Basket Case Project 1980 GS1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sealpup View Post
    ...As for the petcock, the one pictured is the correct one for a 1980 GS1000. It's possible you have a 1979 tank, which requires a different (and better) petcock. Maybe a PO adapted an '80 petcock to a '79 tank.
    Based on the paint job, I would say that that is a 1980 model year tank.

Comment

Originally posted by rudeman View Post
      Based on the paint job, I would say that that is a 1980 model year tank.
      The previous owner had repainted it so I'm not sure if paint is an accurate judge of year.

Comment

Originally posted by BasketCase View Post
        The previous owner had repainted it so I'm not sure if paint is an accurate judge of year.
        Good point. Also read further in the thread where there was evidence of relocating the petcock. Those '80 petcocks lack a proper lever and a reserve setting; a problem resolved in '81 on the 1100. The 80 and 81 units might be interchangeable. I'm not sure if a '79 tank/petcock would provide sufficient clearance for the CV diaphragm covers.

Pretty rad looking headlight assembly!

Comment

Thanks Rudeman!

Comment

Man some times I feel like an old negative nancy. You said in a previous post you were an "idiot" to take on the project, but I don't think that's true. You just want a bike to perform and look the way you want it to and I get that. I just wonder if you could have spent your money better. I am on/in some KZ sites and groups and see your kind of build quite often with 900/1000 KZ's.

So far you have replaced the exhaust, wheels, headlight, gauges, complete front suspension, complete rear suspension, front brake system and handlebars. By the end of the project your going have a 35 year old engine/frame surrounded by great components. If you were looking for a newer technology & performance I might have recommended a B-King or 'Busa.

As I said I am probably too traditional to fully appreciate the build and seeing that your paying a hired gun I think I hear your wallet crying. Would you be willing to share what this build is costing you soup to nuts?

Comment

Yeah, I'll just say that so far, all in I'm out probably 7 grand, including bike. I'm certainly not going to ride the **** out of the GS getting knee down and scraping pegs. I've got a Ducati Monster 900 to hit the twisties on. The GS is more akin to a midlife crisis mobile. It's like those guys who spend Corvette money on Hondas, practical, no, but it's a goal and dream of mine.

I have considered dropping a Bandit 1200 motor in and get the frame braced but that's not high up on the list yet.

Comment

Errmm, maybe 'midlife crisis' is too strong a term, I'm just at the point where I'm financially able to do this and I should, before kids come into play and I have to thin down the herd.

Comment

I have considered dropping a Bandit 1200 motor in and get the frame braced but that's not high up on the list yet.
                  At which point it would no longer be correct to call it a 1980 GS1000 since literally none of the original components would be left!
                  Charles
                  --
                  1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
                    At which point it would no longer be correct to call it a 1980 GS1000 since literally none of the original components would be left!
                    +1 Right on

Comment

Yeah, I'll just say that so far, all in I'm out probably 7 grand, including bike. I'm certainly not going to ride the **** out of the GS getting knee down and scraping pegs. I've got a Ducati Monster 900 to hit the twisties on. The GS is more akin to a midlife crisis mobile. It's like those guys who spend Corvette money on Hondas, practical, no, but it's a goal and dream of mine.

I was guessing it was an 8-9K project. If you got it spend it I guess, keeps the economy going if nothing else.

Comment

Originally posted by nejeff View Post
                        I was guessing it was an 8-9K project. If you got it spend it I guess, keeps the economy going if nothing else.
                        Yeah, I feel like the 'whys' of it would take us down a road oft visited when it comes to these hobbies. It's like why even own or modify a bike? Automobiles are at their core, meant for transportation, why make them fast or faster? Why buy a classic bike and restore it if you could easily get a more modern one. I've grown up around the car scene, then the motocross and mountain biking niche, so it's not a new argument for me. I don't have a ton of cash burning a hole in my wallet but I did save my extra income and bikes are my only hobby so...

Comment

I spent at least $10K on by GS1100ED and that was doing the restomod after a stock refub. Not sure what all the grousing is intended to accomplish except try and eliminate boredom at the expense of the OP.

Some people appreciate the OP taking the time to post his pictures and these comments certainly do nothing to motivate him further.

Comment

Thanks Posplayr, I don't mind really. I pretty much opened myself to other's opinions once I started this build thread. This forum has given me a wealth of knowledge in the short time I've been on here so it's really all good. From what I've seen so far, the signal to noise ratio for this forum is really decent too.

Cheers yall.
                            Last edited by Guest; 09-01-2016, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post

you should also do dome reading snd start a thread about fixing your tank. Those liners can be removed and the CAsewell coatings are much thicker but the tank needs to be structurally sound. There is s thread right now of another gs1000 tribute bike where the owner just discovered a leaking tank following repair.
                              Hmm, I'll check that thread out. Thanks for the headsup.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                                I spent at least $10K on by GS1100ED and that was doing the restomod after a stock refub. Not sure what all the grousing is intended to accomplish except try and eliminate boredom at the expense of the OP.

Some people appreciate the OP taking the time to post his pictures and these comments certainly do nothing to motivate him further.
                                Yeah, pretty much boredom relief.

Not grousing, just offering an opinion and I'm expert on my opinion and if the OP didn't want opinion(s) he would not have started the post. I have personally seen dozens upon dozens of over funded projects that seemingly don't make a lot of money sense and amazingly when the project completes it goes on Craigslist (and losses money) or gets abandoned and I get a call to bring cash/check and trailer.

I appreciate the subject and pictures and I will be following along BasketCase, hope all turns out like you want it and enjoy it!

Comment

Working...
                                X