23 year old glue removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

23 year old glue removal

Hi, I got a 93 Katana GSX600F in a pretty good deal, but the plastics pretty beat up and purple on red just doesn't do anything (apart from make me want to heave) for me.

I peeled off the gory offenders with a heat gun and a bit of patience, but the glue is a different matter.
    I have so far tried.
    Goo Gone
    Acetone
    Vinegar
    De-greaser (going through the cupboard here)
    Gasoline....
    Release oil - like WD-40 but not actually WD-40

Nothing is really doing it.. I have kinda scraped off a very small section but the time it took means this isn't really a viable option.
    Does anyone know a way to get this crap off? If you have had surefire success with something, please let me know.
    Thanks - Jeff
    Last edited by Guest; 08-21-2016, 08:30 AM.

Add Kerosene, Windex, Furniture polish and fly spray lol to the list
    Oh.. and CLR I'm about to hit it with the grinder grrrrrrrr

Comment

Rubbing Alcohol has taken any decal residues off for me. Dont know what yours is made of but its worth a shot I guess.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

OK.. I seem to have a few flavors of Alcohol around.. I'll give it a whizz.. Thanks

Comment

Not drinking alcohol....too weak and its for your liver anyway.....LOL
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Ahh.. didn't work.
            This stuff is baked on.. rock hard. I did get a sleight reaction with gas but there must be something that can do the job.
            I'll nip out and get some WD in a bit. If anyone has a rock solid method of doing this PLEASE let me know

Comment

Wonder if its actually set into the clear and thats why it wont come off??? May need to GENTLY sand it with some 1500 grit and reclear it.

Comment

I have used a bug and tar remover from Turtle Wax with good results.
                A lot of work but i heated the residue/glop with a hair dryer and used the edge of a plastic credit card along with the remover.
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

If it's still kind of tacky, try 3M adhesive remover. I use a soaked rag and scrape it with a old credit card, your finger nail, or razor blade (with caution.) It may take several applications to get it all off. I used to have a business replacing vinyl graphics on RVs and this worked well for me. I had to buy another side cover, and the original decal was on it. That's how I got the glue off.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
                  Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

3M adhesive remover... about 14 - 15 bucks on Amazon.. Reviews look good and free plastic razor blades

(plastic razor blades?) :/

I was looking around and Rustoleum has one too.
                    Permatex...
                    And Turtle wax.

The glue is on top of the plastic fairing.. and it's not a fine layer, it's almost as thic as the decal was.. pity it didn't stick to the decal as well as it stuck to the fairing.
                    I have a 4" square patch after messing about for hours... and there is a LOT to go. Ever wish you never started something.

Thanks Steve, Deuce (nice motor)
                    And Chuck for the input... It looks like I need something specialized like you advise. Of course I'll start with the cheapest option first lol
                    ....after a read a few million reviews. I'll report back with the best I find and at least it might end up being a "tip" in the end.

I ordered some..Turtle Wax T-529 Label & Sticker Remover - 10 oz

Jeff
                    Last edited by Guest; 08-21-2016, 01:42 PM.

Comment

I've had good results with WD-40. You may have to lay a napkin or similar over the spot and then saturate with the sauce and let it dwell for a while to soften the goo.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Sometimes fingernail polish remover works for me but not always.
                        Alan

sigpic
                        Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
                        Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
                        Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
                        Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Sometimes fingernail polish remover works for me but not always.
                          Fingernail polish (EDIT:Remover) is acetone...The $1 store kind (when just need a little bit) is acetone w/ water, dye and sometimes girly scent...

Comment

just be aware acetone will melt abs plastic.
                            1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

I used an orange smelling paint remover on the side cover (after I got the glue off) and it didn't like the plastic either. I kept thinking I was scraping off black paint, but it was the plastic that was being scraped off. Had a lot of sanding to do afterwards to get it smooth.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
                              Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Working...
                              X