Engine Casing Paint info......any help appreciated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Casing Paint info......any help appreciated

I recently picked up an 82 750T, been sorting out the issues, and had to pull the carbs. This of course opened up the casing for cleaning and touch up. The heads are also suffering from a mild case of unaddressed oil film. I'll be de-greasing the casing and heads, power-washing em, and then want to touch up with the correct paint.
    does anyone have any insights as to a good/exact match?

here's her waiting for detailing...

any help is appreciated..
    Pete.
    PB
    Central Jersey
    82' Suzuki GS750T

"Old school is the best school"

Originally posted by Pb9717 View Post
    I recently picked up an 82 750T, been sorting out the issues, and had to pull the carbs. This of course opened up the casing for cleaning and touch up. The heads are also suffering from a mild case of unaddressed oil film. I'll be de-greasing the casing and heads, power-washing em, and then want to touch up with the correct paint.
    does anyone have any insights as to a good/exact match?

here's her waiting for detailing...

any help is appreciated..
    Pete.
    When I painted my 1978 GS750C I used VHT Silver brake caliper paint. It has a higher temp range, goes on very well and looks very close to original paint in my opinion. See the pic attached.
    Attached Files

Comment

VHT Universal aluminum. Part # SP-127. It MUST be heat cured. I start the bike and let it idle for about 10 minutes and watch to be sure the paint doesnt bubble. Shut off the bike and let it cool. Repeat the heat / cool cycles a few times..each time increasing the time you let it run. This will cure the paint and keep it from bubbling from too much initial heat.

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thanks.....will pick up today.
        PB
        Central Jersey
        82' Suzuki GS750T

Comment

Picked up recommended paint and, after a thorough degreasing, applied to specific areas using a brush. I did not want to spray anything as it was just going to be a mild refresh of the badly deteriorated painted areas, not a full blown detailing. I had no desire to mask areas. The cylinder heads were in such good shape they required no real touch up after degreasing and power-washing. The Caliper paint was a dead on match for the cylinder color. Heres a pic after degreasing, still wet from the powerwasher.....

Here it is with the paint touch up on the tray area under the carbs ( Newly rebuilt by Chef, thank you very much, can't wait to here em' run ) And a new chrome starter cover off the bay...

Still lots to do with all the side covers. They're all in need of a strip/sand/polish. But I can do that after she's running, one at a time. I'd like to ride the bike soon and test out the acceleration with the rebuilt carbs. Thanks again to you all for the guidance. This is the best forum on the planet.

Heres the other side before and after

Paint on this side still needs touch up...but its gettin there!

Last edited by Pb9717; 10-30-2016, 07:03 PM.
          PB
          Central Jersey
          82' Suzuki GS750T

Comment

Working...
          X