Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first 450 mile trip

This will be a day I won't soon forget.

After months of tweaking, repairing, adjusting, and syncing the bike was finally ready for a longer trip. I had ridden for a hundred miles or so a couple of times but always seemed to notice something that needed attention on the bike before going on any longer rides. Today was the day. I packed up what seemed like a useful tool kit and a few supplies for the road.

As I left this morning it was around 45 deg. F. a real nice cool start for the day. Traffic going out of town was really heavy right at 8 am, but a few miles out it seemed the road was all mine. The windjammer is a real blessing to have as only my hands got chilled. The sunrise on my left was hard not to watch as I headed down the road. I left a little later than planned so I needed to make haste and get to Las Cruces by 11 am. With the throttle lock (cruise control thingy) set at 85 mph the engine sounded sooooo smooth. It seemed all the state highway patrol guys must have been having coffee still so I cranked it up to 90 mph and left it there. Within about an hour I was in Socorro and had only burned off about two gallons of fuel. A quick fill up, walk around and look over the bike, then back to it. The next leg of the journey was 150 miles, about the limit of one full tank, without stressing anyways. Onward to Cruces I went. This road was indeed all mine, nobody out there. Ok, time to see what she's got. Crank the throttle down and pray I don't get a windjammer in the face. Climbing, climbing, ok no more to give at 113 mph and 8500 rpm's. Didn't hold that speed for long just quick a pat on the tank, good girl, and back to a reasonable speed. I made it to Las Cruces at 11:02 am, but true to form my son was late! We were having lunch and I was to meet his girlfriend. Ok boring lunch and us stuff......

Now back on the bike. There was a slight detour toward El Paso to say hi to raygun, really neat guy. Hard working and bright he is, and has a really cool KZ1300 too! Sorry no pics of that one

Heading North now back toward my neck of the... tumbleweeds.

What is it with the road paving crews that don't pave the on ramp. The Interstate is a good 3 inches higher in elevation than the on ramp creating on heck of a tricky transition. You can't hit it head on due to the angle of approach. It almost took me down twice today! Rant over....

After about an hour I was getting sleepy. Waking up at 3am excited for the ride is catching up with me now. I stopped in Truth Or Consequences, NM for gas and a red bull. Now it's on!! Crazy how red bull made the trees seem more colorful and the bike ran even better too, is that odd? Cruising at 80 mph now no hurry but a good pace. I approach the turn off toward the Trinity site, White Sands Missle range and think, hummmm why not. Headed down that road is a bar famous for their catering to the engineers and scientists who built the first atomic bomb here.

Nobody on this road either, what gives? Oh it's a weekday. I need to take a well day more often. I felt too good to go to work today!
    Here's a sight to see. The famous Rio Grande (River Big, in English) is almost dried up. Tire tracks in the middle of the river bed!

The trinity site is only open twice a year on Oct 1st and April 1st. I wonder why that is? Ok, quick shot of a historical marker and back to I 25.

Another blasted uneven on ramp almost got me, ugh! Boy, now all those state troopers are out in droves. 75 mph from here on out. Good thing too as I got a grasshopper smack in the middle of my visor. Startling that was! Now the sun is setting on my left side. It's getting hard to not look over my shoulder, better just stop for a pic. and a couple of gallons of fuel.

Well it was pretty uneventful from there on in. All in all about seven hours in the saddle today. Maybe a couple more of these and I'll attempt the trek to California.

The bike got a steady 39.5 miles per gallon regardless of the speed. Pretty good I'd say!
    Last edited by Burque73; 10-27-2016, 10:52 PM. Reason: Left out a pic
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Nice write up Burque;
    sigpic
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

"Feeling to good to go to work" I love it, can't wait to use that one! Very nice write up 👍
      My Motorcycles:
      22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
      22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
      82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
      81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
      79 1000e (all original)
      82 850g (all original)
      80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Awesome!

An ABQ rider! I didn't make it up to ABQ when I was at Holloman...spent too much time in Las Cruces and the southern part of the state. There's some nice riding up in your neck of the woods. Keep the pics coming as well as the narrative!

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Nice. Glad you had an uneventful and enjoyable ride. I often have an odd sense of accomplishment after completing a long trip.
          Last edited by dorkburger; 10-28-2016, 07:24 AM.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
            Nice. Glad you had an uneventful and enjoyable ride. I often have an odd sense of accomplishment after completing a long trip.
            Yeah, kinda like this little guy who felt like he just crossed the great crevasse.

Roger

Current rides
            1983 GS 850G
            2003 FJR 1300A
            Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Good write-up of your 1st successful road trip. As you know, many on this forum dislike the windjammer but I have sat behind them previously and for keeping the elements away, especially this time of the year, they really do a good job. They extend the riding season very late into the year and also let one get out earlier in the spring. But then you reside in Albuquerque so no need to tell you all this . Your non-riding days due to snow and cold is probably in the single digits.
              Larry

'79 GS 1000E
              '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
              '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
              '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
              '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Roger, how did you feel after the trip? My 1150 isnt exactly a touring rig, and after a 500 mile day im pretty shot- or at least need to recoup for a couple or 3 hours.
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Thanks for the comments.

I wasnt crazy about the windjammer either at first and planned to remove it like i did with my 82 1100 GL. Function is winning over fashion though. Its nice not to worry about dive bombing birds and to have somewhere to put stuff.

Glen,
                  I felt pretty good actually. The dogs didn't get a walk when I got home I'll say that much though, and my neck was a little sore from the wind but otherwise not bad at all. The corbin seat isn't terribly uncomfortable either. I was however under the influence of red bull so not very fatigued.
                  Last edited by Burque73; 10-28-2016, 05:20 PM.
                  Roger

Current rides
                  1983 GS 850G
                  2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

"After months of tweaking, repairing, adjusting, and syncing the bike was finally ready for a longer trip. I had ridden for a hundred miles or so a couple of times but always seemed to notice something that needed attention on the bike before going on any longer rides. Today was the day. I packed up what seemed like a useful tool kit and a few supplies for the road. "

That is where I'm at. Still waiting to trust my 30 something year old machine.
                    Great story and I admire the guts it takes to venture into this more than 100 mile territory.
                    I want to ride the Ohio side of the Ohio River next spring starting at the east and going to Cincinnati.
                    That sounds like a blast.
                    Alan

sigpic
                    Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
                    Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
                    Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
                    Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

I think we can all relate...my GS hadn't run in 30yrs my cbx in 35yrs, with both I spent a lot time just cruising in and around the city before I was confident enough to leave civilization. And even then starting with short runs to nearby towns. Now I'm good and ride them like they were new on multi hour excursions...but I take a lot of tools water and food with me in a messenger bag.
                      1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Thanks for posting.

I see your story mentions tools only when deciding which tools to bring. Doesnt mention any need to use them during your trip. Good.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I've never fully trusted any old machine ive owned. To me it's a matter of making it the best I can and taking that leap of faith. And yes, hedging ones bet is good.
                          sigpic

Glen
                          -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

I took that leap of faith with my "T" in Alamogordo. Rode lots of times with MrBill and pushed my bike to the limits. It's great fun, as you know.

Ed
                            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Very well put, make it the best you can, and take the leap of faith. I am not complacent to the possibility of mechanical failure, or operator failure for that matter. Just try my best to minimize the likelihood.

I was fortunate not to have needed any of the tools for sure.

However, coming off the interstate the engine sputtered and I switched to reserve for the last couple of miles. I usually fill up right away when that happens but figured I'd wait till the next ride for fuel. Pulled in and unloaded, lights out and off to a busy day on Friday. This morning I went into the garage at 6 am ready for a sunrise ride and was smacked in the face with gas fumes. You guessed it, I flooded the carbs, and started to fill the crank case. I changed the oil, cleaned the mess, and am still waiting for a chance at that sunrise ride. That has to be in the newbie mistake thread somewhere!
                              Roger

Current rides
                              1983 GS 850G
                              2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

Working...
                              X