Repairing gauge cluster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repairing gauge cluster?

Hello-- I didn't see any other sub forum to post in, so I will try here. I just got my GS1100GK running after sitting for 15+ years, and noticed neither of the gauges work. Is there a way to disassemble them and clean/lubricate the insides, or are they toast? I need to check the cables first, but it'd be a bit strange to have both the cables break instantaneously.

Originally posted by SirFoxx View Post
    ... it'd be a bit strange to have both the cables break instantaneously.
    Well, let's just say ... they don't brake gradually.

Yes, they do tend to break instantaneously, but I think you mean "simultaneously".
    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Yeah, check your cables before you go gung-ho on the instruments themselves. It's quite possible that the rotating mechanism inside the gauges has locked up, which has caused the cables to snap, but verify the cable integrity as a first step.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Someone long ago had a thread with some great pics. Think it may have been Ed Ness maybe???
        Last edited by chuck hahn; 10-27-2016, 08:32 PM.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

You can get into the gauges, just needs some disassembly and finesse but it can be done. But like these guys said, try the cable and lubricant up inside first.
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

this is my favourite. Very similar to suzukis
            Please use this forum to discuss custom mods and to post pictures of your own custom work.

here's a pdf that explains some things

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
              this is my favourite. Very similar to suzukis
              Please use this forum to discuss custom mods and to post pictures of your own custom work.

here's a pdf that explains some things
              http://www.lotus-europa.com/manuals/...edo_repair.pdf
              I'll take a look at it! Know what the best part is? I own a cx500 and have that style gauges put away in a box! Haha what a coincidence!

Comment

Don't forget gauges were built and sealed to last the life of the vehicle and many do so,so disassembly to clean them up and reoiling can't fix real issues and introduces moisture as well.
                I
                own a cx500 and have that style gauges put away in a box!
                well, maybe you can practice on them if they are also fufu. otherwise don't.try everything else first before diassembly.
                Most people here that get into them seem to prefer undoing the crimp on the metal band that holds the gauge together, but I found I liked cutting the band better...and then drilling tiny holes in the band's end for wire to bind the ends back on reassembly
                ...that said, undoing the crimp and re-crimping is easier on reassembly.. because pressuring down on the rubber washer enough to fit the cut band IS hard, while with crimping you can just tighten it up as you recrimp...but the re-crimping never seems to look as nice after stretching the metal with screwdrivers and such...
                Take note of everything's order of assembly immediately as you open it...

Comment

If the cables check out then it's probably the gauges themselves. The grease gets pretty hard over years of no use and it locks the gauges up. They can be disassembled and re-lubricated. The process isn't complex but just a tad tedious. Once the gauges are removed from the housing, you need to pry the crimped section where the upper metal decorative ring where it meets the plastic housing. You simply use a small screw driver and pry the crimp away from the housing and stand it up. Once you done that all the way around, the housing will slip out of the ring and you will expose all the inner workings. Clean and lubricate all the moving components and then re-crimp the ring around the housing. Don't be too concerned about the visuals on the bottom where you crimp it. Just make it as smooth as you can. Everything on the bottom will be hidden inside the housing anyway.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                  1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                  1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
                  X