No announcement yet.

GS story .... BMW story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went on a multi day central California tour a couple years ago. Most were on 'Busa's and ZX14 Rs and Concours 14s. There was one fellow on a Victory, and one on a 6 cylinder BMW tourer. I was on my '81 GS1000G. The BMW was remarkably compact, and quite handsome and tidy looking. I'm sure that it is very densely packaged between those spars on the frame. Nice looking, too.

I've never had a truly fast bike. Only stuff that you would have to lay gown on to reach 135 MPH, like a '79 CBX. Even that was done pulling hard at about 95. I suspect that a bike that is electronically limited to 186 still pulls pretty hard at 130.

For me, when the speedometer stops swinging, and it is more creeping up, holding the throttle open on the highway isn't that fun any more.

I'm pretty sure that I don't have the correct level of self restraint for a truly fast bike. I would be fun to try it sometime though.
    Last edited by 850 Combat; 02-18-2017, 04:13 PM.
    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Those big 1600 BMW's are a marvel in engineering excellence. The engine performance is nothing short of remarkable in that they are both powerful and civilized. So under stressed too. I wonder how many miles they can cover before wearing out parts?

Oddly, the opposed twin BMW's have had quite a lot of drivetrain issues over the years. From rear ends that blow up to stripped splines on output shafts or what have you. I don't know all the particulars but every time I see a nice BMW on craigslist and lust after it I double take and think about all the issues and how expensive they are to fix.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I've ridden Trevor's bike, it really is a whole other level. The smoothness, the acceleration. And it doesn't matter if you're at 30 or 130 the acceleration is neck snapping...instant!
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Bet he won't let you ride it now
          sigpic
          09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
          1983 GS1100e
          82\83 1100e Frankenbike
          1980 GS1260
          Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

I will stick to my 919, anything else might get me in trouble. Very quick and capable, but one of the worst seats that I have ever set my butt to.750L 014.jpg
            Gustov
            80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
            81 GS 1000 G
            79 GS 850 G
            81 GS 850 L
            83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
            80 GS 550 L
            86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
            2002 Honda 919
            2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Gustav, have you looked at the saddle Sargent does for the 919?
              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
                Bet he won't let you ride it now
                I would let Rob ride any bike in my garage. He could take them anywhere he wanted. He has helped me so much with my bikes. I have rode with him so many miles that I literally trust him with my life. Plus how good is it to have a riding partner that is a nurse?! Lol
                No signature

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                  Gustav, have you looked at the saddle Sargent does for the 919?
                  Can't say as I have, will though.

V
                  Gustov
                  80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                  81 GS 1000 G
                  79 GS 850 G
                  81 GS 850 L
                  83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                  80 GS 550 L
                  86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                  2002 Honda 919
                  2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

I thought this thread might be a K75 vs GS850G or K100 vs GS1000G bake off, since I've ridden many miles on all of them. If it's of any interest I would recommend the GS models.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                      Quarter-mile time is the standard for quickness. And the quickest bike that Cycle World has ever tested is the Kaw ZX14R (March 2012).

The time is 9.47 seconds at 153 mph, but that is corrected for altitude and humidity. Uncorrected was 9.64 @149.
                      Correct!

The ZX-14 and 1ZX-4R lumps are heavenly... I know, I have one hauling my A$$ around!

My Buddy just bought a 14 BMW R1200RT... Gorgeous machine, I love how it looks.

Very light between the legs, he said all day comfort, I like it but not for $18K used.
                      Jedz Moto
                      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                      1988 Honda GL1500-6
                      2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                      2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                      Originally posted by Hayabuser
                      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

If I get another BMW, it will be an Airhead. I know they are not bullet proof. I used to ride with a bunch of guys who rode them, and they had all manner of problems. Not a high number of problems, but every type of problem. They liked to make fun of the Triumph Hurricane I was using mostly at the time. That was the only leak free old bike I ever owned, and the only completely trouble free Brit bike I ever had. A number of the BMW guys spent a lot of money on go-faster parts. I hated the fairing package on my old airhead, because of noise and maintenance problems it caused. The bike carrying the fairing had lots of good about it.

What the heck:

Here is the Triumph

And here is my ancient RT
                        Last edited by 850 Combat; 02-21-2017, 09:34 PM.

Comment

I keep going back to the photo of the R1200RT. What a beautiful shot. I'm not getting one, but man, that photo makes me want to be there on it; it really does.

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                            My GS bikes are fast but my BMW is on a whole other level!!

That's nice

Comment

1300s is expen sive to maintain. I need money for spark plugs and oil.
                              golly gee worth it though.

Theres a youtube vide in Italian of a complete teardown of a 300 000 km 1300
                              I can understand the language but it seems to me that there is not a lot of wear on the parts in the engine.
                              1983 GS 550 LD
                              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                                If I get another BMW, it will be an Airhead. I know they are not bullet proof. I used to ride with a bunch of guys who rode them, and they had all manner of problems. Not a high number of problems, but every type of problem. They liked to make fun of the Triumph Hurricane I was using mostly at the time. That was the only leak free old bike I ever owned, and the only completely trouble free Brit bike I ever had. A number of the BMW guys spent a lot of money on go-faster parts. I hated the fairing package on my old airhead, because of noise and maintenance problems it caused. The bike carrying the fairing had lots of good about it.

What the heck:

Here is the Triumph

And here is my ancient RT
                                What he said! I love Airheads!
                                "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                                1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                                X