GS in a sea of V twins at Sturgis this year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS in a sea of V twins at Sturgis this year

I live about 20 miles from Sturgis SD so always try to go down and check it (the rally) out. Took this pic on Main Street. Did not see another Japanese 4 cylinder other than quite a few gold wings. On the way I was following a group down the highway near Bear Butte and something fell off one of the bikes and the other guy ran over it and it kind of flipped him off his Harley! I stopped and he had a broken wrist – turns out they were from Germany. Ride safe!
    Brian
    Attached Files

Looks like you have a fine 850 or 1000g, can't tell which. I came through Rapid City on my way back from Ontario Canada in August of this. That is about as close as I came to Sturgis. I saw many, many HD's heading there on my way east and on the return home. How were you received? Welcome to the site!

sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
      Looks like you have a fine 850 or 1000g, can't tell which.
      With the chrome front fender and solid disks, I'm pegging it as a '79 850.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Brian S.
        Welcome to GSR.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        With the chrome front fender and solid disks, I'm pegging it as a '79 850.

That, and the VM carbs, and the GS850 (not GS850G) sidepanel emblem.

... and that might be one of the dealer installed fairings that could get for 79.
        Last edited by Redman; 09-27-2016, 07:24 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Thanks! Yes - it is a 79 GS850 in fact and does have the fairing with a Suzuki emblem. I was told that and the bags may have been dealer installed options? Would like to locate the matching (Calafia?) trunk sometime. Have to say I was quite proud to be the only GS cruising down main street Was talking with some friends just yesterday about how the harley dealer in Rapid City was a small building, barely functioning and Japanese bikes were everywhere and not the world has turned the other way! Anyway - I like cool old things....

Comment

Welcome to GSR. That's a great sight seeing a nice GS in all those V-Twins... It looked like a good time.
            1978 GS1000E
            1980 GS1000S (Wes Cooley Replica)
            1981 GS1100E
            1982 GS1100E
            1982 GS1000SZ
            1983 GS1100ED
            1983 GS1100ESD
            1978 Honda CB750K
            1981 Honda CB900F

Comment

Originally posted by BrianS View Post
              Thanks! Yes - it is a 79 GS850 in fact and does have the fairing with a Suzuki emblem. I was told that and the bags may have been dealer installed options? Would like to locate the matching (Calafia?) trunk sometime. .........
              Yes, 79, was a dealer add item, the fairing any way, I dont know about bags and/or trunk, but would seem likely.
              Only reason I know is this old magazine artical in a magazine of the day that I got (but dont have anymore).

Hum.... bike in picture in artical has fairing, but no any bags nor trunk .....

Last edited by Redman; 09-28-2016, 06:14 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Yep, Suzuki had a deal with Calafia to provide the touring accoutrements. A friend had a Goldwing with a Calafia fairing. I never rode behind it, but he seemed to like it. I had Calafia "Fats" saddlebags on my KZ1300. Yours are likely the standard ones with a cutout for the muffler? Mine were about 50% wider and had a tail light on them. The trunk is nice, but looked a bit too small for our huge bike, so we got a Ra-Cad. Another friend was part-owner of a company that pioneered the concept of a radio in the Harley bat-wing fairing. Called it the "Radio Caddy", later shortened to Ra-Cad. Then they made a couple of trunks, loosely patterened after the Harley Tour-Pak. We had the smaller one. It could only hold FOUR full-face helmets (and a couple of light jackets).

Not the best picture, but it's the only one I have uploaded that shows the bags:

This one has a small glimpse of the trunk:

Yes, I have been riding HUGE, shiny bikes for a LONG time.
                You can click the links in my sig to see my current bikes.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Perhaps you can satisfy my curiousity.

For a long time I have seen photos of the bikes, and they obviously take up a lot of space on their own, but I have seen and met a lot of people who said they were going to Sturgis, and they most definitely were not riding that far, so I am wondering: where do the owners park the trailers?
                  "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                  Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Where no one will see them and laugh....
                    Honestly, Sturgis is the biggest event of the year for haulbikes.com. I assume others find the cost of shipping close to the cost of trailering. Fly and ride....
                    sigpic
                    09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                    1983 GS1100e
                    82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                    1980 GS1260
                    Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Steve - yep that is what mine look like!
                      Brian

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Yep, Suzuki had a deal with Calafia to provide the touring accoutrements. A friend had a Goldwing with a Calafia fairing. I never rode behind it, but he seemed to like it. I had Calafia "Fats" saddlebags on my KZ1300. Yours are likely the standard ones with a cutout for the muffler? Mine were about 50% wider and had a tail light on them. The trunk is nice, but looked a bit too small for our huge bike, so we got a Ra-Cad. Another friend was part-owner of a company that pioneered the concept of a radio in the Harley bat-wing fairing. Called it the "Radio Caddy", later shortened to Ra-Cad. Then they made a couple of trunks, loosely patterened after the Harley Tour-Pak. We had the smaller one. It could only hold FOUR full-face helmets (and a couple of light jackets).

Not the best picture, but it's the only one I have uploaded that shows the bags:

This one has a small glimpse of the trunk:

Yes, I have been riding HUGE, shiny bikes for a LONG time.
                      You can click the links in my sig to see my current bikes.

Comment

Right - there are quite a few that ride but many tow trailers. There are a lot of campgrounds in the area - some huge like the Broken Spoke and Buffalo Chip - with acres of trailers, RVs, bikes. And as Bob mentioned, lots of semi trucks hauling or renting bikes. The Rapid City airport has a lot of semi trucks parked there during that week. My favorite long distance riding story is that a buddy was working in Aberdeen Scotland. He and several (a dozen or so) buddies crated up their bikes, shipped them to Florida, then rode via Texas, Colorado, Sturgis and on to Minnesota where they crated them up and shipped them back to Scotland. They had their picture taken in their kilts on Main Street in Sturgis during the rally.
                        Brian

Comment

Awesome! Like the big tourers.
                          gs1100gk 1985 (x 2)
                          gs850g 1980
                          Previously owned
                          gs1100gk 1984(just sold).
                          gs850g x 2 '79, '80, gs1100gk x 2 '84, '85, gs1000 '78, gs1100g '82, gr650 '82, Buell x 2 '99 & '09, Harley xlch '65, Yam vmax '95, FJ1100 '82, Honda 500/4 '74, Kwaka z250 '80...

Comment

Working...
                          X