No announcement yet.

Rebuilding my 1982 GS850 GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also take a look at this thread here: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...rmance-Rebuild

The entire thread is an example of a top notch, 100% detailed rebuild, but you can see how he prepped, masked, and painted the engine starting with post #25 on the first page.
    sigpic

Check out my rebuild thread here: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...GS-750-Rebuild

Comment

Originally posted by Sam 78 GS750 View Post
      You can also buy plug and cap kits for bolt holes and nuts/bolts that aren't being removed. They can make the masking go a bit faster.
      Do you know where or what I would look for when trying to find a cap or plug kit for painting the block?

Comment

Darn it guys, I didn't realize you couldn't see my photos. I just edited the posts and moved the photos to photobucket. I hope you can see the images now.

Comment

After a lot of elbow grease and 3 cans of engine degreaser, this is what I have:

I still have a lot of the baked on goodness that was once a valve cover gasket. I am trying to find a way to safely get that stuff off. I may try to soften it with some Goof off tonight.

Comment

Keep it up. The tank looks good as long as the rust doesn't flake.
            That's a nice bike you're working on. I loved my 850.
            You can carefully scrape that gasket off with a razor blade.
            Time and patience and you'll have a nice machine.
            Alan

sigpic
            Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
            Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
            Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
            Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

It's been a while since I have updated the thread:

This is what the engine looks like now:

So far I have:
              lapped the valves
              replaced valve stem seals
              had exhaust stud drilled and helicoiled
              honed the cylinders
              aggressively degreased the engine and soda blasted the head and cylinders (while removed)
              painted crank, head, valve cover and breather cover
              installed headlight brackets (had a busted vetter fairing)
              removed rust on most every part I could find that had rust (product called "Rust Remover" works awesome)
              degreased and removed rust from most every bolt that was removed with parts tumbler
              Cleaned carbs thoroughly (dipped in barrymans and then hand cleaned every passage with wire and carb cleaner spray)
              rejetted carbs for airbox to remove pods
              bought airbox and currently refurbishing it
              replaced all non-usable rubber grommets on frame
              spot painted frame with VHT rollbar and suspension paint
              set valve clearances (headache)
              tested wiring harness to be sure it was all still working
              sanded and repainted battery box (rusted)
              attempted to clean rust from tank (needs more work done)

I then reinstalled the engine last night:

The engine has been out for so long, I was so excited to be putting it back in. I almost forgot to reisntall the drive shaft, but noticed just before I got the engine wiggled all the way in.

Im waiting on carb boots from PartsOutlaw and should be able to push the start button soon. I still have cosmetic things to work on but I'll wait until I get the engine started.

Comment

That engine looks stunning!
                #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Looks Awesome!

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                  1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Gonna be nice!!
                    I build Pipers

Comment

So far it looks great, I'm waiting on the carb boots. The email from Partsoutlaw says it could be mid March. I'm wondering how I can get the two tone back on the tank and side covers when I paint it. That will be the hard part.

Comment

Jdion, this beast is coming along great!! My head and jugs are getting blasted this weekend. Then hopefully my carbs. (Sure pays off having Napa connections for a free blasting ) Then hone and gap rings and on from there. I will be giving it a fresh coat of engine gloss black and I know a guy with insane polishing skills for the side covers. He's a perfectionist so I can assume they will end up mirrored I can't wait to see your finished project!

Some 1/8 masking tape will get your lines, and plenty of professional input lol. (I don't have any of that)

Comment

I think I may end up going with a solid color on the tank and covers, just because I know I should be able to get a better result by myself. If I try doing a two tone on my one it will probably end up looking like abstract art.

Comment

Originally posted by jdion81 View Post
                            I think I may end up going with a solid color on the tank and covers, just because I know I should be able to get a better result by myself. If I try doing a two tone on my one it will probably end up looking like abstract art.

I'm going to hold off on attempting paint until I am done with moving. I will go with Plasti Dip in a two-tone, so I will let you know how it comes out haha.

The best part about Plasi-dip is the fact that you can use any clear coat over it

Comment

Working...
                            X