No announcement yet.

Vermont registration for lost title bikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What exactly does the VIN check involve? Do they match the engine/frame VIN #'s or just look at the VIN on your frame and look it up in their database?

I have an untitled frame with the engine in my other (titled) frame that I want to title and then build on and would prefer not to put the engine in just for show.
    1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
    1977 GS550
    1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

In Colorado they just read the VIN off the frame and write it on an official looking piece of paper. No looking up anything, no engine numbers.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        In Colorado they just read the VIN off the frame and write it on an official looking piece of paper. No looking up anything, no engine numbers.
        Wow, you guys have it easy. Here you bring in the bike....intact. Right down to the seat being on the bike, tank on the bike and headlight MUST be on the bike. They right the number down but they DO run it into the computer to check for stolens. Pay your $15 and on your way. Been refused an inspection twice now, once I rode the bike down but headlight was gone, once I trailered a honda down but had the tank off because it was in the process of paint

Comment

Mialing address?

Curios as the where you sent your forms to? I assume the main office would be best.

Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
          120 State Street
          Montpelier, VT 05603-0001

Originally posted by Mike Sr View Post
          A lot of you will know this already, but some may not. I bought a GR650 Tempter with no title a few weeks ago. After 23 years of crud, cobwebs, failed gaskets, a battery and regulator were attended to, I applied for a Vermont registration. It took 3 weeks to get my pretty green and white license plate and registration. Vermont does not title older vehicles, just registers them. The process is not too complicated. I needed a police officer to do a signed VIN check. A bill of sale(not notarized is accepted but recommended), A copy of the NADA "GOOD" condition value page from the NADA value book (on line) and the appropriate Vermont application gets mailed in. A fee of $48 plus sales tax of 6% of that NADA value (less than $50 in my case) got me in business. I live in Illinois(spit) and now I can take the Vermont registration to my local DMV and transfer the VT registration into an Illinois title. Get all the forms necessary from the Vermont motor vehicle website. A word of advice if you are purchasing a bike with no title. Do VIN check before you buy it. Bring the Vermont application and bill of sale with you when you purchase it. The former owner must sign the application.

This is pretty much what title companies will do for you and charge you a fee to do it. You sign a power of attorney and they do this all in your name. If you follow the Vermont instructions, it works. I imagine the state makes a pretty penny with all the people doing this for 15 year old (or more) bike and cars.

Mike Sr.

Comment

Not true anymore on anything 2000 or newer. I hear if it's 2000 or newer regrades of age you need a title now. My brother in-law bought a 2001 Buel without title and is now having a hell of a time for the only way to register is with title...

Vermont is awesome. The guys at the DMV actually love it when you walk in with a hand written bill of sale.
            There's some law regarding abandon vehicles too.(In probably EVERY state) For example: "It was in yard when we moved in and previous homeowner stated to keep it , but we cannot contact him, need it off our property, sold, scrapped ,but can't ..."
            This also protects businesses when junked vehicles are abandoned in their parking lot, etc.
            Otherwise it'd be impossible to get rid of/ sell.
            On DMV site it's something like posting an ad stating it will be sold/auctioned for some period of time (like 30 days or such).
            Can't recall exact details but should/could be useful for the Buell ...

Oh and after last night don't think anything is "awesome" about vermont...don't even want to eat syrup or whatever weird crap from there OR most new england BTW...WEIRDOS!
            [EDIT: bad joke, not all, just too much, VA too, BTW]
            Last edited by Guest; 11-09-2016, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Yup were weird up here.
              For motorcycle ownership and gun ownership it is pretty awesome up here.

Not sure where your going with "after last night". I was happy To have a Republican Governor and Lt Governor back in the state house.

Clinton was not my choice FYI but neither was Trump. Jedz wrote in this year.
              Last edited by Jedz123; 11-12-2016, 11:37 AM.
              Jedz Moto
              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
              1988 Honda GL1500-6
              2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
              2020 Honda Monkey Z125
              2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
              Originally posted by Hayabuser
              Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

There are many dirtbikes running around New Jersey with green tags. You can rip through state parks if it's titled / tagged / insured.
                But I believe there was a 2 year wait before your green tag can become a NJ street title.
                1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
                1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
                1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
                Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                  Not true anymore on anything 2000 or newer. I hear if it's 2000 or newer regrades of age you need a title now. My brother in-law bought a 2001 Buel without title and is now having a hell of a time for the only way to register is with title...

Vermont is awesome. The guys at the DMV actually love it when you walk in with a hand written bill of sale.
                  I have actually hand written a bill of sale IN the DMV office!!!!!!
                  The only thing about registering an older bike or car in Vermont is if you DO have a title and the vehicle doesn't require one, if you send it in with the registration for reassignment, they don't send it back. If the vehicle doesn't require a title and you have it, keep it for future use. Is that clear as mud?????

Comment

Working...
                  X