dog bone risers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dog bone risers?

anyone ever raise their gs handle bars with dog bone risers? I've got 4'' ones coming tomorrow.

Never heard of them. Post pics, why do you need to raise the bars? I've seen guys use risers on late model bikes, but on a vintage bike would be a first for me. We're usually going the other direction with lower bars.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

this is it. with them I can raise the bars, and move the forward a bit.
      Attached Files

Comment

Looks like a crude solution to the problem, and adds another chance for slipping.
        They look like the dog bones used to add a second cymbal to a cymbal stand.
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

That looks DANGEROUS as F**K configured like the pic.

Maybe IF there's some way to get then to lock from flipping forward, mounting them closer to the triple tree (?) Looks like they're not even designed for flip forward prevention because the bottom part is round...

That's why the ape-hanger bars are illegal over a certain hieght, they flip forward and riders get hurt, or die even from stupid ...

Yikes! even for a small bike .
          When I was 17 I bent the handlebars on my Yamaha maxim 400cc ...
          chain wrapped between rim and sprocket, locked rear wheel at around 40mph , about 100 foot skid , fought somehow and kept upright, but bent the stock/stock mounted handlebars...

There's been few/ several other times extreme pressure has gotten put forward onto handlebars from braking, downshifting etc...

Man , sturdy handlebars are important!

One of most tragic crashes I've heard of was in an industrial park where I was working and one guy and his brother got a vintage KZ 1000 running finally so he was riding rough (industrial park/no traffic) and pulled a couple wheelies...

Anyway he was killed when his handlebar broke due to unknown rust on the inside... not exactly similar but there's a lot of stress on the bars at times ...

I could seriously design better risers in my backyard with an angle grinder and hand drill (WTF?)
          That pic makes me mad somewhat actually ,... they look like aluminum with no teeth even?
          WT..?!?!!?! Are you serious???

EDIT: I had just woke up from resting and wanted to see what's new on here. Just blurted thoughts into keyboard.
          Anyway, they look dangerous, maybe could be tightened like crazy until dent bars but even then...
          BTW, I'm same guy who got "flamed" for pic of my bolted on chin-strap, temporary helmet and still say dangerous IMO.

edit2: "Dogbones" that's nickname for rear suspension linkage on mono-shock Suzukis ...They probably were like "Hmmm...??" Dogbones sounds like good MC term".
          When I read "Dogbone riser" I thought referred to different length rear suspension linkage...
          Last edited by Guest; 08-28-2016, 11:09 PM. Reason: EDIT added at bottom reply

Comment

I don't think that's the route I would have gone. I would have just looked for bars that would fit the position I needed or wanted. Most risers I've seen mimicked what was already there and gave a simular to stock type of mount. I would feel safer with something that is more solid and leaves only one pivot point.
            GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Please don't use those

Why do people ask after they buy

I believe I have a much better, safer set in storage, they might fit. LMK

Comment

WOW, I didn't expect such a backlash. Dog bone risers have been used since the 60's-70's. these are NOS from then. I'll see how it works.

Comment

Dogbones were used mainly on choppers in the 60's and 70's which had questionable front end stability to begin with.
                  Alan

sigpic
                  Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
                  Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
                  Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
                  Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Well you did ask for opinions. Don't look at them as a diss, look at it as members concerned for your safety. Just because something was used previously, 40+ years ago, doesn't make it the best option. I think your adding more weight that wouldn't be added with other options and cluttering up the top triple area. It is a very bulky looking setup.
                    GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Originally posted by maddman View Post
                      WOW, I didn't expect such a backlash. Dog bone risers have been used since the 60's-70's. these are NOS from then. I'll see how it works.
                      Good luck! There are reasons that they aren't used any more. I hope you don't find out the HARD way.

Doctors used to cut patients to bleed them, thinking it cured diseases. They applied leeches, too.

Comment

Dangerous as hell. You're ignorant if you use that setup. Period. There's a reason they dont make them any more. You won't mind them at all until the day they kill you.

Comment

Jeez... first guy does a hit then the rest of the "team" piles on. These dog bones risers are not my cup of tea but are not particularly unsafe. I am sure NONE of the experts who eventually ended up calling the OP "ignorant" have ever actually used any. If the OP forgets to tighten them down, they could slip but otherwise no more prone to slipping on sticking a rider than any other handlebar related item. I personally have used low rise risers of this sort on several cruisers I have owned. I made it through still alive!

Comment

Ive used various styles of risers on atvs (most are the "ROXX" style, which are a little different) and I have wrecked and bent the bars but the risers never broke or cracked (or even slipped for that matter).
                            My opinion is if you install them correctly, if they were to brake or slip, it means you've probably hit something hard enough that the riser breaking is the least of your problems.
                            1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Anybody that names his bike "Jolene" just can't be wrong. I feel funny about naming mine. Heck, I didn't even name my kids and they are almost as dear to me as my bikes!

Comment

Working...
                              X