No announcement yet.

1997 Yamaha yzf1000 Thunderace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went for a ride down to the lake area and found a public access for boats. I like the bike so far. Getting used to the clip ons. I'd like to go from a 17 tooth front sprocket to a 16. It's hard trying to do the speed limit. It will easily do 45mph in 3rd and feels weird.

Comment

That thing looks cool, though I wonder whether you meant 145 in 3rd.
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

I dont lug it really, but I dont like to rev it too high either. Highest speed limit near me is 65 and she does that in 4th gear at like 5000 rpm.
        I dont have a need for anything over 80mph, so why not back it down a little to make the available gears more usable?

Comment

So I did the spark plugs today. I really thinking someone in this bikes past did not change two of the four plugs because #3 and #4 are hard to get to.

Comment

Yuk. At least the electrodes look healthy.
            #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
            #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
            #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
            #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Took the carbs off today. Ordered all new rubber for them and they finally showed up.
              It's easier to start cold and seems to run better, but I might be a little biased.

Comment

Got tired of the tear in my passenger seat getting hung up on my back pack.
                Did a half-arsed repair.
                The adjuster on top of my fork looks to be ground down from a crash/ sliding down the road up-side down. I can only assume the pass seat got messed up the same way.

Some clamps and steel tube with a heat gun to put a crease in to hide my horrible stitching.

Complete-ish. I need much shorter staples. I'll pull these out and fix it later. Maybe...

Comment

I like your project of course, not so different from my 7-11 Katana.
                  Mine is so fast, want's to be ridden so hard, it only feels normal on a race track.
                  Had it up to 130 no problem, with plenty of room to slow down for the next corner.
                  Still only average compared to other bikes on the track.
                  "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                  1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                  1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                  1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Thank you.
                    I was considering a different sprocket set.
                    Stock is a 17 x 47 with a 532 chain.
                    The speedo runs off of the front wheel so that won't be an issue.
                    I want to say if I switch to a 15 x 48, it will have a lower top speed, but will have better acceleration. Right?

Comment

I looked at all the possible gear ratios I could use, but came back to what the Suzuki engineers chose, 15-48.
                      My engine is a 92 GSXR 1127 with the highest lift cams they put in those engines. A tweak one way or the other would not matter a bit, it has the highest torque figures I've seen.
                      I think getting clever about gear ratios is something you only need to do for small displacement engines.
                      Are you using the Gearing Commander site to help you?
                      Gearing Commander.com
                      Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 01-17-2017, 11:53 PM.
                      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

Yep, Had that site bookmarked for a long time.

Comment

I really like this, i just picked up a 93 fzr1000 with the ex-up set up. Im wondering if its the same as the yzf?
                          I build Pipers

Comment

Originally posted by thebrandonbeezy View Post
                            I really like this, i just picked up a 93 fzr1000 with the ex-up set up. Im wondering if its the same as the yzf?
                            I know it has the same function, and if you take it off the bike, you've f_cked it up bad.

Comment

I removed the EXUP from my FZ1 when I mounted the first Holeshot header made for that bike along with his exhaust canister and an Ivan's jet kit with K&Ns. Bike ran flawlessly.
                              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by thebrandonbeezy View Post
                                I think the engine is the same. Some burn oil and some don't. It's weird like that.

Comment

Working...
                                X