No announcement yet.

My Blue Ridge Parkway Ride 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also keep in mind that part of the Blue Ridge Parkway is in Virginia, but it's a National Park, so Virginia laws may not apply.
    It may be worse.

It will also help to keep in mind that the speed limit on most of the Parkway is 45 mph. In some congested areas it's 35.
    The road is a SCENIC RIDE, not a race track, so ride it accordingly.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Also keep in mind that part of the Blue Ridge Parkway is in Virginia, but it's a National Park, so Virginia laws may not apply.
      It may be worse.

It will also help to keep in mind that the speed limit on most of the Parkway is 45 mph. In some congested areas it's 35.
      The road is a SCENIC RIDE, not a race track, so ride it accordingly.

I'm there to see the scenery on this ride since too many things are closed and not to be a part of the next MotoGP3 crowd so yes, i'm planning on taking it easy. I also heard from a guy I work with that the road can get real slippery from any leaves that will be on the ground so I'm going to take it smart.
      sigpic
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Most of the BRP from Asheville to the Virginia line has been repaved. Rode it in June and it was sweet.
        Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
        2000 Kawasaki Concours
        Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Made it to Elkins with everything in one piece; well almost everything. One of Stator’s boots broke so I’ll need to make some repairs on him when we get home. Did have one pucker factor moment today though when the back tire grabbed what I think was some gravel in the road I didn’t see. It only lasted about two seconds but that was definitely hair raising. Otherwise it was a fairly uneventful and fun ride.

I also ran the new GoPro all day thanks to a battery pack and the time warp feature so I should have some good videos when I get back. That is a nice change from my previous trips.

When I took my first water break at a roadside park, Stator and I noticed this playground wasn't like all of the ones you usually see anymore. No, it actually had real old fashioned METAL toys like we had growing up. So, of course he had to go check it out.

First Water Stop by Scott Baker, on Flickr

A short climb up the slide

Stator Climbing Slide by Scott Baker, on Flickr

and the little hop over the edge followed by the loop-the-loop was fun he said; of course it was hot so he wasn't about to lay there too long

Stator at bottom of slide by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Then it was off to the merry-go-round and swing

Stator on Merry Go Round by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Stator in Swing by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Although we needed to leave, he insisted on practicing his climbing skills, afterall he is a bear

Stator Climbing Rock Wall by Scott Baker, on Flickr

After lunch at a fantastic mom and pop shake shop interesting named the Shake Shoppe in Gallipolis, we started our ride into West Virginia arriving into Elkins late in the afternoon. I had the road mostly to myself which was nice.

US33 Water Stop by Scott Baker, on Flickr

I would love to go back and visit this place, maybe even stay awhile. It's a Lunatic Asylum built during the Civil War and has a pretty interesting story based on the story boards. They provide tours but i got there too late that day.

Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum Sign by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Sadly, the sunset never hinted what was going to happen the next morning.

Sunset in Elkins WV by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Tomorrow is Front Royal VA and the Manassas battlefield
          Last edited by cowboyup3371; 09-07-2020, 08:05 AM. Reason: Added pictures
          sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Wow! What a day. I can finally put another state on my list of places I have been. I made it to Front Royal after the longest four hour ride I think I have ever had. Before I left Dayton the weather forecasts for this week said 20% chance of spotty thunderstorms. I swear the person who wrote that should be fired as it started raining cats and dogs before I woke up and didn’t look like it would stop at all.

The radar looked like I might get a break around 1pm but with a noon checkout I thought I would wait and grab lunch before leaving Elkins. However, about 1030 I looked outside and noticed it had quit so I quickly loaded up and grabbed some gas.

Storm Clouds East of Elkins by Scott Baker, on Flickr

I made it to my first stop at Seneca Rocks where I managed to get some pictures. However, after about 20 minutes the skies opened up again and so off I went.

Seneca Rocks Covered by Clouds by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Seneca Rocks No Clouds by Scott Baker, on Flickr

US-33 is a nice road and looks to be a blast when it’s dry but 3 to 10-percent grades are not fun when it’s wet. I kept the bike to at least the recommended curve speeds the entire way down and really under the speed limit for the rest of the ride. In fact, I’m sure the dump truck driver behind me at one point probably cursed me out a few times despite keeping back far enough to not crowd me.

The weather looked ugly enough and my gear was so soaked that I’ll need to bypass Manassas on this trip. I’m hitting Skyline and BRP tomorrow with a stop in Appomattox for the night.
            Last edited by cowboyup3371; 09-07-2020, 08:08 AM.
            sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Rain rides always make for ... interesting memories. Glad you got to Front Royal safe.
              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                Rain rides always make for ... interesting memories. Glad you got to Front Royal safe.
                Agreed Pilot and I think today added to that idea. Although not rain in the sense I had to wear my rain gear, I spent almost the entire trip down Skyline drive wiping water off the visor from the very low and misting clouds. Later, when I finally got on the BRP, I dealt with pea soup fog for quite awhile before it finally cleared enough to see where I was going. I made it to Appomattox and will go see the courthouse where General Lee surrendered to General Grant tomorrow. Then back onto the parkway destined for Boone.

Stator says hi and he’s enjoying himself too

After breakfast at another mom and pop place, we started down Skyline drive.

Skyline Drive Sign by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Stator loved the view of the Shenandoah Valley at first but then saw what we would deal with for the rest of the morning

Shenandoah Valley by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Low Clouds over Skyline Drive by Scott Baker, on Flickr

This tunnel on Skyline drive, called Mary's Rock, was made because they could not continue the drive along the side of the mountain as they did everywhere else. There's even a nice little waterfall off to the side.

Tunnel through Marys Rock by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Lunch brought a short clearing of the weather for us but we immediately rode into pea-soup thick fog once we got close to the Parkway. It was so bad I ended up going out of my way for a bit and we could not get a picture of the sign saying we were there. However, we finally had some dry time late in the afternoon for a quick break

Stator sitting on the Parkway by Scott Baker, on Flickr

And a stop at Otter Lake Falls that is fed by, you guessed it, Otter Lake which is itself fed by the upper half of Otter Creek (the falls also feeds the lower half of Otter Creek)

Otter Lake by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Otter Lake Falls by Scott Baker, on Flickr
                Last edited by cowboyup3371; 09-07-2020, 08:21 AM. Reason: Added pictures
                sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Such a cool trip!
                  "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

In Boone NC and all I can say is WOW. Today totally made up for the last two days as I had to dig out my sunglasses from the bottom of the tank bag. The visit to Appomattox Courthouse was very powerful and, once the morning fog burned off, the ride was excellent. If anyone comes this way and is going southbound, be sure to check our Bent Mountain road in Roanoke - the set of curves going up the mountain made up for missing out on the closed section of the broken Parkway section

As I noted, the fog really made for an interesting start to the morning, but off to breakfast I went to another Mom and Pop place. Check out Granny Bees on Main Street next time you are in Appomattox

Appomattox Main Street by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Off to the courthouse we went

Appomattox Court House National Park by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Where the original courthouse for the town is now a visitor's center (albeit closed currently)

Appomattox Court House by Scott Baker, on Flickr

And the Clover Hill Tavern where they printed out the Parole passes given to the Confederate soldiers. These passes allowed for folks to get supplies as needed and would allow soldiers to take their horses home (Confederate soldiers brought their own horses to use in battle which was unique from the way the North outfitted their troops)

Clover Hill Tavern by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Parole Pass Printers by Scott Baker, on Flickr

We finally made our way to the MacLean house where the surrender actually took place. The tour guide, a former Navy Sailor who served in Vietnam, explained how the process occurred and when Stator noted the difference in table styles, he explained that General Lee graduated from West Point 15 years before General Grant. This seniority, even recognized by General Grant, and the fact he arrived first gave General Lee the right to use the marble top table. Sadly the tables are only replicas, the actual ones are in the Smithsonian and a museum in Chicago. In fact, only the two vases on the fireplace and the couch behind the door where the tour guide is standing are original. Everything else is a replica now

Parlor where Surrender Documents Signed by Scott Baker, on Flickr

As we started back to the parkway the fog finally cleared out and we enjoyed great skies for the next couple of days

The Great Valley Overlook by Scott Baker, on Flickr

We stopped at Mabry Mill for a bit

Mabry Mill by Scott Baker, on Flickr

then finally made it to North Carolina

Crossing into North Carolina by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Getting into Boone late in the evening

Sunset on Blue Ridge Parkway Boone NC by Scott Baker, on Flickr
                    Last edited by cowboyup3371; 09-07-2020, 08:44 AM.
                    sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

If you want some exciting curves, just get off the Parkway at virtually any one of the exits and go both directions, then get back on the Parkway. The roads that cross the Parkway go through the gaps in the ridge, but they tend to follow just about every nook and cranny on the way up to the Parkway, then down the other side.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Scott, just got home from the Dragon and Cherahola Skyway. Came back to Asheville on the BRP.
                        Don’t know if I passed you or not. Quite a bit of fog on the top of the Skyway.
                        Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                        2000 Kawasaki Concours
                        Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Doubtful unless you rolled through Robbinsville around 730pm when I came in. In fact, today was a bittersweet day as I finished the ride down the Parkway getting into Cherokee about 630. Why couldn’t they have put a sign, even a small one, that said something to the effect it was ending?

The morning started off much like the day before but without the fog. A quick stop at Sims Pond for water and a view

Sims Pond by Scott Baker, on Flickr

found this spillway into Sims Creek

Sims Creek Spillway by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Sims Creek by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Then ran across Boulder Field on the way to Linville Falls (that's a hike)

Boulder Field Overlook by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Linnville Falls by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Mount Mitchell in the background

Mount Mitchell Overlook by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Once we arrived there, Stator and I hiked to the top of the mountain - we both agree going back down is so much easier.

On Top of Mount Mitchell by Scott Baker, on Flickr

He asked why would anyone want to be buried on top of a mountain but understood when I explained it was because he died there while trying to prove it was the tallest back in the 1800s

Elisha Mitchell Grave by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Our last water stop at Devil's Courthouse though I'm not sure how that rock got its name.

Devils Courthouse by Scott Baker, on Flickr

But the bike and I are in one piece, though the same can’t be said for my camera - as we started down the mountain, I picked the camera off of the bench where I laid it to take a video for the family. Unfortunately, I didn't notice the neck strap caught on the bottom of the bench and ripped the camera out of my hand breaking the mount for the lens. Fortunately, the camera is still good and the lens works if I hold it in place. I can also get the part to fix it which I'll try soon

I’ll head up Cherohola Skyway tomorrow stopping into Knoxville for a little bit then off to Cumberland Falls and points north. Should be home by Saturday afternoon unless I take the really long way home.
                          Last edited by cowboyup3371; 09-07-2020, 08:55 AM. Reason: Added pictures
                          sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                            Should be home by Saturday afternoon unless I take the really long way home.
                            Don't forget to turn left when you see Roger.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

Nice to see you and your passenger today, Scott....
                              Next time we will plan a little better and do some riding.
                              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Thank you Bob for allowing Stator and I to drop in; we both enjoyed the visit. I’ll wait to post the picture I took of you two when I get home as the phone’s editing features aren’t doing that well.

The day started a little wet but Cherohola Skyway was a lot of fun and I didn’t want to leave the visitor’s center and museum at the end. I am already thinking about when and how I can make it back down to ride and visit the area more

The rains visited us again forcing me to wait a little bit before we could leave but it dried up and off to the skyway we went and took a moment to enjoy the view once the clouds cleared out some

Overhill Cherokee Lookout Cherohola Skyway by Scott Baker, on Flickr

I bought one of the pictures that 129photos.com took of me as I rode by

Scott Cherohala Skyway by Scott Baker, on Flickr

and we later stopped at Bob's where Stator met Beau

Bob introducing Stator to Beau by Scott Baker, on Flickr

My original plan was to make our way up to Somerset KY for the night but that didn't quite work out and, for the better in some respects, and so we stopped into Williamsburg KY instead. This would then give me more time to spend at Cumberland Falls the next day.
                                Last edited by cowboyup3371; 09-07-2020, 09:00 AM. Reason: Added pictures
                                sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Working...
                                X