Charlie's trippin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
    Martin, I just got a HP bulletin that the p430 raid controller crashes and needs a firmware upgrade. Is that your fault?
    Why how perceptive of you Bob! Seems everything is my fault any more these days
    It's smoke that make electronic components work.
    Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
    '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
    '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone
    '82 GS1000SZ
    '82 GS1100GL
    '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird

Comment

Originally posted by Wallowgreen View Post
      Why how perceptive of you Bob! Seems everything is my fault any more these days
      I have to deal with the end users, so everything is MY fault. Just looking for some company under the bus....
      sigpic
      09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
      1983 GS1100e
      82\83 1100e Frankenbike
      1980 GS1260
      Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Well the plot thickens.......Blew valve cover gasket. Overnight to Billings, hopefully today. Enjoying hot shower, cable tv& wifi. Glad I can deal with these things.
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g
        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
          Well the plot thickens.......Blew valve cover gasket. Overnight to Billings, hopefully today. Enjoying hot shower, cable tv& wifi. Glad I can deal with these things.
          Egads There's that tube of high heat, oil resistant gasket maker to the rescue. The only valve cover gasket I ever had blow was one of the silicone ones. Was it a stock paper one?
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Ok Charlie, too much blow-by pressure in the oil galley.
            I would think your trip is over, because the only way to fix that is new piston rings.
            Been there with a couple cars.
            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I'd replace the gasket. Make sure the engine is venting properly, and motor on. Keep a eye on things at fuel stops. If you can make it to the Indiana/Ohio aria, and things are catastrophic. There are resources here to totally rebuild your engine if need be. Good luck👍
              My Motorcycles:
              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
              79 1000e (all original)
              82 850g (all original)
              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

True, I had a pinched breather tube on my LTD 550 many years ago, and it blew out massive amounts of oil.
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                  Ok Charlie, too much blow-by pressure in the oil galley.
                  I would think your trip is over, because the only way to fix that is new piston rings.
                  Been there with a couple cars.

That might be a worst case scenario.

I would think a check on the vent tube is a first priority, as a clogged one would cause pressure build-up....and this would be much cheaper, easier, and faster to repair.
                  "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                  Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Well I was starting to feel good about the situation and Bill get's me worried....... I think I've fallen victim to my own frugalness. I should have replaced the gasket when I did the valves as this one has had 3adjustments on it. I will pull the breather in the morning and check that it's clear. The new gasket is on with half moons & 306 miles . No leaks and drips slowly stopping. I've been traveling in an area where the speed limit is 80mph.......++

I setting in Belfeild ND tonight adding my 43 state to my list of states visited.With any luck I'll get 3 more in the next few days.

Rob,I had the gasket sealer/maker but I also had a dealership right there.
                    Thanks for all your advise!
                    Last edited by Charlie G; 08-10-2016, 11:35 PM.
                    sigpic
                    83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Charlie,

If you remember, mine blew that night you followed me home. One of the little curves was cut incorrectly by 2-3 mm. There's a lot of oil thrashing around there. So, relax

Are you heading towards Duluth and the Mackinac, or down to Chicago? I recommend staying north, or taking the SS Badger (spendy, but worth it)
                      Last edited by Big T; 08-11-2016, 01:20 AM.
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                        What do you think of the Katana ergonomics??? imagine riding that all the way to Ontario...
                        Hey, I did that. North Shore of Lake Superior Ontario.
                        Have a good ride Charlie.
                        Hwy 1 to Illgen City in Minnesota was pretty fun.
                        Spent the night in Bemidji, headed up 71 to 1.
                        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

I've never seen a Katana fitted with that much kit...it'd be quite a feat of agility to pop one's foot through the gap to mount the beast.

Keep on reporting in, Charlie. I'm living vicariously through you.
                          '83 GS650G
                          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                            Well I was starting to feel good about the situation and Bill get's me worried....... I think I've fallen victim to my own frugalness. I should have replaced the gasket when I did the valves as this one has had 3adjustments on it. I will pull the breather in the morning and check that it's clear. The new gasket is on with half moons & 306 miles . No leaks and drips slowly stopping. I've been traveling in an area where the speed limit is 80mph.......++
                            Well silly me, I didn't know you had the lid off 3-4 times on that gasket. You know what your last compression test was as well.
                            Anyway, best 'O luck!
                            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                              Charlie,

If you remember, mine blew that night you followed me home. One of the little curves was cut incorrectly by 2-3 mm. There's a lot of oil thrashing around there. So, relax

Are you heading towards Duluth and the Mackinac, or down to Chicago? I recommend staying north, or taking the SS Badger (spendy, but worth it)
                              kj

How could I forget!
                              sigpic
                              83 GS1100g

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
                                Hey, I did that. North Shore of Lake Superior Ontario.
                                Have a good ride Charlie.
                                Hwy 1 to Illgen City in Minnesota was pretty fun.
                                Spent the night in Bemidji, headed up 71 to 1.
                                I've ridden a Kat and I'd love to try a tour on one.

Trying to get past St Paul today. Going through Chicago area and up to Dowagiac Mi afterward. Go Cubs!
                                Last edited by Charlie G; 08-11-2016, 09:51 AM.
                                sigpic
                                83 GS1100g

Comment

Working...
                                X