Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

converting1979 suzuki gs1000g from geardrive to chaindrive,What kind of rearswingarm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

converting1979 suzuki gs1000g from geardrive to chaindrive,What kind of rearswingarm?

Hi everyone!

How to convert a1979 suzuki gs1000g from geardrive to chaindrive,What kind of rear swingarm to use?

I was reading some time ago on some other place on the net that it should
    be possible to convert a geardrive GS1000G to a chaindrive model and if I have
    a engine intended for chaindrive,what else can be done to make
    this possible?

In advance
    Thanks.

gsman

Wow - that's a somewhat aggressive project. I would think the list of parts required would be extensive. Good luck....

Comment

To make it easier, I suggest finding a donor bike, GS 1000. It's only worth it if you find one for nothing or close to it. Then cutting that rear frame off and welding it on the G frame.
      Not worth the labor at all, because you can build your G into a nice bike, or you can sell it and buy a chain drive bike.
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

There is reasonable way to convert from shaft to chain, or visa versa. Sell the shafty and buy what you want.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

It would be far easier and practical to just sell the G and buy a chain driven model.

Comment

My question is, why are you considering doing this?
            1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

The shaft drive swingarms are normally wider at the pivot - which means you can run a wider chain line than with a chain drive frame (quite a common mod done with KZ's).

But as far as what swingarm?, you need to measure the frame you have and hit Google.....
              Current:
              Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
              VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
              And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

If someone, some time ago, somewhere else on the 'net thinks this is a reasonable thing to attempt, then they need to explain how they think so. You'd have to throw a lot of money and time into the project in order to utilize a few hundred dollars' worth of parts in a way they're not well suited for.
                Dogma
                --
                O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                '80 GS850 GLT
                '80 GS1000 GT
                '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

AND I had my first Suzukis (K50,A100,T350 and more in the seventies,always wrenching and making
                  adjustments on them by my self so as I,m now in my fifties I am not a newbie when it come to wrenching and doing
                  mods my self.Just to name it

I like the options with chaindrive that makes it easy to change the gearratio up or down.
                  And,I don`t have any of the GS 1000 models (current GS750E)at the moment but
                  there are a lot more G models available for sale than the 1000E that I otherwise
                  would find interesting to look at.
                  As I live in Scandinavia,(Norway)the prices of the few 1000E models available here are up to tree times
                  higher than the 1000G models.So if there was some easy option of just add some other
                  rear swingarm it could be some very interresting deals on the 1000G to look at.

By the way,Do you all know that Suzuki was headhunting chief engineer Ernest Degner 50years ago from german make
                  MZ for their big skills with twostrokes engines?

Some may not know this.
                  How Ernst Degner Sold MZ Two-Stroke Secrets to Suzuki Motorcycles

gsman

Comment

You will need more than a swingarm. You will need to re-engineer the frame to hold it, too, as the shafty swingarm mounts completely differently.

As others have said, if you want a chain-drive bike, get one. There is no practical way to convert a GS shafty to chain.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      You will need more than a swingarm. You will need to re-engineer the frame to hold it, too, as the shafty swingarm mounts completely differently.

As others have said, if you want a chain-drive bike, get one. There is no practical way to convert a GS shafty to chain.

Not only the frame but the gearcase is different too.

Even if you pay three times as much for 1000E it would be worth just selling the G and buying the E.

Comment

Thanks!

Will leave thinking this project as possible for now.

gsman

Comment

Stealing speed is a good book to read. Earnest Degner and Walter Karden 2 stroke wizards.
                          My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                            There is reasonable way to convert from shaft to chain, or visa versa. Sell the shafty and buy what you want.
                            +1 This is the only logical course of action

Comment

Why do you need to change gear ratios. Are you planning on taking the bike to different track configurations? You can change the ratio with a different rear diff ratio from another suzuki models with some modifications. You would have to look at parts fisch, but Suzuki made the Intruder, Madura, Cavalcade, Boulevards, GSX1100G and maybe other models that the diff internals may be close enough to work and have different ratios. I've seen people put GS mag wheels on Maduras before. Plus early 1000G models use an 18 inch rear wheel and later 1100GL models use a 17 inch. I wanted the tune fork style wheels on my G, it's a tighter fit in the swingarm squeezing it past the diff, but it will go in, then you could play with tire sidewall ratios.
                              1000G with the 18

same 1000G with the 17
                              GSRick
                              No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                              Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Working...
                              X