Vermont registration for lost title bikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vermont registration for lost title bikes

A lot of you will know this already, but some may not. I bought a GR650 Tempter with no title a few weeks ago. After 23 years of crud, cobwebs, failed gaskets, a battery and regulator were attended to, I applied for a Vermont registration. It took 3 weeks to get my pretty green and white license plate and registration. Vermont does not title older vehicles, just registers them. The process is not too complicated. I needed a police officer to do a signed VIN check. A bill of sale(not notarized is accepted but recommended), A copy of the NADA "GOOD" condition value page from the NADA value book (on line) and the appropriate Vermont application gets mailed in. A fee of $48 plus sales tax of 6% of that NADA value (less than $50 in my case) got me in business. I live in Illinois(spit) and now I can take the Vermont registration to my local DMV and transfer the VT registration into an Illinois title. Get all the forms necessary from the Vermont motor vehicle website. A word of advice if you are purchasing a bike with no title. Do VIN check before you buy it. Bring the Vermont application and bill of sale with you when you purchase it. The former owner must sign the application.

This is pretty much what title companies will do for you and charge you a fee to do it. You sign a power of attorney and they do this all in your name. If you follow the Vermont instructions, it works. I imagine the state makes a pretty penny with all the people doing this for 15 year old (or more) bike and cars.

Mike Sr.

So may i ask you this question?? Would you be willing to make a few bucks and do this for guys like me. Oklahoma ( far as I have been able to find out ) doesnt accept the Vermont registration deal.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

You should double check that Chuck.I'm not sure how a state DMV cannot accept another states valid registration. If the state does not issue titles, it does not issue titles. I think you would be good with it. I'm in CT, I've had a couple guys at work get vehicles registered here thru the same process in VT.

Here's a vin check website. I've used it before, seems to be accurate, i checked the VIN of a Bike i knew was totaled and it came back as being total loss. https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck

Comment

As far as I know is what i said about the OK system. from what i understand your only recourse is the Title 42 process and its a huge pain in the rear jumping through the circus hoops they have set up.
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Good info Mike, and pretty much what I've found when researching for a GS850 that i just bought.

I thought you also had to get an inspection too? Maybe I misread the requirements.

I also have a GR650. It is a fun bike. Too bad they never really caught on in the US. I've done a lot of work to get it all sorted out and now runs quite well for a 30 something bike.

Comment

I was trying to get a title for my 1990 Katana 750, and was almost able except some P-O had in fact ground off the engine numbers. Would not pass with that funky business.
            Lucky I found a frame with title and bought that.
            The unbolt and rebolt transfer process went so fast and easy I can't remember doing it, only remember spending a couple days spray painting the titled frame silver.
            Still riding the bike.
            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Chuck, I've been doing it for years, on several bikes. It's my understanding that other states HAVE to respect the fact that Vermont doesn't title older motorcycles. They may have to go look it up in the big Green Weenie in back, they may bitch and moan, may go get some supervisor or manager, they may act like you are a criminal, but that are required to issue the registration and if you state has them, a title.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Tom...I have been searching the Oklahoma DMV site and cant find any information on if they recognise the registrations from states that dont issue a actual title. Dont know but i guess i can stop in one of the several offices in my area and ask questions.

Comment

They will accept it. From what I have read. the only state that gave any grief is New Jersey. Several years ago I went with a service that got me a Vermont registration. An Illinois title application then went smoothly. I am posting a link where I learned about this loophole. It is a few years old and the registration price is not current, but the info is very good and entertaining.

Sorry, I should have posted this first.

Mike Sr.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sr View Post
                    They will accept it. From what I have read. the only state that gave any grief is New Jersey. Several years ago I went with a service that got me a Vermont registration. An Illinois title application then went smoothly. I am posting a link where I learned about this loophole. It is a few years old and the registration price is not current, but the info is very good and entertaining.

Sorry, I should have posted this first.

Mike Sr.
                    That info was for small displacement bikes.
                    They have another more-recent posting for bikes over 300cc: http://www.chinonthetank.com/2016/03...orcycle-title/

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                      Tom...I have been searching the Oklahoma DMV site and cant find any information on if they recognise the registrations from states that dont issue a actual title. Dont know but i guess i can stop in one of the several offices in my area and ask questions.
                      There is no information just do it and it will work. Huge pain in the aZZ and the DMV people will look at you like you have a third arm or something but eventually they will go get a big book that tells the difference from state to state. Keep in mind it's not free or anything. They go off book value (vermont) for their sales tax and even if you paid a 5¢ that means nothing. If you paid a $100 and book is $1000 you pay the sales tax on $1000 period. It can damn near be a wash and save a bunch of hassle to just do the typical bonded title.

Comment

OK doesnt have a bonded title system. If they did I would go that way as I did that in Texas and it was a cake walk.

Comment

NH is much the same as Vermont for requirements. I can take a bike with only a bill of sale, have local PD vin check it ($10) then register bike and apply for title ($27). My reg usually cost $35 or so on the older Suzuki's, my CBR was $60. So all told I can reg and title pretty much any bike title or not to start with for less than $100.

Comment

As far as I know, Vermont is the only state that allows out of state residents to register in their state and do the whole process by mail. I won't be afraid of another lost title bike/barn find as long as I check the VIN for theft. It is still another cost to consider on the purchase price. I'd still rather have the title and not jump through the required hoops, but it is a viable alternative.

Mike Sr.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowFocus603 View Post
                              NH is much the same as Vermont for requirements. I can take a bike with only a bill of sale, have local PD vin check it ($10) then register bike and apply for title ($27). My reg usually cost $35 or so on the older Suzuki's, my CBR was $60. So all told I can reg and title pretty much any bike title or not to start with for less than $100.
                              Not true anymore on anything 2000 or newer. I hear if it's 2000 or newer regrades of age you need a title now. My brother in-law bought a 2001 Buel without title and is now having a hell of a time for the only way to register is with title...

Vermont is awesome. The guys at the DMV actually love it when you walk in with a hand written bill of sale.
                              Jedz Moto
                              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                              1988 Honda GL1500-6
                              2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                              2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                              2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                              Originally posted by Hayabuser
                              Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Working...
                              X