The loss of a covered bridge...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The loss of a covered bridge...

So I'm truly blessed for I live in some of the most beautiful riding in the country. Unfortunately my scenic commute went up in smoke the other day. Pretty wrenching for it was part of my therapeutic commute home.

Swamp Road bridge, erected in 1865 went up in flames due to an unknown source. Vandalism/Arson has been ruled out. It appears it was a fluke accident. It went up Sunday 9-11-16 around 3PM in the afternoon.

It was a great commute and I have some great images next to this bridge...

Lurch with the bridge:

I know others too loved riding through it.. I personally will be signing the petition to rebuild the bridge. A replacement non-permanent bridge will be put in to allow traffic to flow again from Salisbury to Cornwall...

So FYI Swamp road off Route 30 and 3 Mile Bridge in Salisbury dead ends with Otter Creek... Until a new bridge is put back in...

Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

I saw a quick blip about this on the news. I am curious as to how they ruled out vandalism. Was there power in the structure?

The covered bridge is a very cool aspect of traveling the NH roads. I have been through several, not sure if this was one of them.

Comment

This one was in Vermont. It was located on the Salisbury and Cornwall line on Otter Creek.

They believe a vehicle passing through may have inadvertently sparked the structure. There was no forensic evidence of an accelerant used.
      Jedz Moto
      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
      1988 Honda GL1500-6
      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

When I was in the area about 5 years ago, I went down Route 30 right next to it.
        Had I known it was there, I would have stopped. I have a fascination for covered bridges.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

That sucks. Covered bridges are cool.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
            So I'm truly blessed for I live in some of the most beautiful riding in the country. Unfortunately my scenic commute went up in smoke the other day. Pretty wrenching for it was part of my therapeutic commute home.

Swamp Road bridge, erected in 1865 went up in flames due to an unknown source. Vandalism/Arson has been ruled out. It appears it was a fluke accident. It went up Sunday 9-11-16 around 3PM in the afternoon.

It was a great commute and I have some great images next to this bridge...

Lurch with the bridge:

I know others too loved riding through it.. I personally will be signing the petition to rebuild the bridge. A replacement non-permanent bridge will be put in to allow traffic to flow again from Salisbury to Cornwall...

So FYI Swamp road off Route 30 and 3 Mile Bridge in Salisbury dead ends with Otter Creek... Until a new bridge is put back in...

I swear it wasn't me. That pic of mine is from weeks ago and my KLR didn't shoot out sparks! Nice back country setting so too bad to see that.

Comment

Sorry about your bridge, a lot of history there. I am a fan of covered bridges as well. Here is a picture of the one closest to me. Its now only used for foot traffic.
              1982 GS 550 L

Comment

How sad, just curious, why did they cover bridges, do they still do it?
                sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

It preserved the deck.
                  They don't usually replace them in Ohio, which has had many burn due to arson.
                  I love them also. There is one in Mohican State Park but I believe it's been rebuilt.

Edit: news to me.
                  I just Googled and found there are 167 covered bridges in Ohio. That would make a great ride.
                  Last edited by AMK; 09-14-2016, 01:19 PM.
                  Alan

sigpic
                  Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
                  Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
                  Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
                  Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Yeah stopped by there last night... IT sucks it was my favorite route home (although it was 18 miles out of the way).

It's way too early to tell if they will rebuild or replace with a modern bridge. I hope they do rebuild, it's was a gorgeous iconic bridge. I'm sure many of us local folks will be clamoring for a wooden replacement. I hear many of the main support beams are actually still intact. The lattice supports are totally toast. The design of the roof and how the cross breeze blew through caused the fire to get exceptionally hot fast...

There is about 100 covered bridges in Vermont... I should try to see most of them. The ones close to me are still in derivable/usable condition.
                    Jedz Moto
                    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                    1988 Honda GL1500-6
                    2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

It's a shame when old covered bridge leaves us. Old covered bridges are a tribute to the ingenuity of the local people that built them. Considering that many of the remaining covered bridges were built back in the 1800’s when heavy equipment of todays standards was nonexistent is astonishing because many historical covered bridges are 100+ feet long.

If the lattice of the bridge is destroyed as previously mentioned it will most likely not be repaired because most of the support comes from the lattice work. Usually when a wooden covered bridge is damaged and it is decided to replace it with a new covered bridge it will be design to resemble the old structure with modern structural design incorporated.

Comment

Covered bridges are the best; here are some in Western Ohio

Last edited by cowboyup3371; 09-14-2016, 09:56 PM.
                        sigpic
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                        X