dog bone risers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by geol View Post
    Anybody that names his bike "Jolene" just can't be wrong. I feel funny about naming mine. Heck, I didn't even name my kids and they are almost as dear to me as my bikes!
    Technically she's "Jolene 2", my dad restored an old Matchless back in the late 70's and it was nearly the same color as my GS. My mom named his bike "Jolene" after the song by Dolly Parton... my dad would sometimes disappear for days at a time on the bike and my mom thought of the bike as "the other woman"... like in the song. So when I got my bike it got the name too in memory of my dad and his old bike. lol
    1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

I am sure NONE of the experts who eventually ended up calling the OP "ignorant" have ever actually used any.
      You are incorrect.

The dogbones are a hack solution.

Comment

Originally posted by TxGSrider View Post
        Technically she's "Jolene 2", my dad restored an old Matchless back in the late 70's and it was nearly the same color as my GS. My mom named his bike "Jolene" after the song by Dolly Parton... my dad would sometimes disappear for days at a time on the bike and my mom thought of the bike as "the other woman"... like in the song. So when I got my bike it got the name too in memory of my dad and his old bike. lol
        Bwhahaha! Great story. I have owned between 50 and 100 bikes; just not enough names to go around but I have called a couple I CALLED NAMES and I doubt these names would be repeatable in a polite audience.

Comment

Originally posted by TxGSrider View Post
          Ive used various styles of risers on atvs (most are the "ROXX" style, which are a little different) and I have wrecked and bent the bars but the risers never broke or cracked (or even slipped for that matter).
          My opinion is if you install them correctly, if they were to brake or slip, it means you've probably hit something hard enough that the riser breaking is the least of your problems.
          So you used a different style riser and they were OK so these should be fine?
          And you used them on the street approximately how many miles? In traffic ? what type riding ?

"Means you've probably hit something " "least of your worries"
          It's not going to be the "least of one's worries" when the brakes are applied hard, or downshift too rough or accelerate too hard or swerve and the figgin' handlebars flip forward! Or rearward.

Even If they just move, That statement and your opinion has NO truth. Recovery from a skid depends on handlebars! Even a minor skid at highspeed on highway in traffic for example (can think of an example)

Myself ,as well as others I know have had so much pressure applied to handlebars they bent, permanently...
          Some stupid additional pivot point would have been bad accident/death.
          As in flip over front of bike, Not "could" either ...In traffic, highway etc.!
          Jeez... first guy does a hit then the rest of the "team" piles on. These dog bones risers are not my cup of tea but are not particularly unsafe. I am sure NONE of the experts who eventually ended up calling the OP "ignorant" have ever actually used any. If the OP forgets to tighten them down, they could slip but otherwise no more prone to slipping on sticking a rider than any other handlebar related item. I personally have used low rise risers of this sort on several cruisers I have owned. I made it through still alive!
          Nobody called OP "ignorant" the only statement similar was something like: "IF you use those".
          "No more prone to slipping"
          Handlebars with standard ONE pivot point are already prone to slipping.

We must have very different riding styles as well as mechanical comprehension and riding experience or type most likely.
          "never actually used any"
          Why the h*ll would I ?
          it's bad enough when the bars move with ONE point this POS has THREE!
          Originally posted by maddman View Post
          WOW, I didn't expect such a backlash. Dog bone risers have been used since the 60's-70's. these are NOS from then. I'll see how it works.
          I doubt they're "NOS" .
          They might be a recreation of some bad idea years ago, heck a lot of bikes had no front brakes, no rear shocks, all sorts of stupid crap.
          Heck people didn't even need to use c*ndoms back then cause they had a shot for whatever.
          There's more traffic and hazards these days as well.
          Depends on one's riding style though.
          Well, hopefully you don't get hurt "trying them out".

A lot of pressure gets applied to the bars in an instant and a lot depends on one's reaction. That sort of thing happens in split-second too. Just from experience more than few times...Gotta run cook on grill

Comment

I believe the following was posted:

"Dangerous as hell. You're ignorant if you use that setup. Period. There's a reason they dont make them any more. You won't mind them at all until the day they kill you."

As far as not being made anymore, check around...

They are not my cup of tea, especially on a vintage bike but different strokes for different folks... as they say and I have never had my handlebars start rotating from being loose... have owned a LOT of bikes. These will work fine; if not a bit awkward looking for a GS... Oh, and if memory serves, folks from the 70s/80s, knew why a con-dum was worn I think... geesh, I believe I am talking to what might be considered "the younger generation" bwhahaha

Comment

I would not use them but I'm not going to hand out advice on something I'm not sure about. Speaking strictly for the leverage aspect, the farther up you get, the more leverage force that is applied to the furthest pivot point. I don't see why you couldn't just get handlebars that much higher, but the solid riser that attaches to the stock mount does seem like good advice to me as it minimizes the leverage for the same height bars.

Comment

got them on, and they are excellent.i reamed on them and nothing. They actually lock in tight. went for a ride and i love them. Raised the bars to about chest height, and I can extend my arms almost all the way out now, plus posture and riding position is improved considerably. Super comfortable as I'm 6'2'' 225lbs.
                Attached Files

Comment

Another view.
                  Attached Files

Comment

One more pic.
                    Attached Files

Comment

If you did it the right way you'd still be able to read your gauges, but that's none if my business. I really like how they clamp on to the smooth part of the chrome. Makes you wonder why Suzuki wasted their time and money engineering bars with specific clamping areas.

Comment

I can still read my gauges. As for the "Smooth" areas, they lock on just fine. I'm happy with it, and that's all that matters to me. I tested them vigorously before i rode anywhere. They are rock solid. why can't people simply voice their opinions without coming across as an ass hat?

Comment

I'm a mechanical engineer. Just from looking at them, I can tell you that there are serious issues. There is NO WAY I'd ever even consider using them. They are dangerous.

That's not my opinion. It's a fact.

If telling you that makes me an ass hat in your view, so be it...

Comment

I used Rox Risers on my Bandit, solid and tight. No worries with them.
                            sigpic
                            09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                            1983 GS1100e
                            82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                            1980 GS1260
                            Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

What's it matter how we tell you? Sensitive? Several people said it several different ways. The things are dangerous, it's not an opinion it's a fact, anyone saying otherwise is ignorant and pandering. You aren't listening any way.

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
                                I used Rox Risers on my Bandit, solid and tight. No worries with them.
                                http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...for-7-8-clamps
                                Yeah I saw those when I was looking for options. They provide similar effect and I like how it uses the stock clamping points on the h-bars.

Just my opinion, but trying them out by jerking on them will not provide the same forces that can be encountered in an accident. Be safe.
                                GSRick
                                No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                                Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Working...
                                X