Snapped stator bolt,Gpz750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
    At this point I'll skip the MAPP gas and keep soaking it in penetrating oil for a few days.If that doesn't work and I don't really think it will it will be going to work to have a bolt MIG welded on.
    Sounds like you are gonna buy another cover.

Comment

Why not a local machine shop? You are on the road to nowhere by soaking the parts.
      The galvanic corrosion and other contributors to this being stuck will not be impacted by soaking.

Id go with MAPP as suggested. Heat cycle it a few times.

Bottle of Mapp is 14 buck plus tax at CT factor in the bother and the travel costs and a machine shop looks pretty darned good.
      They will trim it and use a left hand bit and it wil be out in a few minutes of effort.
      1983 GS 550 LD
      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Grind the bolt end flat, center punch it, drill it out starting with a very small drill. Use an easy out to remove it. Snap on has some small sizes that use a fluted rod and a nut to match. I think they are really good. Wish I could find mine, seems to have grown legs! Good luck, Ray
        "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
        GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
        1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
        1979 GS1000SN The new hope
        1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
          Why not a local machine shop? You are on the road to nowhere by soaking the parts.
          The galvanic corrosion and other contributors to this being stuck will not be impacted by soaking.

Id go with MAPP as suggested. Heat cycle it a few times.

Bottle of Mapp is 14 buck plus tax at CT factor in the bother and the travel costs and a machine shop looks pretty darned good.
          They will trim it and use a left hand bit and it wil be out in a few minutes of effort.
          A machine shop may be local to you but it's all a trip for me,MAPP gas may not be but I really don't think that will help either.Still in the mulling over what to do stage here.I have a set of left hand drills,can't figure out how to get them to work in my drill press

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
            A machine shop may be local to you but it's all a trip for me,MAPP gas may not be but I really don't think that will help either.Still in the mulling over what to do stage here.I have a set of left hand drills,can't figure out how to get them to work in my drill press
            Get a longer belt for the drill press and twist it between pulleys. That will reverse it if there's nothing between the pulleys.
            Alan

sigpic
            Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
            Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
            Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
            Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

If you had a cheap flux wire welder from HF you just screw a nut on the top of what is left of that bolt, weld the inside of the nuts threads to the top of the bolt. The bolt will get instantly red hot and start to break the bond holding the threads. You then work it back and forth a few times and it will be out in 5 minutes.

Takes longer to drag the welder out, so get a cart while you are getting the welder; need a coupon?,

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                If you had a cheap flux wire welder from HF you just screw a nut on the top of what is left of that bolt, weld the inside of the nuts threads to the top of the bolt. The bolt will get instantly red hot and start to break the bond holding the threads. You then work it back and forth a few times and it will be out in 5 minutes.

Takes longer to drag the welder out, so get a cart while you are getting the welder; need a coupon?,
                No Harbor Freight in Canada.

Comment

The welder guy at work didn't really want to do anything for me so my wife took it to the local dealer for they're recommendation on who to take it to.They said they would get it out and they did,talked to the mechanic todat,he said it was a female dog to get out.Heat while turning it was how they did it.Used a small die grinder to put flats on the end to get a good grip as well.All paid with a no cost to me trade so we are all happy

Comment

Working...
                  X