Dogs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vmass View Post
    I posted it because it worked for me, not because it is in print or on the internet. This harness does not rotate around the body, it's simple....the dog does not pull anymore with this harness.

I suppose what happens is if the dog does pull he will be turned in an unwanted direction. My dog learned almost immediately that it is senseless for him to pull with this harness on.

It's quite simple, it worked for my dog in the way the manufacturer intended it to. I am sure there are other good options.

Most dogs new to leash training will pull ahead to the limit of the leash and try to lead the owner. The reason for this is they don't know the game plan and where they are supposed to be. That information has to be communicated in a consistent and pleasant manner. Training should never be unpleasant for the dog. That means minimum possible use of force, no yelling or raised voice, and no punitive measures. Praise when right and no praise when wrong.

A harness is not needed for teaching a dog to walk on a leash without pulling.

Standard leash walking lesson. Six or eight foot leash.
    Dog on left, end of leash in right hand with a loop over finger of left hand. Normal walking speed. Step forward with left foot (dog sees foot move and knows we're going to move). Start walking. dog will catch up and move ahead to end of leash. At that point, pin your left hand to your side holding leash and pivot on your left foot reversing direction and continue walking normally. Dog will be pulled and have to catch up with you again. When dog catches up and again pulls ahead, pin the leash to your left side, pivot and reverse direction again. Walk until dog once more pulls ahead and repeat. The dog will learn very quickly that he has to watch you to know where to go. Do this little lesson for 3 or 4 minutes at a time, twice a day. They learn quickly that they need to be on your left and able to watch your left leg so as to know where to go.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
      Most dogs new to leash training will pull ahead to the limit of the leash and try to lead the owner. The reason for this is they don't know the game plan and where they are supposed to be. That information has to be communicated in a consistent and pleasant manner. Training should never be unpleasant for the dog. That means minimum possible use of force, no yelling or raised voice, and no punitive measures. Praise when right and no praise when wrong.

A harness is not needed for teaching a dog to walk on a leash without pulling.

Standard leash walking lesson. Six or eight foot leash.
      Dog on left, end of leash in right hand with a loop over finger of left hand. Normal walking speed. Step forward with left foot (dog sees foot move and knows we're going to move). Start walking. dog will catch up and move ahead to end of leash. At that point, pin your left hand to your side holding leash and pivot on your left foot reversing direction and continue walking normally. Dog will be pulled and have to catch up with you again. When dog catches up and again pulls ahead, pin the leash to your left side, pivot and reverse direction again. Walk until dog once more pulls ahead and repeat. The dog will learn very quickly that he has to watch you to know where to go. Do this little lesson for 3 or 4 minutes at a time, twice a day. They learn quickly that they need to be on your left and able to watch your left leg so as to know where to go.
      It's all good! I am sure your tutorial works great. The harness in the video works great for me....I'm happy, the primary dog walker is happy and most importantly......Kodiak is happy:

Comment

Easy Walk Harness Talk

Good feedback Vmass and wonderful picture of your dog and Wes Cooley bike!

Thanks to you too Earl. You're the Cesar Millan of the GSR. (Minus the ethnic background)

I keep our Isis to my left when I walk her in the park. I let her sniff her way through the pathway because she is so excited to smell everything! When she takes too long in her sniffing or sniffs some poop, I pull on the EASY WALK harness and we continue to walk the path. If we come upon another dog, I have Isis sit on my left with chain length short enough that she knows to stay near me. (Loose but not tight) We walk in unison but sometimes she pulls me and I bring her back closer to me.

I like the harness because it doesn't choke her when I pull on her chain. She's only ever pulled me when we had that heavy snow. That's why I wrote that I felt like a bob-sled.

Thanks for the inputs on this harness and of course pics of your dogs! Here she is on that Snow Walk.

Ed
        Last edited by GSXR7ED; 03-07-2017, 10:34 PM.
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

My guys are so accustomed to walking on a leash that they stay 12" from my left knee on their own. They don't need me for that, so for usual daily walk about things, I don't use a leash. I do sometimes carry a 6' length of kite string with a small loop tied in each end for "special occasions". If anyone says, hey, you have to have that dog on a leash, I get out the kite string, drop a loop over the Shep's neck and put the loop at the other end of the string over my finger tip and then look at the person and say, satisfied? LOL

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

This little terrier just has to sniff everything.

Roger

Current rides
            1983 GS 850G
            2003 FJR 1300A
            Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
              This little terrier just has to sniff everything.

My Jack Russell (Parson's Russel specifically), looks just like that. His coat is so feathery silky and soft, his nick name is Bird. I can walk thorough the house and say, where de bird and he comes running. heh

Comment

My Jack Russell (Parson's Russel specifically), looks just like that. His coat is so feathery silky and soft, his nick name is Bird. I can walk thorough the house and say, where de bird and he comes running. heh
                Is he always sticking his nose in your tailpipe too?
                Roger

Current rides
                1983 GS 850G
                2003 FJR 1300A
                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

He's probably thinking, this motorcycle was running lean.
                  My Motorcycles:
                  22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                  22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                  82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                  81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                  79 1000e (all original)
                  82 850g (all original)
                  80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                    Is he always sticking his nose in your tailpipe too?
                    The "Bird" sticks his nose in anything that isn't more than 10" above the floor. heh

Comment

This is Amber. She's a border collie mix and LOVES to trail walk. High energy but very well behaved. She's agility trained and has several legs. Can't go anywhere without someone asking if they can pet her.:

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                        This is Amber. She's a border collie mix and LOVES to trail walk. High energy but very well behaved. She's agility trained and has several legs. Can't go anywhere without someone asking if they can pet her.:

How beautiful Amber is! She looks happy and that's always a good sign that she is loved.

Ed
                        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                          This is Amber.
                          Great doggie portraits.
                          Great photos of a nice dog.
                          You have something of a photo studio....?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                            Great doggie portraits.
                            Great photos of a nice dog.
                            You have something of a photo studio....?

Can't take credit for the shots. The pics are from her last trip to the Vet. Our vet collects pics of her patients and has a photo studio setup right there inside her clinic just for that purpose. She posts the pics along with some entertaining stories on her Facebook page.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Hey Julius, Amber looks like she's been to the salon recently, pretty girl!

Since the sun came out I went into the back yard and noticed our turtles are coming around. This is an old female we found 12 years ago. She looks the same today as ever. She's had many, many little ones that we give away or just keep as part of the family. They disappear late in the fall and emerge around this time every year.

Another coming up too.

The male box turtles have red eyes and colorful legs. Also a slight indent on the under side of their shell for, um extra stability during recreational or, nevermind......
                              Roger

Current rides
                              1983 GS 850G
                              2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

One of my clients has a Parson Russell Terrior, Skipper. Skipper won Select Dog at Westminster this year!
                                sigpic
                                09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                                1983 GS1100e
                                82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                                1980 GS1260
                                Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Working...
                                X