I like the Mighty GK too !!!!

Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by bassace75 View Post
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]50276[/ATTACH]

Got the carbs on. Seat redone. Replaced missing emblems I got from a member of this forum. The bike runs like a scalded dog. Still getting used to riding again after 20 years.

To answer Redman, the "bass" is musical - I am a bassist. I have not yet rode to the Hill Country but my folks live in Fredricksberg and I plan to head that way this Summer.
      Thanks for update.

Ah, Bass player, obvious now with the avatar.
      I tried to learn a little bit about music on a bass. Tried to learn just the scales A-B-C-D-E-F-G on the fret board.
      Guess I wasnt sharp enough to understand why I had to skip a frett sometimes.

Good that you got the seat recovered. Those GK seats are hard to find. Most of them have the pan rusted out.

My experience/understanding is that Fredericksburg is the start of the Hill Country... for general tourist.
      For good riding, go further south, other side of 10. Out towards Bandera, Vanderpool, Leaky, Frio Canyon, Camp Wood, Barksdale.
      FM335, FM336, FM337, sometimes are "RR", which per my observation meant that might be the cattle guard pipes & gaps in the road ...Yikes....

I have enjoyed Texas Hill Country twice. Both times in March. Both times were great.

Do tell us of your further adventures.

Texas... summer... big huge fairing... hum....
      Last edited by Redman; 03-23-2017, 12:42 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

GRPV BIG.jpgUpdate: I got the carbs cleaned in the middle of March. Put them on and the bike fired right up and with a little idle adjustment, runs like a champ. After a little while, I started having starting problems and being cheap/stubborn, I fought with a battery longer than I should have. Charging, trickle charging, dead again, etc. I broke down and bought a new battery which should end a slew of issues. Last week I developed a whirring/grinding noise from the speedo. I pulled it apart and sprayed WD-40 into it and let it run out the bottom until all the black gunk was clear and the spray came out clear. Put it on and rode it yesterday and it works fine. Now to troubleshoot the tach.
        Last edited by Guest; 05-28-2017, 05:33 AM.

Comment

Planning a trip to the hill country (Fredricksburg)as soon a summer begins and the kids are let out..will keep you posted.

Comment

Nice Bike!
            Last edited by Guest; 05-28-2017, 05:36 AM. Reason: wrong place

Comment

BA,

Good to hear the GK is running well with the carb clean and new battery.
              I have been cautious with spraying lubricant in spedo/tach out of concern for getting it on the back of the glass.

Tell us about the symptoms with the tach.
              I have had cable fail/break to where tach jumps around and falls to zero, then jumps around some more and falls to zero. Pull cable from back of tach and the thning is spinning, but can stop it real easy with fingers.
              Just the other day the tach was not going above 1 or 2 k, cable exhibited the same symptom, so I replaced it with a new one. Later, later looked at old one and the cable wasnt broken along the length, but the cable came out of the bit at the engine. I stuck it back in and crimped the bit some... should have done that before.
              SO... what is your symptom? Stays at zero? jumps around? doesnt go over 1 -2 K?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I have a nice ratty gk and it seems to do just fine compared to new modern technobikes .

Comment

Originally posted by trlsrider View Post
                  I have a nice ratty gk and it seems to do just fine compared to new modern technobikes .
                  Ratty bikes rock!! Does Moab stand for Mother of all Buttes?
                  1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                  1983 GS 1100 G
                  2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                  2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                  1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

im not sure ,Moab stands for a bunch of other stuff...mother of all butts to me because of all the gorgeous mountain bike mammas in their nice tight lycra

Comment

Working...
                    X