A close one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A close one

Today after work I had an errand to run so I'm out on a main street that is familiar to me. I see a car pull up to a cross-street stop sign. I let off the throttle and eyeball them as I'm approaching. Sure enough, there they go, right in front of me. (from my right) Of course, they had to wait until I was kinda close so I'm not able to deflect my path enough to miss them. I grab a bunch of brake but I can see there is not enough distance. I'm in full gear but I figure, lets try to make this as not-hurty as possible. Both tires lock up on me as I close in but I keep it upright. (yeah, one drum and one disc) The rear wheel comes around to my left pointing me past the back of the car but I'm still headed in the same direction and they are not going to clear my path before I get there. Moment of truth, with the front tire pointed left into the skid, I let up on the brakes. The bike stands up straight again and grip comes back with the bike pointed behind the car and I just miss his rear bumper! Wow, that was too close! Then the rest of the world came back and I could feel the adrenaline. Had I been going faster, there wouldn't have been any way I could do anything evasive. Probably wouldn't have been too serious a hit as I was already slowed down pretty good and this all occurred at about bicycle speeds, but holy crap, I don't need that. It is tempting to go over it in my mind and want to second guess a split second decision. Instead, I'll raise a shot to actually making decisions successfully under duress. Stay safe out there, folks. You can't ride too paranoid.

Now you're ready to flat track!
    i'm glad you're safe. People like that are the reason I ride with my highbeam on 24/7, and beep at them even while they are approaching.

I'm glad you didn't rage amd turn around and smash their mirrors off.

Comment

Originally posted by Boba View Post
      Now you're ready to flat track!
      i'm glad you're safe. People like that are the reason I ride with my highbeam on 24/7, and beep at them even while they are approaching.

I'm glad you didn't rage amd turn around and smash their mirrors off.
      Haha, maybe a little flat track might help me. I've been riding with beams too, but the old round headlight ain't too bright.

I always try to remind myself that the mistake they made was a mistake, not something malicious. Have to let it go. Going all road-rage will turn a close call into a life wrecking event.

Comment

Good riding.
        Sliding a street bike and keeping it all together in the end is hard.
        Marc Marquez recently saved him/his GP bike on a low side by jacking the bike back up with his knee.
        edit:
        It's hard to get that transition from sliding back to rolling, chance of highsiding is great.
        Last edited by Guest; 09-14-2016, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TiiMuch View Post
          Good riding.
          Sliding a street bike and keeping it all together in the end is hard.
          Marc Marquez recently saved him/his GP bike on a low side by jacking the bike back up with his knee.
          Like in a high side. It's hard to get that transition from sliding to rolling.
          I did fear the high-side but my speed was way down at that point. The transition was a surprise, I was prepared for impact. I'm no GP rider nor do I have the hubris to claim that kind of skill, so thank you for the props. I sure don't regret all that weight I stripped off for the cafe treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by GSCafe View Post
            Today after work I had an errand to run so I'm out on a main street that is familiar to me. I see a car pull up to a cross-street stop sign. I let off the throttle and eyeball them as I'm approaching. Sure enough, there they go, right in front of me. (from my right) Of course, they had to wait until I was kinda close so I'm not able to deflect my path enough to miss them. I grab a bunch of brake but I can see there is not enough distance. I'm in full gear but I figure, lets try to make this as not-hurty as possible. Both tires lock up on me as I close in but I keep it upright. (yeah, one drum and one disc) The rear wheel comes around to my left pointing me past the back of the car but I'm still headed in the same direction and they are not going to clear my path before I get there. Moment of truth, with the front tire pointed left into the skid, I let up on the brakes. The bike stands up straight again and grip comes back with the bike pointed behind the car and I just miss his rear bumper! Wow, that was too close! Then the rest of the world came back and I could feel the adrenaline. Had I been going faster, there wouldn't have been any way I could do anything evasive. Probably wouldn't have been too serious a hit as I was already slowed down pretty good and this all occurred at about bicycle speeds, but holy crap, I don't need that. It is tempting to go over it in my mind and want to second guess a split second decision. Instead, I'll raise a shot to actually making decisions successfully under duress. Stay safe out there, folks. You can't ride too paranoid.
            Wow! Congrats! Did you let them know what they did? Did they even acknowledge their error?

Comment

Here is Marc Marquez Brno 2016 FP2,...

Comment

Originally posted by rwinn View Post
                Wow! Congrats! Did you let them know what they did? Did they even acknowledge their error?
                Pfft, if they did, I couldn't see it. They went the other way and I did not follow them. I know they saw me though.

Comment

Originally posted by TiiMuch View Post
                  Here is Marc Marquez Brno 2016 FP2,...

https://youtu.be/JaskAbQMVq0
                  Oh dang! I don't how he managed that without it hooking up and throwing him into orbit.

Comment

I think it was MASSIVE skilz and good armor.
                    Mark Fisher
                    sigpic
                    ..............................27 years

Comment

I'm just happy you saw it coming before it happened, if that all took you by surprise you would have hit him for sure, and probably not hit him very well if you know what I mean.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                      X