• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or maybe a gsx1100 wheel for the rear
    I build Pipers

Comment

Originally posted by thebrandonbeezy View Post
      So after about 2 hours of messing about the katana front end literally bolted on no problem.. the bike looks so good with a 17 on it the only problem now is the kat rim is wider then the gs rear rim so are there any narrow 17s that would go on??
      Being shaft drive you're probably out of luck.

The only one I can think of that has a similar wheel is the XJ900s Diversion:

But I don't think they were even released in the US.

They ran a 150 tyre though.
      Current:
      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Idk, i read the kat axle and gs axles are the same diameter so if thats true then ill end up with the gs wheel upfront again. but the new forks feel nice and alot stiffer than the trashed gs forks. Even on their softest setting they were as stiff as the gs forks aired up
        I build Pipers

Comment

So after about 2 hours of messing about the katana front end literally bolted on no problem.. the bike looks so good with a 17 on it the only problem now is the kat rim is wider then the gs rear rim so are there any narrow 17s that would go on??
          Like the way the Kat front end bolted on there.
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

The narrowest 17" front you are going to find will be a 3.0" wheel (which is what the Katana wheel should be) because no one ran 17's up front until radials came about and that is the narrowest radial rim anyone used there. If you go to an 18" wheel then there is much more selection around. If you swap in a narrower front wheel you will most likely have to mess with the brakes and spacers to get everything to line up properly.

Or maybe a gsx1100 wheel for the rear
            Pretty tough with the shaft drive, there are no easy swaps there.

Idk, i read the kat axle and gs axles are the same diameter so if thats true then ill end up with the gs wheel upfront again. but the new forks feel nice and alot stiffer than the trashed gs forks. Even on their softest setting they were as stiff as the gs forks aired up
            Regardless of how they feel you should still get the correct spring rate for the bike and set it up properly. The stock Katana springs may not be too far off, but don't just leave it as is without measuring sag and getting things set properly.

Mark
            1982 GS1100E
            1998 ZX-6R
            2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Regardless of how they feel you should still get the correct spring rate for the bike and set it up properly. The stock Katana springs may not be too far off, but don't just leave it as is without measuring sag and getting things set properly.

Mark[/QUOTE]

Thats the plan I've emailed racetech with my weight and the bikes current weight with half a tank of gas
              I build Pipers

Comment

If anyone had the measurement of the rear gsx1100g wheel outer lip to outer lip that would help. I know it will physically bolt to my rear diff. I've seen alot of posts asking but no one has tried it (that ive seen)
                Last edited by thebrandonbeezy; 11-23-2016, 02:50 PM.
                I build Pipers

Comment

Thats the plan I've emailed racetech with my weight and the bikes current weight with half a tank of gas
                  Good deal. You could also try Rich at Sonic springs, he is a member of this site and a great resource for our older bikes.

If anyone had the measurement of the rear gsx1100g wheel outer lip to outer lip that would help. I know it will physically bolt to my rear diff. I've seen alot of posts asking but no one has tried it (that ive seen)
                  Partzilla lists the 1100G wheel as an MT2.50x17. That doesn't help with overall width but you can compare to the wheel you have and see what the approximate width change will be based on the wheel sizing. This wheel is used on the 650G, 850G and 1100G from 82 on if that helps your parts shopping at all.

Mark
                  1982 GS1100E
                  1998 ZX-6R
                  2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Which 1100g are you looking up?
                    I build Pipers

Comment

Which 1100g are you looking up?
                      1982-83.

Mark
                      1982 GS1100E
                      1998 ZX-6R
                      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

So for my weight and the bikes my recommended spring rate is 1.108 kg they offer a 1.0 (off the shelf) sonic has a 1.10 for much less $ and thats dam near spot on so ill probably go with that.
                        I build Pipers

Comment

content://com.sec.android.app.sbrowser/readinglist/1124112957.mhtml
                          Theres a nice rebuild for these forks if anyone is interested
                          I build Pipers

Comment

Rebuilding 89-97 Katana GSX600/750 Forks
                            I build Pipers

Comment

So for my weight and the bikes my recommended spring rate is 1.108 kg they offer a 1.0 (off the shelf) sonic has a 1.10 for much less $ and thats dam near spot on so ill probably go with that.
                              Talk to Rich Desmond here and confirm that, but it is in the ballpark. I weigh 185lb and used Sonic 1.0kg/mm springs on my 1100E with great results. Sonic service and support was excellent for me and I will go back to them first for any future spring needs.

Mark
                              1982 GS1100E
                              1998 ZX-6R
                              2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Yeah I'd like to hear from him too
                                I build Pipers

Comment

Working...
                                X