Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Traveling Picnic JULY 2017 - New Information

Quote Originally Posted by Wingsconsin View Post
    ..What have I done...
    The last time you asked that question, you ended up with orange and purple.

What's it gonna be this time?

mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

This sounds like a fun rally. Southeast Ohio is my stomping ground. I could lead a group or make some maps that would include stopping at the Big Musky Dragline shovel, (a popular stop for motorcyclist) lunch in Marietta, Stern wheel river boats, covered bridges... Filled with all the smooth twisty roads you can handle.👍
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My Motorcycles:
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    82 750e (needs restored)
    80 KZ650f (needs restored)

Quote Originally Posted by storm 64 View Post
    This sounds like a fun rally. Southeast Ohio is my stomping ground. I could lead a group or make some maps that would include stopping at the Big Musky Dragline shovel, (a popular stop for motorcyclist) lunch in Marietta, Stern wheel river boats, covered bridges... Filled with all the smooth twisty roads you can handle.
    This 'rally' is pretty not organized (on purpose) -
    Having anyone who is familiar with the area share local knowledge is a bonus - offering to lead a ride is great.

This year we will have an interesting collection of motorbikes -
    Goldwings, Suzuki GS's, Concours, Harleys, etc..
    It started as a Goldwing thing..but people bring a friend on whatever they ride...etc....

I am arriving Thursday night and will ride around on Friday and organize the hotel, etc.
    Friday many others arrive and usually there is something pieced together in the evening for a group meal --
    the hotel is talking about a BBQ on the patio by the pool ...too be determined...
    Refreshments (beverages of your choice) typically take place in these spots during the evening --
    Small group are encouraged to ride with like minded riders. Fast riders with fast , slow with slow, just to be safe find your own pace.

The ONLY organized group event is THE PICNIC ... Saturday at the park ... usually sandwiches, sodas, water, typical picnic fare..
    The organizer for the location (Greg Hayden this year) will get lunch to the park - then we pass a hat to pay the host back - typically $10 per head gets it done.
    Any extra $$ is donated to a local food pantry or like charity --

This leaves time to ride in the morning Saturday -- and after the picnic as well -- in groups or otherwise.
    A second parking lot party ends up being Saturday night...gotta be rid of the leftovers and drinks to sooth the parched throats of riders.
    Sunday is see ya time...
    Currently in the Stable :
    2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
    1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
    - Carl R. Munkwitz

This 'rally' is pretty not organized (on purpose) -
    Having anyone who is familiar with the area share local knowledge is a bonus - offering to lead a ride is great.

This year we will have an interesting collection of motorbikes -
    Goldwings, Suzuki GS's, Concours, Harleys, etc..
    It started as a Goldwing thing..but people bring a friend on whatever they ride...etc....

I am arriving Thursday night and will ride around on Friday and organize the hotel, etc.
    Friday many others arrive and usually there is something pieced together in the evening for a group meal --
    the hotel is talking about a BBQ on the patio by the pool ...too be determined...
    Refreshments (beverages of your choice) typically take place in these spots during the evening --
    Small group are encouraged to ride with like minded riders. Fast riders with fast , slow with slow, just to be safe find your own pace.

The ONLY organized group event is THE PICNIC ... Saturday at the park ... usually sandwiches, sodas, water, typical picnic fare..
    The organizer for the location (Greg Hayden this year) will get lunch to the park - then we pass a hat to pay the host back - typically $10 per head gets it done.
    Any extra $$ is donated to a local food pantry or like charity --

This leaves time to ride in the morning Saturday -- and after the picnic as well -- in groups or otherwise.
    A second parking lot party ends up being Saturday night...gotta be rid of the leftovers and drinks to sooth the parched throats of riders.
    Sunday is see ya time...
    • I'm really going be relying on a local tour guide I'll keep my pace somewhat slow, I'm sure there is great riding but will have NO clue how to get to it.
    • Game plan for us NE GSR guys is to Roll in Thursday afternoon/evening, rest up and be good to go for a Friday ride. Carl if you need a hand organizing or even cooking let me know! More then happy to assist in anyway! It would be awesome to get a BBQ next to the pool. With that southern heat I' will be utilizing it much after rides...
    • It goes without saying Jetrho and I are fast riders...(No surprise there) If we need to branch off on our own that's fine, maybe scout with the group Friday then us (and whoever wants to join) attack Saturday to the picnic and back, The cool thing with the Connie is when you go for these long trips and rack the big miles, the next day you unpack and unload and find that you packed a Hyper bike too!.. So yeah Geoff and I will likely break off and ride hard with no luggage one of these days...
    • Sunday we will be jetting and Heading south (likely nursing a hangover too) to the southern entrance of the BRP so we can get a fresh start on the BRP Monday morning and make our way back to the NE.

Going to be a fun time!!!
    17 HD XG750A Street-Rod
    15 Suzuki TU250X - The Tuxman SCR250
    08 Kawasaki ZG1400 - Ole' Faithful
    13 Infiniti G37 S New aged "Z" Car
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.
    2017 North East Green Mountain Rally
    2017 North East Green Mountain Rally on FACEBOOK

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    Jedz, looks like you are out!
    Takes one to know one buddy!!!
    17 HD XG750A Street-Rod
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Click this link -->> https://goo.gl/maps/KxyKBiusDCN2

Crown City Wildlife Area is a place my buddy and I stumbled into two years ago.
    The roads are twisty and were then clean and well paved.
    Light traffic and some fun.
    I think this might yield some fun and only 100 miles away...

- Carl R. Munkwitz

I just took a look at that map. From Chillicothe to Gallipolis, US 35 is divided 4-lane highway. There are some parts that have crossroads, so it does not qualify as "Interstate" highway, but it's basically the same. It has been many, many years since I was south of Gallipolis on Route 7, I don't remember what that was like.

On the alternate route shown, US 23 heading south of Chillicothe is also a divided 4-lane road. The only part of that route that looks anywhere near "interesting" is that short stretch from just east of Piketon over to Jackson.

Don't get me wrong, it will be "scenic", but far from "technical" or "challenging".

mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Little longer this way but man look at the twisties in there!!!

I Think I'm going to go that way on Saturday
    17 HD XG750A Street-Rod

Jethro is offline Forum LongTimer Charter Member
    GSResource Superstar
    Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Jedz123 View Post
    Little longer this way but man look at the twisties in there!!!

I Think I'm going to go that way on Saturday
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

2016 Green Mountain Rally- Coolidge State Park, Plymouth VT Sept. 8th-12th

Just putting this up with a little bump (nudge?) --
    If you are seeking a place to ride too and around this summer take a look at this...
    Info in the first post if you have skipped to this one.

- Carl R. Munkwitz