Anyone use Forking by Frank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone use Forking by Frank

Has anyone dealt with Forking by Frank, aka Frank's Maintenance and Engineering, INC? If so, what was your experience?
    sigpic
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

In late 2009 I sent them an email with a question about some forks I had that needed work. I'm still waiting for a reply...
    IBA# 12860
    Iron Butt SS1000 & BB1500
    1984 KZ1100R
    2008 Kawasaki KLR650
    2011 Concours 1400

Comment

Okay, thanks
      sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Something happened a few years back where they were going to close but then reopened. I can't remember the story but one of the owners may have passed away. Maybe the widow is running the show now? I'm not sure but in the past they had a good reputation for quality. Expensive though.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Frank did die. last I heard the wife ( Mary may have been her name ) and a son were running it again. Phone calls are cheap and will get you the best information.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Expensive. They quoted $400 for new tubes for my CL350. I have no idea what the materials cost, or how much labor is involved, but I passed.

Comment

In 1975 I bought a '71 CB350 with 6" extended front forks by Frank. They were tall and good looking. Frank had a very good reputation back then. Blast from the past!
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I just called and got a quote of $339 plus shipping for a new set of inner tubes. Thinking about it but I don't know.
                sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Why do you need new ones? Just curious. There must be a better (cheaper) alternative.

Never mind, I just saw your post as to why you need to replace yours.
                  Last edited by alke46; 10-10-2016, 07:17 PM.
                  Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                  '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                  '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                  '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                  '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Larry, there are a couple of cheaper options which is why I'm thinking. Part of me wants to keep what I have (dual brakes) though it might not be completely necessary and part of me wants to return the bike to a completely stock option. I'm unsure right now and mulling it over in my mind
                    sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                      Larry, there are a couple of cheaper options which is why I'm thinking. Part of me wants to keep what I have (dual brakes) though it might not be completely necessary and part of me wants to return the bike to a completely stock option. I'm unsure right now and mulling it over in my mind
                      Ride what you got Scott and save your money for something more important.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I happened upon this thread and would like advice on where to send a fork tube to get straightened.
                        I think one or both of the tubes on my 1100E have a VERY slight bend. I can't justify replacing them if I don't have to.
                        Another thought was to replace the entire front end since I want to upgrade the brakes but that seems like an expensive PITA.
                        Any suggestions would be appreciated.
                        Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
                        '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
                        '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
                        '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

I saw a few sites online (just do a search for fork straightening) but I wasn't so sure it would be beneficial for me so I can't tell you much.

I'll be purchasing some new tubes from Frank by the end of next week (planned to do so today but something else came up)
                          sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

I purchased a set of BMW R100RS fork tubes from Forking by Frank in 1991. The quality was great and the price was significantly cheaper than OEM parts but that was before the business passed hands.

He used to advertise in BMW Motorcycle Owners Association (MOA) which had a monthly magazine back in the day.
                            Last edited by srsupertrap; 10-22-2016, 08:21 AM.
                            1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
                            Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

Thanks guys.
                              Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
                              '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
                              '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
                              '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Working...
                              X