No announcement yet.

Finished: Basket Case Project 1980 GS1000, sorta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One day I'm going to the UK. My Bike Mecca will be Racefit, Lucky Seven, and Spondon. Throw in Dymag, Renthal, and Nitron for good measure too.

Comment

I've owned/built a few full or part spondon bikes

beam framed gsxr1100 and a tricky katana ......... deservedly legendary for quality and , unfortunately, very protracted deliveries !

add maxton engineering to your list - suspension guru for the last 40 years - turned Spencer's NSR500 into something rideable
      78 GS1000C- Now sporting 1100E suspension and numerous goodies
      82 GS750E/82 1100E/ GSXR Frankenstein bike completed
      83 1100E "rescue bike" saved from the barn
      2008 Bking - Torque Torque Torque
      Next project slowly coalescing

Comment

Ah yes, wouldn't mind that little Maxton sticker on the GSXR forks. Proper kit, or maybe Öhlins internals...
        Last edited by Guest; 11-12-2016, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Dang, that's sweet! Nice job all around. I think one of the best and sipmplest mods on that model is dropping the rear seat height to match the tail. I love how it flows.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Looks great!
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

That's really a beautiful resto-mod. I really like the stance it has with the modern suspension. I like the paint scheme, too. Very different. As a painter myself, the only thing I would add would be the same black stripes from the tank onto the tail. A very nit-picky thing, for sure, because it's really well done. Should be a blast to ride.
              1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Yeah, in hindsight black lines with white pinstripes would continue the same color scheme towards the end of the bike. It was a detail I realized as soon as i got the pieces back from paint. The colors are pretty nice in person, I couldn't seem to capture how pearlescent the orange is on camera.

The seat was designed with clean flow in mind, and also with the original GS1000 tank. As the bike was striped for paint and powder, a big pinhole leak was found and other details made it unfixable. Thankfully, the flow of the seat foam still worked with the GSX tank.

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Comment

Cool hot rod.
                  It must be a blast to ride.
                  Sorry if i missed it but just curious to the significance of the #8?
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                    Cool hot rod.
                    It must be a blast to ride.
                    Sorry if i missed it but just curious to the significance of the #8?
                    It sure is fun to ride! I just like #8. It's even and symmetrical.

Comment

Looks like an awesome ride.

Been thinking of getting a smaller muffler. My current Triumph 955 muffler is huge.
                      Chrome and pretty though . Thinking loud pipes ARE good in NOVA.
                      Thinking of getting some reflectors for gear and such but they don't even notice a headlight here during rush-hour OR just saturday traffic sometimes...rural roads are still nice lately. ...

Congrats on the project, still some good weather left for riding left too.

Comment

Originally posted by BurntKittyForge View Post
                        Looks like an awesome ride.

Been thinking of getting a smaller muffler. My current Triumph 955 muffler is huge.
                        Chrome and pretty though . Thinking loud pipes ARE good in NOVA.
                        Thinking of getting some reflectors for gear and such but they don't even notice a headlight here during rush-hour OR just saturday traffic sometimes...rural roads are still nice lately. ...

Congrats on the project, still some good weather left for riding left too.
                        Thanks man! The PIAA driving LED lights are pretty freaking bright, and that pipe is definitely loud enough. With that paint job hopefully cagers will notice me!

Comment

Originally posted by BasketCase View Post
                          Thanks guys,

The gauge is the KOSO TNT-01 multifunction unit, not sure how MotoRelic made it work but there's still an issue with the tach signals above 42 mph. The quick filler is from RCD sold through Racefit. It is half conventional cap and half spring loaded for gravity dump can. Not sure if the front signals will melt, it's getting plenty of air flow and sits on the cooler core so there shouldn't be too much heat. I hope.
                          Just wondering if you fitted resistor core plug wires? Solid wires can create noise that borks up electronics....
                          sigpic
                          09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                          1983 GS1100e
                          82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                          1980 GS1260
                          Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
                            Just wondering if you fitted resistor core plug wires? Solid wires can create noise that borks up electronics....
                            I've got the Taylor 8mm Spiro Pro wires

The experts at PerTronix are ready to help you choose the perfect high performance ignition and exhaust products. We're enthusiasts too!

Comment

Really nice bike! What rear shocks are those?

Comment

Cheapo EBay ones, gonna replace them with FOX when I've got the scratch.

Comment

Working...
                                X