1997 Yamaha yzf1000 Thunderace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1997 Yamaha yzf1000 Thunderace

Title change, was : In trouble with my wife (again)
    Found a 1997 Yamaha yzf1000 on Craigslist. Guy went into a ditch thanks to a truck from the oncoming lane interning his. Jacked up the fairing and fuel tank. He got a replacement tank, but wanted to just get a new bike. I picked her up and drove her 3 hours home. Ran great with no issues aside from needing new rear brake pads AND A MUFFLER OF ANY KIND!!!! Pretend your sitting on the trunk of this RX7.
    At the very least, I got a new project and a possible new friend to ride with.

Last edited by Guest; 05-10-2017, 12:53 PM.

Got the old rear pads out.

Comment

At least there are plenty of spares for this bike, given the interchangeability with other models.
      The possibilities for a full restore or for a one-off special are there.
      Think you are looking at a full strip down and possibly, at having the frame x-rayed for minute cracks.
      Last edited by Lorenzo; 11-13-2016, 07:30 AM.
      GS1000G '81

Comment

Cool.
        I noticed this random funny thing on amazon other day HERE a few LOL last silly thing I thought was cool LOL "TURBO" jet bike...
        Congrats on the new project.
        Been thinking of getting "trouble with wife" myself by getting a GSX-R project (same engine block as my GSX)...trying to decide IF wait longer won't have to.

(I better get back of my pick-up cleaned out incase...

Comment

Looks like a good score oldman99. Glad your three hour ride home was uneventful, given the poor brakes. Is the rotor still usable after the metal to metal grinding?

FROM BKF "Been thinking of getting "trouble with wife" myself by getting a GSX-R project (same engine block as my GSX)...trying to decide IF wait longer won't have to.

(I better get back of my pick-up cleaned out incase..."

This is kinda where I am now. I looked at a Honda ST 1100 yesterday and now I can't stop thinking about it. There's a couple of 90's models in great shape for under $2k. Better clean out the other side of the garage just "in case".
          Roger

Current rides
          1983 GS 850G
          2003 FJR 1300A
          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
            Looks like a good score oldman99. Glad your three hour ride home was uneventful, given the poor brakes. Is the rotor still usable after the metal to metal grinding?
            It looks and feels ok. The surface is discolored, but no deep cuts or groves. I'm replacing the front and back wheel bearings, so I'll give them a better check when it's apart.

Comment

Shes dirty and needs new fuel lines. Carbs cleaned up nicely. This is only the second bike I've ever owned with a fuel pump, so thats different. Still waiting on ebay parts to show up...

15107333_566298210234121_2196526275044174096_n.jpg

Comment

Is that what Yamaha calls a Thundercat in other markets?
                Lots of power to play with anyway.
                Suzuki GS550; Kawasaki H-1E, GPz900; Honda MT250, CB400F, CB550, GL500, CBR929.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer Canary View Post
                  Is that what Yamaha calls a Thundercat in other markets?
                  Lots of power to play with anyway.
                  Yep. It was a one year bike here in the states, replaced by the R1 in 1998. In some other markets Yamaha sold them both for a few years.
                  '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

This one is the Thunderace. The 600 was the Thundercat.

Nice bikes the 1000 - I took one for a ride from the stealership back when they were new and remember just twisting the throttle a bit on the freeway thinking "I'm probably doing 110Kph"....only to look down and see 180 on the dial
                    Current:
                    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
                      This one is the Thunderace. The 600 was the Thundercat.

Nice bikes the 1000 - I took one for a ride from the stealership back when they were new and remember just twisting the throttle a bit on the freeway thinking "I'm probably doing 110Kph"....only to look down and see 180 on the dial
                      That was the ride home. She WANTS to go faster.

Wanted to bring up that this thing has coolant running in passages in the carbs. Info from a site I found.
                      "Coolant is passed through the carburetors on this bike. This is done not to cool the carburetors but to heat them. The idea is to prevent the formation of ice in the carburetor throats as fuel is evaporated. Fuel evaporation can cause extreme temperature decreases in the throat of the carburetor. During particularly humid and cool weather conditions such as riding in clouds or fog, ice could form in the carburetors and prevent the engine from running."

Got a $24 glasspack from summit. Added a baffling inside it to slow down the flow. It's high heat primer right now.

15178181_567647346765874_7973200168376866173_n.jpg

Comment

Also had time to make some proper radiator supports. The lower supports are fine, but the upper ones (that only had tiny rivets holding them on) where broken. Each spot where the supports touch the rad, I added some rubber hose.

15171043_567647320099210_2378250279780712440_n.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Oldman99 View Post
                          That was the ride home. She WANTS to go faster.

Wanted to bring up that this thing has coolant running in passages in the carbs. Info from a site I found.
                          "Coolant is passed through the carburetors on this bike. This is done not to cool the carburetors but to heat them. The idea is to prevent the formation of ice in the carburetor throats as fuel is evaporated. Fuel evaporation can cause extreme temperature decreases in the throat of the carburetor. During particularly humid and cool weather conditions such as riding in clouds or fog, ice could form in the carburetors and prevent the engine from running."

Got a $24 glasspack from summit. Added a baffling inside it to slow down the flow. It's high heat primer right now.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48481[/ATTACH]
                          My ZX9R had the carb warming thing as well - but I live in Oz so I just disconnected it because hardly anyone owns a sweater over here.....

I can see a new cam cover gasket in your future
                          Current:
                          Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                          VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)

Comment

Got the carb rebuild kits in and cleaned as much as I can. Still cold blooded for starting, but runs well afterwards.
                            Now the tack is doing a self test after the engine is started. Anyone seen something like this?
                            In other news, I'm super happy with the way it sounds.
                            (the gauge cluster is zip-tied in place until the new headlight comes in. thats why its way off to the side)

Comment

I'd say you've got an intermittent power cut to the instruments / tach. They normally do that when they re-boot.

Probably a loose or broken wire / connection.
                              Current:

Past:

Comment

Working...
                              X