Another GS850G seat question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another GS850G seat question

I have searched as much as possible in this forum, but not been able to find any answer to my question.

My seat cover is a torn and I am thinking of taking care of that this winter.
    While I was looking for new seat covers, I also found a nice thing from Saddlemen, a Double bucket seat.
    However, it says that it only fits the 79 - 81 models.

I have sent them a question regarding it, but havn't got any answers yet, so I thought I'd ask here aswell.

Could it be that they have not tried on the 82 model and are just playing it safe, or would the provided foam and cover not fit on the pan of my -82 GS850G?
    If that is the case, would it be possible by any chance to fit a pan from the 1981 year model without doing too much damage to the frame?

If not, I guess I will just be happy with a new seat cover.
    I mean, the seat is comfy as it is, but I like the look of those buckets, and it does look quite comfy as well.

I had one of the double bucket seats you refer to on a vintage Kawasaki. It was NOT comfortable. The foam was junk (imho) and I woiuld recover the stock seat. i Have an 80 GS1000G and just recovered my seat using a guy who sells covers on eBay. It was made to fit decently but doesn't account for the slight step in the seat and does not lay down at that point (right in front of the step). Since the GS seats don't have ties that go through the seat to pull them into place and tie off on the bottom, they need to be cut correctly. My cover looks OK and was cheap and well made but I may recover again at some point. A company called B&H Specialties,here in Texas, makes some good product and I wish I had purchased from them. They are a Mom and Pop place and well thouight of by those that have used their covers. The seat foam on your G is likely better quality than what comes new in the double bucket you are looking at. I once had a Corbin on an 82 GS1100E and it was GREAT but don't think they make them any more for vintage GS models.

Comment

Originally posted by noratx View Post
      I have searched as much as possible in this forum, but not been able to find any answer to my question.

My seat cover is a torn and I am thinking of taking care of that this winter.
      While I was looking for new seat covers, I also found a nice thing from Saddlemen, a Double bucket seat.
      However, it says that it only fits the 79 - 81 models.

I have sent them a question regarding it, but havn't got any answers yet, so I thought I'd ask here aswell.

Could it be that they have not tried on the 82 model and are just playing it safe, or would the provided foam and cover not fit on the pan of my -82 GS850G?
      If that is the case, would it be possible by any chance to fit a pan from the 1981 year model without doing too much damage to the frame?

If not, I guess I will just be happy with a new seat cover.
      I mean, the seat is comfy as it is, but I like the look of those buckets, and it does look quite comfy as well.
      Welcome to the asylum.

The seat pans, hinges, latch, etc....all changed from '81 to '82. Looks similar from the top, not so much underneath.

Those Saddlemen double buckets LOOK like they should be comfortable, but if they are, it's only for a very narrow range of body types. The vast majority who try them (at least here and including me) find they are about as UNcomfortable as can be.

Unless someone here or on Fleabay has a nice one, you're probably better off getting yours recovered.

Comment

Too bad you're so far away! Craigslist in Santa Fe, NM.....

x
        prohibited
        [?] Posted 4 days ago
        printfavorite this post 1983 Suzuki 850 seat, taillight & bracket - $60 hide this posting

<image 2 of 2>

Roger

Current rides
        1983 GS 850G
        2003 FJR 1300A
        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Darn it, my memory isn't what it should be..
          Completely forgot about me posting this, and seems I forgot to check so that I get notified about any replies.
          Sorry guys for the rudeness of not responding when you so kindly responded to my questions. :/

And thank you for the responses, I think I will go by your words, and not getting that double bucket seat!
          Will just recover the original one.

Hope to find an old pan though, and try to custom built a comfy double bucket seat with a perfect fit for my rear end

Comment

We have a Saddlemen double bucket on my wife's 850L. There was a manufacturing flaw in it when we got it, but before I sent it back, I also noticed that the front bucket was almost two inches closer to the tank than the stock seat. I asked them that, since they had to re-do the cover anyway (to remove the flaw), if they could also move the bucket back to the stock location. They managed to move it about 1 1/2", which is fine. That seat fits well on her bike and is very comfortable.

Based on the success of that seat, I ordered one for my 850G. Never got much of a chance to ride it, as it sits about two inches taller than stock. Yes, even at my height, I don't need the seat to be that high. My son tried the seat, also found it uncomfortably high. Passed it on to another rider who shaved a few inches off the bottom, reshaped the bottom to fit a 550E and now enjoys it.

Also, as others have mentioned, the seats changed for the '82 model year, so the covers will be slightly different.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hope to find an old pan though, and try to custom built a comfy double bucket seat with a perfect fit for my rear end
              The 82^ GS850/1100G and 110GK's all use the same seat pan.
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
              X