No announcement yet.

1997 Yamaha yzf1000 Thunderace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My new (seemingly) ultra rare chain and master link came in. It's a RK532gsv o-ring.
    It's got the snap on keeper, but I'm thinking I'll still need to press the outer link in place.
    As you can see from pic 2 and 3. Thats as far down as it will go by hand.
    Thoughts?

Comment

Ive always used clip type masters. I typically squeeze them with needle type vise grips while the chain is on the rear sprocket to pull the clip in. But in my case its for the boat anchor chain size 630 my 1150 has. (Doing a 530 next go).
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Ok. Thank you.

Comment

Old chain was about shot...

Comment

New chain installed along with alot of cleaning.

Got 45 miles on a test ride. I might be a bit biased, but it feels smoother.

Comment

That chain looks kinda tight. Always hard to tell from a pic but loose last much longer than tight. I use a small twig (to keep my hands clean) and push up on the chain in the center and it should stop just shy of the arm... 3/4" of play.

Similar swingarm as the FZ1. Good idea to put anti-seize on the Yamaha chain adjuster bolts and run them in as far as they will go to get it on the interior threads.

Comment

So I seem to have done the dumbest thing I could have done when it came to a gauge cluster.
                I was riding home from work and my oil light came on. The bike dose not keep track of oil pressure, it has a float in the bottom of the oil pan, so when the level gets too low, it lights up. I shut it down and pulled over. Oil level was spot on.
                After scratching my head for a few days, I found that I had swapped the low oil light with the low fuel light.
                Durrrrrr......

Comment

Don't it make you feel good, when you find such a simple fix? Couldn't have turned out better. Glad you didn't run out of fuel. Do other bikes have this float system? I wasn't aware of it on bikes.
                  1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Man i really dig this bike
                    I build Pipers

Comment

It's badass!
                      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by Oldman99 View Post
                        New chain installed along with alot of cleaning.

Got 45 miles on a test ride. I might be a bit biased, but it feels smoother.

Very clean work!
                        I agree that the chain looks too tight. But we're only looking at pics.
                        Me, I dunno, I've studied aerodynamics since I was a kid, a sport bike without body panels frustrates my logic.
                        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                          Very clean work!
                          I agree that the chain looks too tight. But we're only looking at pics.
                          Me, I dunno, I've studied aerodynamics since I was a kid, a sport bike without body panels frustrates my logic.
                          I'm slowly buying the stock body off of ebay when ever I can get a good deal...
                          I just need the upper headlight and side fairings.

Comment

Its looking real good man, you motivated me to start on my fzr!
                            I build Pipers

Comment

Took her apart to replace the fuel pump and all the carb rubbers and seals.
                              The stock setup has hot coolant flowing through the carbs. The magazine articles from the time say its to keep ice from forming during low temp riding. I dont do much of that and I dont like the thinking behind it. I want to get rid of it. I can eather cap off the supply and return or I can hook them up. What are your thoughts?

Comment

Ill look at the fzr stuff tomorrow, it doesn't have that crap maybe you can convert to the fzr cooling system?
                                I build Pipers

Comment

Working...
                                X