Gs550 scrambler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs550 scrambler

Hi I'm building a scrambler out of a Gs 550 .thought I would start a build thread here. will be needing help a long the way .don't no much about the Gs models .as I've been more involved with sohc Honda's .just finished a cafe racer build out of a Cb750 .so this will be my second build .here's a couple of pics of bike when I got her .don't laugh too much at her .

Welcome to the site, Yozzer.
    You will be able to find out how to post pics for this site here.
    Along with many fix-it manuals.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Hi thanks for welcome Murdoch.was wondering if anyone could recommend a set of rear shocks for my build .I'm wanting some that are a little longer than standard.for the look in going for I no I can't go too big because of chain .so does anyone no length I would get away with .thanks in advance for any help .

Comment

13-3/8 inches aka 340mm eye to eye max

Comment

Originally posted by Yozzer74 View Post
          was wondering if anyone could recommend a set of rear shocks for my build .I'm wanting some that are a little longer than standard.for the look in going for
          I'm assuming the effects on handling brought on by changes in suspension geometry are of no consequence?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Of cause I'm bothered about the affects .that's why I asked what the max I could go to .another question if anyone can help my Gs as mag wheels on do they have tubes in them .or are they tubeless .if they are tubeless can they run with tubes in them .as I've seen some tyres that only run with tubes

Comment

Originally posted by Yozzer74 View Post
              Of cause I'm bothered about the affects .that's why I asked what the max I could go to .another question if anyone can help my Gs as mag wheels on do they have tubes in them .or are they tubeless .if they are tubeless can they run with tubes in them .as I've seen some tyres that only run with tubes
              Don't worry about the geometry. The 340mm shocks will slightly steepen the rake and shorten the trail, something a gs550 can handle quite easily. It will have a bit lighter feel to the steering but will be easy to get used to and very likely welcomed. Ground clearance will be gained, lean angle gained, and those are good things.

Some mags are tubed, some are tubeless. You can run a tube in any of them if you so choose. Conversely, I have tube wheels but have converted to run tubeless.

Comment

Thanks for info.I will try get some pictures on when I figure it out

Comment

received_551154161712024.jpg here's a picture of bike when I bought her

Comment

Now I did say don't laugh did I

Comment

You say you want to build a Scrambler..... swap the tires to knobbies and you should be good to go as-is.
                      Yikes.
                      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Hi I've bought another Gs which is totally stripped the frame as been cut already so I'm going to use that frame instead of cutting a good frame but the one I have bought is a katana will the engine out of mine fit this frame .thanks

Comment

IMAG2972.jpg picture of frame

Comment

https://youtu.be/ONDG1xKITKs here is a link to bike running

Comment

Shouldn't be any major issues with that swap - the 8v engines really didn't change much apart from the carbs. You might find a couple of minor issues, but nothing that can't be overcome.
                              1980 GS550ET

Comment

Working...
                              X