**k you want doesn't mean what I thought it did "
        Last edited by Brendan W; 07-26-2016, 11:16 AM.
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Welcome !!!!

Yes...pics of the S please. Does it have the factory fairing ? If it does, it may as well be gold, those things are hard to find.
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
            Welcome !!!!

Yes...pics of the S please. Does it have the factory fairing ? If it does, it may as well be gold, those things are hard to find.
            Sigh, it does not have the factory fairing. If it did I'm not sure what i would do with it. Not one for those types of items so i would most likely sell it but who knows.

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
            So we should go trawling the dmv files for bikes and forget CL ?
            I saw an ad years ago and the reason for selling was " purchased without wife's permission - apparently do whatever the f**k you want doesn't mean what I thought it did "
            That's funny! I just check CL every now and then and when i find one i grab the VIN and the LP# and stick it into the DMV Website and it will tell you how much the fees will be to register it. You will see Penalties on the list if there is any.

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Pics of the S anyway.
            Pics up!

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
            What a story! As you know...Pics or it's not true.

I have two bikes and thankful that my wife hasn't given me that marching order. My "T" sits in the garage awaiting to be revived (which is delayed until I get another job).

Glad you got your MSF course done and all you need is riding time...considering you've had an 8yr layoff. I haven't ridden in a couple of years but hopeful that a change is in my future. Good luck!

Ed
            Yes my wife was sitting on the green one when i bought it and started pulling things off and asked "When are you going to teach me to ride this thing?" i took that as.. Go find another one..LOL... She wasn't upset in the least. The Permit was needed 100% for sure. I will be taking a class at Eagle's Nest Harley as soon as they have openings.

Pictures UP!!!

Comment

Cool Bike(s)

Originally posted by Voryexjunkie View Post
              Good morning all! I just wanted to take a minute to introduce myself and share my small story with you. About 3 weeks ago a colleague of mine asked if I wanted to go ride for the day. It had been 8 years since I had gotten on a bike so of course I was excited. We rode 200 miles through the winding redwood forests of northern California. I was on his slightly modified GS450. When I got home that night I started looking for one of these bikes and came across a deal in Santa Cruz for 650.00. I was able to talk the guy down to 450.00 and it was that quick I had just bought my first GS450L. Previous owner has some odd taste but it's all good to each is their own. It had the bones and a clean and up to date title.

Fast forward a week. I went and got my permit so I could legally ride and I stumbled on another ad. The title said my wife is making me get rid of it. Again the guys was asking for around 650.00. I made a shot in the dark offer at 300.00 and assured the po that it wouldn't be parted out, but put on the road to be enjoyed. He agreed and there was one last thing to see. I asked if there were any back fees since the bike hadn't been on the road for over a year. Seller told me he Nonopped it before he parked it so there should be. After checking dmv I found out there were back fees. I let the seller know and his response was amazing and awesome. He stated "so I'll see you Sunday with $150.00?.". Obviously I agreed and that is how I came to own a completely unmodified GS450S. 2 bikes, 2 weeks all for $600.00.

Looking forward to sharing my progression with the pair and hearing feedback on the work to come!
              Thanks for posting pics!

That 450S is pretty cool...I searched to see what she looked like w/fairing...I like it! (Those aren't original mirrors but they're cool)

Ed
              Last edited by GSXR7ED; 07-26-2016, 03:40 PM.
              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, you actually have a 450E, not an S. The S had the gold wheels and bar end mirrors. I have the same model as you, and I believe Pete does too. Good bike though!

Comment

Cool story. I see you already took care of the L bars.
                  Current Bikes:
                  2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by T3nrec View Post
                    If I'm not mistaken, you actually have a 450E, not an S. The S had the gold wheels and bar end mirrors. I have the same model as you, and I believe Pete does too. Good bike though!
                    To the best of my knowledge......look and see if there are mounting clips for the fairing...if you have them it's an "S"...if not, it's more than likely an "E"....or someone has removed them. The "S" does have gold wheels and bar end mirrors, although those could have been replaced at some point.

Larry D
                    1980 GS450S
                    1981 GS450S
                    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Welcome. I dig the red bike. Good luck and enjoy.
                      sigpic
                      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                      -Rusty old scooter.
                      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Love that faux military OD green bike. (But removing the ammo cans was the right choice.) I'm a sucker for military surplus.

Comment

Thanks guys... I had a chance to tak a look at the red bike. Pulled the spark plugs they looked good, the tops of the pistons looked good so I did a compression test. Test came up 90psi on both sides which seemed low. The owner said it had lost power shortly after starting it the day that he parked it and that was the reason but couldn't give me anything further. So I decided to put a battery in it and start it. It took some priming but it started and ran pretty good. Let the bike run for about 5 mins and took the bike to 4-5K and it sounds good. The minute I let off the throttle and the rpms came back down the motor came to an abrupt stop. I tried to bump the starter and it would not start or turn over. I pulled the spark plugs and the still looked fine. I tried to bump the started and no dice motor would not spin... I am slightly stumped as to what is going on. A good friend of mine said the timing could have jumped but I am skeptical. Thoughts would be appreciated!!!
                          Last edited by Guest; 08-02-2016, 10:52 PM.

Comment

You guys are also very correct about the red bike. It looks to be a 450E.

Comment

Little bit of an update: Changed Chain, Sprockets, Rear Drum Pads, Added Shorter Cables since I did shorter bars and painted it. Bike runs and looks 10x better.

Comment

Working...
                              X