new tires scary at speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new tires scary at speed

Anybody able to explain why after putting on new tires, the front end wants to wobble at speed ? Either I've gotten used to it or it is slowly going away with miles accumulated. I went from S rated Michelins that unhappily yielded anly about 7,000 miles to H rated Skinkos (that already seem like they will outlast the Michelins by twice the lifespan) to save a few bucks. Could the feel be that different ?

Could the mold release agent on the tire surface cause this ? Tire pressures are at spec but I did not balance them although, they are not vibrating until I go MUCH faster. Could an unbalanced tire/wheel make the front end wobble. If I let it keep doing it, the whole bikes starts to wobble. It gets scary ! Little Suzy was dead solid with the Michelins.

Going up or down in tire pressure does not seem to make any difference. Steering bearings feel tight, no freeplay and no detent.

At first, anything above 55 mph was a concern. Now I have to go above 65 -70 to worry at all. At first it would do it all by itself every tiem I got going fast enough. Now it seems like it needs to be aggrevated by a sidewind or air movment from another vehicle. 85 is ok all by myself on the road ... for the most part but then I'l go over a bump and I can feel it start again, a little.

If bumps are starting it then it probably isn't the new rubber. That sounds more like a suspension issue. What sizes did you go with? Which model of Shinko? How fresh is your suspension? When you say tire pressures are at 'spec', what is 'spec'? Mold release compound is just slippery and is gone after a ride or two. Did you change anything else when you changed rubber? Who mounted the tires? Is it possible that a shop chimp screwed something up for you?

Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

not balanced, eh? hm. that would be the first thing i would check.
      1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

I just read your other update, your bike maintenance may be suspect. 30,000 miles and one oil change (no filter??) and no wheel balance on your new tires?

hmmm is right

Comment

I'd get the tires balanced first.
          1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Wobble is not vibration, unbalanced tires would cause vibration and then you could trace it to the tires because it would come on gradually with speed, not get more intense just vibrate faster.
            Wobble is caused by front end fork issues, loose, worn out stem bearings, uneven fork condition, like they need new oil, poor fork-axle adjustment, they're binding.
            Rear swingarm bearings loose, worn out.
            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
              Wobble is not vibration, unbalanced tires would cause vibration and then you could trace it to the tires because it would come on gradually with speed, not get more intense just vibrate faster.
              Wobble is caused by front end fork issues, loose, worn out stem bearings, uneven fork condition, like they need new oil, poor fork-axle adjustment, they're binding.
              Rear swingarm bearings loose, worn out.
              All that, plus worn out shocks are a big contributor. It's a bit counter-intuitive, but front end wobbles are more commonly caused by issues are the rear than at the front. But keep in mind, a wobble is a system issue, it's rarely just one thing.

That said, a different front tire can really exacerbate it. Usually, a worn tire makes it worse. The wobble will slowly get worse as the tire wears, and when you put a new tire on it goes away. However, a brand new tire can make a previously solid bike shake. I had that happen with my V-Strom, put a set of Tourances on the bike mid way though an Alaska trip. Pulled over twice between Anchorage and Valdez to double check that all front and rear end bolts were tight, the bike had so much decel wobble I thought I'd screwed up putting wheels back on. Got home and went back to Pilot Roads and the wobble was instantly gone.
              '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Proper maintenance is a very good and honorable act
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Did I read that correctly, you did not balance them?

Oh.

Comment

Wow!

I'd get your entire suspension checked if a "wheel balance" doesn't fix the problem. I have a fork stabilizer on my bike simply because MrBill pointed out that the fender was the only stability below the triple tree.

Anyway...replacing the fork oil may also be an option so while you're in there take a look at your springs and all seals that need to be replaced.

Ed
                    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I can't believe no one has said ALIGNMENT!!

Sounds like bad alignment to me, the rear wheel.. Maybe you changed your chain tensioners or whatever and changed your alignment when you removed your rear wheel..

Get a long straight edge and put it across your back tire so t is parallell with your rear wheel sticking up next to your front wheel.. Keep the front wheel parallell to the straight edge, note the distance from the front wheel to the straight edge, repeat on the other side of the bike and note the difference of distance from the front tire to the straight edge from right to left..

Adjust your chain tensioners side to side to get your chain at proper tension and your rear wheel in proper alignment with the front, same distance from straight edge on rear wheel from left to right..

Comment

Originally posted by fasteddie313 View Post
                        I can't believe no one has said ALIGNMENT!!

Sounds like bad alignment to me, the rear wheel.. Maybe you changed your chain tensioners or whatever and changed your alignment when you removed your rear wheel..

Get a long straight edge and put it across your back tire so t is parallell with your rear wheel sticking up next to your front wheel.. Keep the front wheel parallell to the straight edge, note the distance from the front wheel to the straight edge, repeat on the other side of the bike and note the difference of distance from the front tire to the straight edge from right to left..

Adjust your chain tensioners side to side to get your chain at proper tension and your rear wheel in proper alignment with the front, same distance from straight edge on rear wheel from left to right..
                        He has a shaft drive bike so not likely a chain tensioner issue

Comment

Originally posted by nejeff View Post
                          He has a shaft drive bike so not likely a chain tensioner issue
                          Right you are..

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
                            not balanced, eh? hm. that would be the first thing i would check.
                            Originally posted by TxGSrider View Post
                            I'd get the tires balanced first.
                            Originally posted by Doug View Post
                            Did I read that correctly, you did not balance them?

Oh.
                            You guys do realize that road racers almost never balance a tire and it doesn't bother them aside from some vibration? Balance will not cause wobbles, unlike all the other stuff mentioned by Buffalo Bill and RichDesmond.

Mark
                            1982 GS1100E
                            1998 ZX-6R
                            2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                              All that, plus worn out shocks are a big contributor. It's a bit counter-intuitive, but front end wobbles are more commonly caused by issues are the rear than at the front. But keep in mind, a wobble is a system issue, it's rarely just one thing.

That said, a different front tire can really exacerbate it. Usually, a worn tire makes it worse. The wobble will slowly get worse as the tire wears, and when you put a new tire on it goes away. However, a brand new tire can make a previously solid bike shake. I had that happen with my V-Strom, put a set of Tourances on the bike mid way though an Alaska trip. Pulled over twice between Anchorage and Valdez to double check that all front and rear end bolts were tight, the bike had so much decel wobble I thought I'd screwed up putting wheels back on. Got home and went back to Pilot Roads and the wobble was instantly gone.
                              Had a similar experience with an 85 CB650 Nighthawk.
                              Replaced a worn-out front tire & then had a rather irritating deceleration wobble.
                              Replaced the front tire with a different brand with different tread pattern & it was fine again.

Comment

Working...
                              X