No announcement yet.

1997 Yamaha yzf1000 Thunderace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When the exup system works, it's fine. I re-lubed the valve and adjusted the cables.
    Today's project was to re-route the wire harness. This bike came with a very pretty full fairing, but the last owner took care of that.
    The wire loom was ran on the outside of the frame (I assume) because it was easier. I was worried that the first time I lay her down or drop it.
    I'd lose half my harness. Removed the tank, tail fairing, and airbox. Used zip ties to keep it away from anything hot or moving.
    Now onto the weird part.
    My cooling fans now come on when the key is switched on. The oil pressure light functions as it should. (lights up when the key is on and turns off when the engine is started) The fault warning stopped( tac needle pointed to 8k ever 6 secounds) Now the tac works as it should.
    I'm sure there's a short somewhere, I just can't find it.

before

after

Comment

Im assumimg that you are posting this here because all the yamaha forums that pertain to the older bikes like the yzf and fzr take ages to approve new members lol.
      I build Pipers

Comment

Originally posted by thebrandonbeezy View Post
        Im assumimg that you are posting this here because all the yamaha forums that pertain to the older bikes like the yzf and fzr take ages to approve new members lol.
        Yes and I've got my gs450 running like new thanks to everyone here. I like that this site is not loaded with a lot of children who think they are adults just because they do 160 on a public road.

Comment

Had one of my bar-end mirrors fall off. It was mounted by twisting a bolt and that would expand a flair nut on the inside of the bar. It did not expand enough. I used some threaded rod and washers with nuts from one end of each bar to the other. Works well so far.

Comment

I like that, i got lucky on my kat handle bars. They had a threaded tab welded in from the factory so i just bolted the bar end in like it was the factory slider
            I build Pipers

Comment

Finally bought the new front sprocket. Went from a stock 17 to a 15.
              It was sooo dirty. There was 1/2 a pound of old grease. Lots of stuff that looks like floor dry. I still want to replace the lock ring that keeps the nut on the sprocket in place. Found a gear selector switch near the shifter rod. It's only used for neutral atm.

Comment

Be careful, 2 teeth down on the front will be pretty drastic, about like 6 teeth up on the back.
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                  Be careful, 2 teeth down on the front will be pretty drastic, about like 6 teeth up on the back.
                  Yes, but I've never had a reason to go 160 mph anyway.
                  I went for a test ride after posting the pics and I like it so far. It still feels powerful, but now it's useable power. I use it to mostly to commute to and from work. Being able to do the set speed limits without lugging or revving it to the moon is what I care about the most.

Comment

Bet it does dank whoolies easy as pie now
                    I build Pipers

Comment

Seems like riding in 5th with new sprocket would be like riding in 4th with orig sprocket, excessive RPM at hwy. speed, but very easily smoke the tire in lower gears. Not ridden a YZF 1000, so not speaking from experience.
                      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                        Seems like riding in 5th with new sprocket would be like riding in 4th with orig sprocket, excessive RPM at hwy. speed, but very easily smoke the tire in lower gears. Not ridden a YZF 1000, so not speaking from experience.
                        From http://www.gearingcommander.com/.
                        5k rpm at 70mph seems about right.

Comment

Yep, According to those #'s, 5th gear now, at 5006, is almost exactly what 4th was, at 5001, with stock sprocket. Pretty drastic, & gets way more drastic in lower gears, be careful!

Comment

My new-to-me belly pan with authentic battle damage!
                            It's the stock one I got from Ebay for $40. I think it looks too naked without something on the underside.

16830791_608301439367131_9065340969540760624_n.jpg

Comment

Justin, something like this beast would be the ultimate hooligan machine.
                              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Made some 3 point mounts.

Side view. Still need to get new heat mat to line the inside with.

Comment

Working...
                                X