New worktable.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New worktable.

After posting this same pic of my new, homemade worktable in a different thread, I decided to start a new thread in hopes there may be some interest in seeing each others tables or lifts. I just made this one. It's 24x24x96", made from 2-4x4s, 6-2x4s, and 1 sheet of 3/4" plywood. All pine. I notched the legs 3/4" for the 2x4s, air-nailed the frame, and then air-stapled the top and shelf. I've got about $60 in it. If I build another one, and I probably will, I would raise the shelf 1". It's 2 1/2" off the floor right now, and that isn't quite enough toe-kick for my size 12s. Feel free to comment, and post a pic of your own table or lift.

Last edited by Guest; 10-03-2016, 05:45 PM.

1/2 inch plywood? Got any pics of the unbderside.
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

1/2"? Hope not. 3/4" minimum I should think.

Edit: the text states "3/4 plywood"
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Sorry did not see that. Does it sag any with a bike on it?
        There's quite a bit of pressure on three points with a 500 pound bike.
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Ray, did your pancake compressor in the photo[3 gal.?] have enough power to do the air-nailing or do you have a bigger one handy?
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I'm considering putting heavy gauge sheet metal in the areas where the tires sit, to spread out the weight. I have braced under the top in the center, but that's not where the weight sits. My pancake compressor works great for a single user.

Comment

If you want it to be resistant to forward-and-back racking, whack out those nails and join the bottom stretcher to the legs with wood glue and screws.
              Charles
              --
              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

My dadoes are snug enough, and there are enough nails and staples in it, that it won't rack or loosen up for a long while. I understand that it would be stronger if I'd put some triangular bracing in it, and glued and screwed the joints, but this thing will never come apart, at least in my lifetime.

Comment

How many people does it take to lift a bike onto it?

Or, what do you use for a ramp?

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The bikes I'm planning on using these for are completely apart. When the time comes to roll one off, I'll figure out the ramp. Maybe keep an eye out for a used aluminum ramp.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHGSRay View Post
                      The bikes I'm planning on using these for are completely apart. When the time comes to roll one off, I'll figure out the ramp. Maybe keep an eye out for a used aluminum ramp.
                      For ramps I bought some used scaffolding planks that have nice hooks on each end. Mine had concrete splattered on them for traction. Work fine to load bikes into a pick up, or in your case a work bench. Very handy/versatile to have. For a top i used a old wood door with a sheet of plywood over that. Solid as heck
                      Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                      Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                      Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Working...
                      X