No announcement yet.

dog bone risers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope this poor guy sends us a note when he gets impaled on the new risers so that all you "experts" and "engineers" can say "I TOLD YOU SO". In any case, I think the set up would look better if the bottom cross pipe were cut off on the ends some and then I would put some sort of plugs on the ends to avoid rust.

I heard this said once, "Even fools are thought wise when they keep silent; with their mouths shut, they seem intelligent." Seems like good advice to me.

Comment

Meanwhile, some of you obviously are NOT engineers.

3 things

1. Leverage is the obvious.

2. Clamping areas, not quite as obvious but still should be obvious.

3. Width of the riser clamping area affects the holding force.

Your warm fuzzy attitude is going to be what gets this guy hurt. The ones that care are laying it to him straight. Goddamn sensitive world we live in. The things are junk.

Comment

I agree that those risers are garbage. By moving the clamp width together the coupling(s) can't withstand as much torque as before, not to mention there are twice as many joints in the system now and the clamps are not on the serrated area of the bars so that's another strike against them. At minimum I'd move the clamps to the outside of the original handlebar clamps. That way the torque coupling is spread out more.

All that said, motorcycling is just plain dangerous, and those risers won't cause someone to crash all on their own (unless they slip). Assuming the bolts are properly tightened, only in an extreme situation where someone is torquing the hell out of the bars will there be risk of slippage, and at that point I think the rider will have bigger issues to deal with.
        Last edited by Nessism; 08-30-2016, 10:10 AM.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

"Width of the riser clamping area affects the holding force." Really? "Goddamn sensitive world we live in." Really? Geesh, I am not going to further respond as the thread has found the gutter.

Comment

Originally posted by geol View Post
            ...Geesh, I am not going to further respond...
            That's good to hear!
            Last edited by Guest; 08-30-2016, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by geol View Post
              "Width of the riser clamping area affects the holding force." Really?
              YES, really! With the clamps closer together than they were originally they will be under more stress when the handlebars are twisted. Moving the riser clamps to the outside of the original handlebar clamps should be done at minimum because that increases the amount of torque the setup can withstand before slipping.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                Moving the riser clamps to the outside of the original handlebar clamps should be done at minimum because that increases the amount of torque the setup can withstand before slipping.
                Does it look like he has room to move to the outside? Not sure of course but I think the bars will start their upward bend too soon to leave room for the clamp to seat properly which is super dangerous.

If you don't know that moving the clamps inward reduced the load they can handle then you shouldn't experiment with this system at all. It's not as simple as it looks.

Yes motorcyling is dangerous, which is why it is so important to NOT increase the danger with such a risk as using these risers on this bike.

Buy a set of handlebars dude. This is not a high school project is it? If you were one of my friends I'd badger and ridicule you for this mistake til couldn't stand it and finally realized it'd be much easier if you just bought bars to shut me up.

So, did you lengthen your cables and all that nonsense?

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
                  I used Rox Risers on my Bandit, solid and tight. No worries with them.
                  http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...for-7-8-clamps
                  pretty much the same thing.

Comment

Those risers are engineered correctly. Oversized clamps in correct alignment. Couldn't really argue with that set other than multiplying the clamping points and hardware x2 (thereby increasing the risk of failure x2). Still not sure why you wouldn't just change the bars.

Comment

Originally posted by DohcBikes View Post
                      Those risers are engineered correctly. Oversized clamps in correct alignment. Couldn't really argue with that set other than multiplying the clamping points and hardware x2 (thereby increasing the risk of failure x2). Still not sure why you wouldn't just change the bars.
                      I plan to.... eventually. Just not sure what bars I want yet. Definately gonna go with 10'' though.

Comment

Originally posted by DohcBikes View Post
                        Can't anybody calculate around here?
                        There are now 6 clamp points, normally there are 2. Ok, 6/2=3. SO the increased risk factor is x3.
                        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Good call. Your cookie is in the mail

Comment

Originally posted by dohcbikes View Post
                            good call. Your cookie is in the mail

lol........

Comment

Just an update. I was riding down I-540, and the truck in front of me slammed on its brakes to avoid a car that cut across three lanes to make an exit. I had to hit my brakes hard. Wouldn't you know it, handle bars NEVER MOVED. I thought I was going to bend them, rear tire came up a bit. So there you have it, I would definitely suggest these dog bones any day. If you do get some please wrench them down tight.

Comment

Originally posted by maddman View Post
                                Just an update. I was riding down I-540, and the truck in front of me slammed on its brakes to avoid a car that cut across three lanes to make an exit. I had to hit my brakes hard. Wouldn't you know it, handle bars NEVER MOVED. I thought I was going to bend them, rear tire came up a bit. So there you have it, I would definitely suggest these dog bones any day. If you do get some please wrench them down tight.
                                WooHoo! Escaped Darwin Moment, this time.

They'll probably get loose little by little and /or completely fail when most needed, IMO.

People tend to get "complacent", habit or whatever. I was going to suggest bringing the allen-wrench to remove or tighten them when a wiggle is noticed, but it's not even a reasonable suggestion...

Those ONLY should go on Harley-Davidson.
                                Also the sides should be etched "HARLEY FTW"
                                Oh, and they should cost about ten times whatever you paid for them.
                                -A more expensive version should be made with a skull and/or flames logos.
                                -A much more expensive version in chrome plated as well.

Anyway replied because this:
                                Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                                Can't anybody calculate around here?
                                There are now 6 clamp points, normally there are 2. Ok, 6/2=3. SO the increased risk factor is x3.
                                I mentioned it in my (second I think)reply , and was going to correct the "2x" myself but was tired of stupid thread...

Originally posted by Myself
                                ..."never actually used any"
                                Why the h*ll would I ?
                                it's bad enough when the bars move with ONE point this POS has THREE!...
                                My old Harley (Dangerous piece of crap pretty much, looked great/rode ok though) , the nice looking ,good condition bars/clamps, used to have like "dual position" , they'd move to one spot.
                                I could push or yank them back to other spot...I was so stupid or careless really back then, I'd put them up for cruising or down for more serious stuff...Oh, man I have some crazy parts fails from that bike (Near very serious/ death type fails avoided) stories! The crazy thing, I had a book thick folder with recpt's for all the aftermarket crap installed by dealerships totalling thousands $$ from two PO's...

BTW, I heard that most of the "Hero" cops "killed in line of duty" were mostly MC cops riding harleys ...accidents. I don't doubt it but dunno for certain...
                                :

Comment

Working...
                                X