No announcement yet.

Basket Case Project 1980 GS1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try CB900F/1100F shocks - from memory they're about 30MM longer with a slightly narrower clevis - I , vaguely remember dressing a set with a hand file to fit to a friends GS - it was 20 years ago though

And yeah - keep on keeping on with the build and the pictures - money isn't everything, neither is ultimate value - Its the sense of achievement and opportunity to build something your own style - I'm mid build too

IMG_1226.jpg
    78 GS1000C- Now sporting 1100E suspension and numerous goodies
    82 GS750E/82 1100E/ GSXR Frankenstein bike completed
    83 1100E "rescue bike" saved from the barn
    2008 Bking - Torque Torque Torque
    Next project slowly coalescing

Comment

Right on Bsharpish, I'll give the CB shocks a look.

Comment

You should be able to get the tank liner out then have it welded.... Nessism has posted some stuff on that on the past.
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

“I have considered dropping a Bandit 1200 motor in and get the frame braced but that's not high up on the list yet.”
          Originally posted by eil View Post
          At which point it would no longer be correct to call it a 1980 GS1000 since literally none of the original components would be left!
          Have to agree with a logical limit to the goal of bike modifications.
          I would install an aluminum swingarm, but not covert to single shock or install GSXR forks onto a GS.
          Then update to a GSXR engine? That's when you've lost track of logic.
          Then you may as well just buy a Bandit 1200, or GSXR.
          What makes sense is to buy one of those in bad shape, then mod/style it your way.
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Off to powdercoater's

Yeah, there's definitely a logical limit, but at this point I'm not really sure I'm on the right side of the line.

Got the bike disassembled for the powdercoater's.

And the rearsets figured out.

Comment

Exhausting

And will have this welded on now that the rearsets are sorted.

The swingarm monoshock mount gets plugged.

Thanks for following along!

Comment

Enjoying your build, and upgrades look great, Phil.
                Gotta ask; any engine modifications planned? Perhaps mechanical carbs?
                '80 GS1000ST
                '92 ZX-11
                Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Z. View Post
                  Thanks Frank! I would love to get some Keihin FCRs or even Yoshimura carbs on there but at this stage my budget won't allow it. Its got a Dynojet stage 3 kit, pods, and full exhaust so far, as well as some ignition mods.

Comment

ummm, i think that muffler is going to be LOUD.
                    Snazzy looking rearsets.
                    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I sure hope it's loud!

Comment

Originally posted by BasketCase View Post
                        I sure hope it's loud!
                        Almost a tip extension rather than a shorty

Comment

Loud pipes saves lives, and degrades my hearing.

Comment

Originally posted by BasketCase View Post
                            Loud pipes saves lives, and degrades my hearing.
                            Wrong! They have nothing to do with saving lives. Only idiots make that claim.

Loud pipes on a street bike aggravate people.

They make non-riders view all of us in a bad light.

They are obnoxious.

Comment

Originally posted by JJ View Post
                              Wrong! They have nothing to do with saving lives. Only idiots make that claim.

Loud pipes on a street bike aggravate people.

They make non-riders view all of us in a bad light.

They are obnoxious.
                              Couple things:
                              -Loud pipe **MIGHT** save one's life. It's true ,out our way ,(Just noticed location).

I've been riding on 95N, in "faster" left lane, had a lady just change lanes right at me once.
                              I just rolled all the way onto shoulder,
                              slowed and let her get passed , cut back onto actual highway...(Then lane split on her, not out of spite though).
                              That sort of thing is just "normal driving" here.
                              Didn't get mad or anything because she just didn't see (or hear) that bike.
                              It's just common.
                              The WORST by far though is a little north in Montgomery county.
                              It's as if (is actually) the entire place was designed specifically for just arrived foreign born people to work, go home, pay some taxes ,send some money home and do absolutely nothing else or care about anything else including learning to drive besides enough to somehow get to work and back home.

-"Non-riders view..." Non riders can eat a ....
                              Unless it's me trying to sleep. Then a WoooM weeeeee RRRRREEEEE! followed by , "KaBOOM!" has me laughing.
                              Then I think, "Crap, it's so late maybe nobody will help the guy"
                              Then I went to look but by then there's already a cop car shining spot light into woods talking into loud speaker:,"IF your there you need to come out right away" Because the guy took off after smashing his GSXR into a crater in back of funny looking small SUV that decided to change lanes , just for heck of it right when the poor guy (returning from closing time at bar probably because 2AM) nailed throttle without enough experience to know better...

Cool project BTW!
                              This type engine is cool loud when a loud Harley drives by in neighborhood for example anyway. Makes their bike sound like a really loud fart comparitively, the four cylinder w/ loud pipe sounds like a killer IMO...always funny to happen. Never gets old.

I'm ranting too too much, Goodnight!
                              -

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Z. View Post
                                Maybe you don't know that webcamshafts.com has a list of cams for the 8V gs1000?
                                They're a tease for me because they fit my 1100G too.
                                "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                                1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                                1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                                1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Working...
                                X