Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

oil leak in #4 cylinder (valve seals leak) --> how long does it take to stop smoking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like a valve stem seal to me.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Yep, for me too, because there are all the symptoms.
      - the valves are brand new, coated ones. When I removed them last WE, I had not any sharp or smg else on the valves. Even on the valve guides.
      - when the bike started to leak from inside, I directly thought about the valve stem seals too, because I bought on ebay viton seals (not oem). I replaced last Week end that seals by suzuki oem seals.

All is brand new. I also checked that there was no parts of old seals glueing on the guides before putting the new ones. Nothing....

Comment

yop
        did few hundred km (200). Still smoking.

It mokes when idling, and when re-playing with throttle after deccelerating (closed throttle), there is a smoke cloud. I know this is oil, because of the smell, the color of the smoke and the oil level, decreasing constantly (F level to L level --> 200km).

The valve stem seals are new suzuki ones. The only thing I did not change is the head gasket. Re torqued it few times (4 / 5 times). I do not have any black burned part on the head gasket around the metallic ring. ..
        I disassembled the head tonight, I need your help because I'm simply out of idea...

- new rings
        - not aligned rings
        - checked the cylinder diameter
        - honed the cylinders
        - new suzuki valve stem seals. (I had viton seals and the same behaviour)
        - new valves
        - checked the radial play between valves and guides

So.... if you have any idea....thanks al lot

Comment

Have you done a compression check since you retorqued the head?
          1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Unfortunately not, do not have the compression tester.

Comment

I think im ok with compression. But in case i will try to remplace the full set of rings in that cylinder.

Comment

Moreover:
                - there is a nice cloud of smoke just after starting the bike...
                That symptoms show a valve stem seal leak, but i already tried viton ones, or oem suzuki ones... same effect, no change. Even the valves are new... there is only the head gasket i re used few times for torquing and re torquing...i suspect it, but i can not say where could it leak...

Comment

So far everything is new but the head gasket.

"The last think I suspect, I re-used the same head gasket, which I re-torqued few times (3 / 4 times). the bike runs on the 4 cylinders, so I do not suspect the gasket leaking, but maybe this is a mistake and I have to buy another one..."

You might want a new OEM head gasket.
                  Alan

sigpic
                  Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
                  Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
                  Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
                  Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Why would you replace all those parts, and then use the old head gasket?!

Comment

It was in case of an engine rebuild, the head gasket was brand new but when i had that issues on the 4rth cylinder i re used it because i did only few km (less than 50) and it still had a great shape...
                      But i asked myself how could it be the head gasket because i have no burnt trace after the metallic rings of the gasket, so i assumed he did its job. That is the only part i did not change since the engine rebuild. Could it leak oil by "inside"?

Comment

It was in case of an engine rebuild, the head gasket was brand new but when i had that issues on the 4rth cylinder i re used it because i did only few km (less than 50) and it still had a great shape...
                        But i asked myself how could it be the head gasket because i have no burnt trace after the metallic rings of the gasket, so i assumed he did its job. That is the only part i did not change since the engine rebuild. Could it leak oil by "inside"?

Comment

I misread the new gasket being reused and the problem existing with the new one.

As mentioned earlier, you should get a compression tester and see where you're at.

Did you test the head for cracks after it was milled?
                          Alan

sigpic
                          Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
                          Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
                          Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
                          Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

The gasket was new (aftermarket one....) but i torqued it once before the first start to check valve/ piston gap...
                            Then i torqued it again. I still do not see where could the head gasket leak... maybe from o rings to combustion chamber when idling /staying cold... i ordered a suzuki new one. This morning i will check again the valve /guide gap, check again if there is not any part of older valve seal which could remain and could not allow the new one sit properly on the guide...i am pretty sure that oil could leak in the combustion chamber using gravity (that could cause the big oil cloud when starting), so i am pretty sure that could be from " above" the head gasket, head gasket included...will check one more time....

Comment

ok think I found it --> excessive radial play between the exhaust valve (brand new, diameter in specs) and the valve guide... When I put the valve at 10mm from the seat, there is a lot (too lot for me) radial play. Ordered a new valve guide. Wait and see....

Comment

on the 4rth cylinder: 0.15mm for intake, 0.35mm for the exhaust..... waiting for guides....

Comment

Working...
                                X