Rear shocks slow compress return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    It was often said "back in the day", that the stock shocks were only good for keeping the frame off the rear tire long enough for the owner of the NEW bike to get some decent shocks.

And that was 35 years ago.

How do you buy new shocks? You have been given several good resources. Hagon suspension is highly rated, available from Dave Quinn Motorcycles (link given above) or Z1 Enterprises. If you call Dave Quinn directly (his preferred method of contact), he will discuss your bike, your gravitational attraction and your riding style to select the proper damping and spring rate. There are several styles available, but the basic $200 set looks remarkably like OEM and works very well.

If you just HAVE to have that "look" of OEM, you must be entering the bike at the Pebble Beach Concours de Elegance, where EVERYTHING must be original quality. Except for those picky snobs, there are two classes of people: 1. Those who will see what you have, recognize it and tell you "great choice", and 2. Those who barely recognize that it's a motorcycle and wouldn't know a shock absorber from a clutch handle.

You have already told us how unsafe your shocks are, get over the "look" aspect, get some SAFE shocks on there and go riding. But make sure you only get OEM dirt on the bike.

Not finding much using the part number. I'm actually finding nothing on Z1enterprises using my year make and model?

So, I guess I should take off one of the existing shocks and measure it? That'll determine what shock, in the various brands, that I should be looking at and pricing, right?

I'll try to call dave quinn today as well, thanks for the tip! But I'm learning that Hagon is having quality and management issues. I'm still trying to figure this out.

Last edited by Guest; 06-27-2017, 09:10 AM.

Comment

I bought Progressive Suspension shocks and springs for my 77 GS550 and they work fine. I also have them on my 76 XS650 and have been pleased with the ride and handling. The shocks are about $180 a pair, and the springs are another $80 or so if memory serves. You can get the part numbers from the Progressive Suspension website and then shop around. I ended up finding the best price on Amazon. I'll likely remove the spring shroud for a more stock appearance later.
      P1050377.jpg

Comment

Those look great!!

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by OriginalOwner View Post
          I'm realizing now that I don't even know how to buy motorcycle shocks.

Are they by size/dimension? Or by part number?

What do you guys recommend? I don't need the be$t -- but I don't want crap either. I'd like to go all chrome to try to keep the original look as best I can?

Where do I start?

To keep the stock look I would second (or third or whatever) the Hagons. They have chrome springs available, look very much like OEM, are reasonably priced and perform well. Dave Quinn will give you better options and service than the choices at Z1 from what I have heard and seen.

Mark
          1982 GS1100E
          1998 ZX-6R
          2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
            To keep the stock look I would second (or third or whatever) the Hagons. They have chrome springs available, look very much like OEM, are reasonably priced and perform well. Dave Quinn will give you better options and service than the choices at Z1 from what I have heard and seen.

Mark
            Thanks, spoke to Dave Quinn this morning, nice people. They don't have a "bright body" option -- I can get chrome springs with the black body.

I may indeed end up with these but I'm still searching. Dave Quinn advised that I need a 13" shock by OEM standard -- that was information that I could not find until they advised.

Any help, comments or suggestions are welcomed.

Last edited by Guest; 06-27-2017, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Thanks, spoke to Dave Quinn this morning, nice people. They don't have a "bright body" option -- I can get chrome springs with the black body.

I may indeed end up with these but I'm still searching.

Any help, comments or suggestions are welcomed.

...and still risking your ass, along with others, every time you ride... Paralysis via analysis??

Just break down and buy some Hagons.

Comment

Originally posted by JJ View Post
                ...and still risking your ass, along with others, every time you ride... Paralysis via analysis??

Just break down and buy some Hagons.

Haha!

I'm tryin' - I'm tryin'!!

Comment

Not finding much using the part number. I'm actually finding nothing on Z1enterprises using my year make and model?

So that is interesting as I just bought my shocks from them late last year. I just checked even for the ones I ordered and didn't fine them. I wonder if something happened that Z1 decided to stop selling them
                  sigpic
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I have not checked recently for Hagons on Z1, but when I did see them there, they just listed the length and possibly what bike it would fit. When we were shopping for my wife's shocks, we called Dave Quinn and were very pleased with the way he collected information about us and the bike to make the proper selection.

There are several different shock bodies available that have different damping rates. I don't remember seeing that selection available on Z1. Once the damping rate was determined and the spring rate selected, it was just a matter of applying them to a shorter body (to accomodate my wife's short body) and get them shipped. Installation was a breeze and the 'victory ride' was worth it.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Here's what I've learned about replacing the factory GS shocks, for anyone wandering in here in the future looking for the same advice:

You don't have many options.

The price of shocks for old GS's (and in general) are incredibly high -- and after reading 100's of consumers reviews online and talking to riders IRL, paying more does not necessarily mean you're getting a superior product. Most here recommend the Hagons and that is good advice -- they're moderately priced (comparably) and are good quality. The only drawback for me personally, is that they're not available (for the size I need) in the factory original chrome-on-chrome and if you're a stickler on keeping that stock look like I am, you're sh*t out-of-luck.

I'm not convinced that there doesn't exist a quality, low-priced option with the look I want but if they're out there, I wasn't able to find them.

Thanks all for your opinions and advice.

- OO
                      Last edited by Guest; 07-01-2017, 02:58 PM.

Comment

You don't have many options.
                        There are a fair number of options. Roughly in increasing cost (and performance) order there is Emgo, Progressive Suspension, Hagon, YSS, IKON, Works Performance, Ohlins, Penske. I think 8 different suppliers at various price points and performance levels is a decent number of options, but that might just be me.

The price of shocks for old GS's (and in general) are incredibly high
                        Have you priced shocks for current sport bikes? Quality suspension costs $$$. Hagons for less than $300 are a screaming deal. If you are comparing bike suspension to car suspension such as Monroe, etc. then you are going to be sadly disappointed. OEM replacement car shocks are crap in every way and priced accordingly.

I'm not convinced that there doesn't exist a quality, low-priced option with the look I want but if they're out there, I wasn't able to find them.
                        In motorcycle suspension low cost and quality don't go together in any way, shape or form. They don't in cars, either, but car people in general have no clue and motorcycles are much, much more sensitive to suspension performance so the crap gets weeded out very quickly. You are hung up on them looking like OEM and that is why you are struggling with it. The reason nothing looks like original is that technology has moved on and OEM levels of performance are no longer acceptable.

Mark
                        Last edited by mmattockx; 07-01-2017, 09:13 PM.
                        1982 GS1100E
                        1998 ZX-6R
                        2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Working...
                        X