Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear shocks slow compress return

1981 GS 750E

After putting the bike on the center-stand after a ride today I noticed that the rear shocks stayed compressed about 1 inch -- and after 20 seconds or so, they rose back into the proper position. I was able to recreate this by slammed my butt down on the seat and watching. It does a slow return about half the time.

Is there a fix for this?

They're the original stockers and they're in good shape aesthetically, so I'd like top keep them if possible.

Thanks!

GS750side1.jpg

Don't keep worn out 35 year old shocks. They are unstable, unsafe, and can't be rebuilt. Buy new ones.

Welcome to the GSR!

Comment

Original shocks are long past their best before date. Replace them with new aftermarket ones and enjoy the ride and handling.

Mark
      1982 GS1100E
      1998 ZX-6R
      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by JJ View Post
        Don't keep worn out 35 year old shocks. They are unstable, unsafe, and can't be rebuilt. Buy new ones.

Welcome to the GSR!
        Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
        Original shocks are long past their best before date. Replace them with new aftermarket ones and enjoy the ride and handling.

Mark
        Thanks for the insight fellas and thanks for the welcome too.

Do you have any suggestions for adding new shocks yet keeping the original look? Or is it it always gonna be obvious that they're aftermarket? Which shocks do you guys like/suggest for this bike?

TIA

Last edited by Guest; 08-06-2016, 10:53 PM.

Comment

www.davequinnmotorcyles.com this is the one place that a lot of guys on this forum recommend.
          Welcome to the site. Beautiful looking bike.
          Larry

'79 GS 1000E
          '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
          '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
          '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
          '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by OriginalOwner View Post
            Thanks for the insight fellas and thanks for the welcome too.

Do you have any suggestions for adding new shocks yet keeping the original look? Or is it it always gonna be obvious that they're aftermarket? Which shocks do you guys like/suggest for this bike?

TIA

I have Ikon shocks on my 1100E, there are also Hagon and Progressive Suspension options that look similar to the OEM shocks.

My bike with the Ikon's:

Mark
            1982 GS1100E
            1998 ZX-6R
            2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Even Amazon has bike shocks.

However they are not going to look like your originals and they're probably 9C's.... Cheap Chinese Communist Conscripted Child Cruelty Conflicting Capitalism Crap.

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                I have Ikon shocks on my 1100E, there are also Hagon and Progressive Suspension options that look similar to the OEM shocks.

My bike with the Ikon's:

Mark
                Thanks Mark.

My bike, except for the handlebars, is totally stock. I like your bike but mine is a very different animal.

Truthfully, I'm not sure what to do at this point. I've looked a bit and nothing has that 100 percent stock look.

I'm also surprised how expensive a set of shocks has gotten. I'll keep looking and THANK YOU;

@JJ
                @Doug
                @Alke46
                @mmattockx

for the advise and insight.

Comment

Originally posted by OriginalOwner View Post
                  Thanks Mark.

My bike, except for the handlebars, is totally stock. I like your bike but mine is a very different animal.

Truthfully, I'm not sure what to do at this point. I've looked a bit and nothing has that 100 percent stock look.

I'm also surprised how expensive a set of shocks has gotten. I'll keep looking and THANK YOU;

@JJ
                  @Doug
                  @Alke46
                  @mmattockx

for the advise and insight.

You're welcome. At this point, your main concern HAS to be SAFETY, and not keeping the shocks looking original. Trust me when I say the shocks on it are worn out.

Comment

I'm realizing now that I don't even know how to buy motorcycle shocks.

Are they by size/dimension? Or by part number?

What do you guys recommend? I don't need the be$t -- but I don't want crap either. I'd like to go all chrome to try to keep the original look as best I can?

Where do I start?

Last edited by Guest; 06-27-2017, 12:32 AM.

Comment

You can buy new Suzuki ones. For $185 each....
                      Buy Suzuki 62100-45410 - ABSORBER ASSY,R. This OEM part is guaranteed by Suzuki's limited part warranty ✓ FREE Shipping on qualified orders - Partzilla.com
                      sigpic
                      09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                      1983 GS1100e
                      82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                      1980 GS1260
                      Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
                        You can buy new Suzuki ones. For $185 each....
                        http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detai...100-45410.html
                        Pretty cool, thanks.

But everywhere else I've looked for the OEM, I've been told they're obsolete. Do you suppose that Partzilla is substituting an aftermarket shock?

Do you find it troubling that it's not the OEM part number and that there's no picture?

I'm new to this??

Comment

Hagons are a very good deal that can be found from either Z1 Enterprises (www.z1enterprises.com) or through Dave Quinn (www.davequinnmotorcycles.com)
                          sigpic
                          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

It was often said "back in the day", that the stock shocks were only good for keeping the frame off the rear tire long enough for the owner of the NEW bike to get some decent shocks.

And that was 35 years ago.

How do you buy new shocks? You have been given several good resources. Hagon suspension is highly rated, available from Dave Quinn Motorcycles (link given above) or Z1 Enterprises. If you call Dave Quinn directly (his preferred method of contact), he will discuss your bike, your gravitational attraction and your riding style to select the proper damping and spring rate. There are several styles available, but the basic $200 set looks remarkably like OEM and works very well.

If you just HAVE to have that "look" of OEM, you must be entering the bike at the Pebble Beach Concours de Elegance, where EVERYTHING must be original quality. Except for those picky snobs, there are two classes of people: 1. Those who will see what you have, recognize it and tell you "great choice", and 2. Those who barely recognize that it's a motorcycle and wouldn't know a shock absorber from a clutch handle.

You have already told us how unsafe your shocks are, get over the "look" aspect, get some SAFE shocks on there and go riding. But make sure you only get OEM dirt on the bike.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yeah... what he said! ---^^

I can't believe that you originally posted about your worn out shocks almost a year ago, and haven't replaced them with some modern ones yet!

SMH
                              Last edited by Guest; 06-27-2017, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X