Gsx-s1000f

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gsx-s1000f

I bought myself a new toy and thought I would post about it. I've enjoyed the 1100g for commuting and the 'cool factor', but after my first real motorcycle trip I realized I wanted something more comfortable, and that required less work. The GSX-F certainly fits the bill. I rode an older GSX-650F and loved the ergos, but wasn't thrilled with the constant shifting or the power band.

The GSX-S1000F came out in 2015, and is basically a GSX-R that was redesigned for 40yo riders. It's comfortable, has a ton of usable power at lower RPM's and (supposedly) keeps making power right up to redline - although I haven't got there yet and don't really see myself winding this thing out very often.

It's got all the basics of a modern sportbike - adjustable, inverted front forks, Brembo brakes, ABS, traction control, and a digital display. One thing I really like is that it doesn't feel electronic at all. I haven't noticed the ABS yet or the traction control, although I'm sure the traction control has helped me keep the front wheel on the ground.

There's a lot of complaints online about 'throttle snatch' where it's really jerky coming on and off the throttle. I don't think it's that bad, and think there's a batch of bikes in Europe that suffered from a mal-adjusted throttle position sensor (TPS). There's a forum dedicated to these bikes, but it seems like those guys are more apt to throw accessories at a bike rather than figure out what's really wrong and try to adjust it. Anyway, my TPS is adjusted fine, and while I do have to be a little gentle on and off the throttle, I got used to it in a day and hardly think about it.

I absolutely love the bike - it's a freakin' blast to ride with near instantaneous acceleration. It handles amazingly well since dialing in the suspension settings, and it's really a great riding position. It's balanced perfectly (feeling lighter than the FZ1 and similar bikes), and it's got a nice ripping tone under load. The windscreen doesn't do much as it's still designed for a race tuck, but I kind of like the wind blast keeping my speed in check.

So here it is - the only mod so far is the Yoshimura fender eliminator:

Last edited by Guest; 10-07-2016, 10:43 PM.

Nice. There appears to be a big smile inside thst helmet. Good luck and enjoy.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Inline 4 with 138 hp and all the suspension and carbs you could ever want.....bit of an upgrade from the ol' 1100G have fun indeed. Congrats!!!
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

It's the right color, too.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          It's the right color, too.

As a matter of fact, it is!

Comment

Thank you! Yes, a big smile inside the helmet, and on my face after every ride. It's pure joy.

Although I don't know what 'carbs' you're talking about?

Comment

That looks like a lot of fun. My if-I-was-buying-a-new-bike-list is very short, and that's on it. I hope the break-in procedure isn't something silly like keeping it under 45 mph.

I wonder what the luggage options are.
              Dogma
              --
              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
              '80 GS850 GLT
              '80 GS1000 GT
              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                That looks like a lot of fun. My if-I-was-buying-a-new-bike-list is very short, and that's on it. I hope the break-in procedure isn't something silly like keeping it under 45 mph.

I wonder what the luggage options are.
                It's not quite that bad: under 6000rpm for 500 miles, then under 9000rpm for 500 miles.

SW Motech makes some decent looking luggage for it, but the mounting brackets are kind of ugly w/o the bags on. And supposedly Suzuki's releasing a 'touring' model for 2017, which has tank and tail bags, taller fairing, and a few extra stickers.

And there's always the GSX-1250FA. I saw a new one yesterday and it looked nice. I sat on an older one and it was really comfortable, but it's big.

Comment

Joe,
                  Change the oil as soon as you can. Almost all the wear occurs in the first 50 miles, get all that metal out of there. I would run Dino oil until the break in is done, then switch to synthetic. That bike is on my short list as well. Lookin' good! BTW a local dealer has a new GSF1250 for 7600+T&L, no setup or freight.
                  sigpic
                  09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                  1983 GS1100e
                  82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                  1980 GS1260
                  Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Cool bike.

Dale walker got one and has started some mods over at maximumsuzuki.

Nic
                    83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

I have been lusting over the naked non-F Gsx-S1000 since I first learned of it. Great looking bike. Enjoy.

Comment

Yeah I heard about break in procedures but I follow this one to the T with my Brand New TU:

I'm coming up to the 600 mile service which includes a valve adjustment. But I'm bringing it right to red line now. Very responsive, the engine and transmission are both Gems.

Glad to See I'm not the only GSR member buying a brand new Suzuki!!!

Congrats on your gorgeous machine... It really is stunning!

Now that you have a leg (distance) machine you should plan a ride to western NY, I try to make it out that way a couple times a year... Be nice to meet you one of these days Joe!

Congratulations!

Now go pull a wheelie or bring her to 140... That's where the fun begins Enjoy your Gixxer in sheep's clothes!
                        Jedz Moto
                        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                        1988 Honda GL1500-6
                        2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                        2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                        2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                        Originally posted by Hayabuser
                        Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Ha! Thank you You guys are killin' me with this break-in stuff. I'm close to 500 miles and have been trying to follow what it says in the manual (same thing the guys at the dealership said). I figure I can't really go that wrong...

I love the bike. I still need to tweak the suspension - I had it on a rough highway today and got my butt kicked, so a little less compression damping I suppose. I also need to do something about the seat before I get on too big of a road trip, but it's not that bad for the time being.

Comment

I have not had a "new" engine to break-in for many, many years, but that procedure is the one that I follow.

That article goes into the "why" behind it, I think it explains it quite well.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

What do you guys recommend for maintenance stand(s), since there's no center stand?

I think the normal progression is to start with a rear/spool stand, then get a front/steering head stand, but I know there's other combinations/units available (swing arm/frame stand, eg). FWIW- I'm moving to an apartment (and getting storage unit) so compact or configurable is a benefit.

Comment

Working...
                              X