arent these threads backwards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

arent these threads backwards?

I have been a member on a few forums before... and usually the OP is on the first page, and comments working down from there... doesn't it seem strange that I have to click to the bottom of the last page just to see what the thread was about? is this an error? or done purposefully? i can honestly say that is a major reason I do not frequent this forum often.

you need to change your settings.
    The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

Click on Settings at the top, Edit General Settings, and then change it to Linear oldest to newest.
      sigpic
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

So here is the question,why is it set up this way?The fix is easy enough but why do we all have to do it?The forum went though a major revision a couple of years ago but I guess this bit of strangeness stayed

Comment

And while you are changing the order of the posts, change the number shown per page to the maximum of 40.

Showing fewer posts per page made sense when everybody was on dial-up, but not now.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

What a relief to have found this thread! Threads that read latest to earliest were breaking my feeble brain.

Comment

New here, was finding it a bit odd reading through the posts. Glad I stumbled across this too - all sorted now :-)

Comment

Perhaps it's a left hand thread.

Anyway that's what I thought when I read the title.
                Last edited by Kiwi Canuck; 09-13-2017, 09:10 AM.
                2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
                2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
                1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
                2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
                1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
                1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
                1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
                Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi Canuck View Post
                  Perhaps it's a left hand thread.

Anyway that's what I thought when I read the title.
                  Ha, I though bolt threads too- like the left handed threads on the right side of my old Chrysler wheels.
                  Personally, I like new posts first. Another site I'm on is original first and I cant change it. It annoys me a tad.
                  sigpic
                  When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                  -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                  -Rusty old scooter.
                  Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                  https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    And while you are changing the order of the posts, change the number shown per page to the maximum of 40.

Showing fewer posts per page made sense when everybody was on dial-up, but not now.

Thanks for that - very helpful.
                    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

I'm a fan of newest posts first, because it makes the most sense to me when following an active thread over time.

However, if I am reading something for the first time, I do appreciate having the OP first. For that reason, I did change my settings from the default. It's not that hard to click on the "First Unread" tab to get back to where I left off.
                      '83 GS650G
                      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Horses for courses... in the long threads it makes sense to have the newest first by default, it's certainly not the first or only forum I use that has it organised this way
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                          I'm a fan of newest posts first, because it makes the most sense to me when following an active thread over time.

However, if I am reading something for the first time, I do appreciate having the OP first. For that reason, I did change my settings from the default. It's not that hard to click on the "First Unread" tab to get back to where I left off.
                          The basic screen format allows you to select the last page of any thread immediately, so the suggestion of reverse reading is available.

That said, reversing the post order works if you have been following a thread for some time, and but I suspect most people opening a thread for the first time will think it appropriate to see what it is all about before reading the latest comments.

For viewers who are familiar with how posts work on GSR, the standard format seems highly preferable because posters so often go off-topic, and reading the latest does not let you see what the thread is/was supposed to be about.
                          "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                          Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Working...
                          X