Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Western States Tom Murphy memorial rally Yosemite! July 28-31, 2017

Default 2017 Western States Tom Murphy memorial rally Yosemite! July 28-31, 2017

Putting this out for any interest. I posted a little too late last year, and most people from this area went to the northwest rally. We will include Yosemite in the ride, as it's close by and a great place to ride...beautiful roads and absolutely amazing scenery. Yosemite, Lake Tahoe, and the Sierras are all in our back yard. We will host from our house in Smith, Nevada. Plenty of room for bikes and RV's... 6 1/2 acres of land, a 50' x 50' workshop for all the toys, 3 RV areas with water and power. You could even bring your dirt toys as there are hundreds of miles of trails literally just outside our door. Post up if you might be interested.
    We are locked in for the weekend of July 28-31. As in the past, most people pitch a tent and stay at my place. You can ship you tent and sleeping bag to me ahead of time, so that it will be here for you and you don't have to pack gear on your bike. There are also rooms available about 20 minutes away at the topaz lodge www.topazlodge.com. I work there, and can get you a deal on a room if you want to stay there. There is also plenty of room for your RV or camper at my place if you want to do that.

The riding will be spectacular! I will post up some routes and a ride schedule soon.

Edit 4/17/17: Once we get closer to the event and have a close head count, we'll figure out a meal plan for the food and drink we will consume at the house, and divide up the costs. It works out to be very cheap. Typically burgers and hot dogs Thursday night as people roll in, breakfast/dinner Friday, a BBQ event Saturday night, maybe breakfast Sunday morning here at the house or at the Topaz Lodge, pizza Sunday night, and a light breakfast Monday morning for departure. We'll make lunch stops on the road, which everyone will pay for themselves.

Attending:

Charlie G
    Mitch
    chef1366
    Sandy
    Gustov
    Joe Garfield
    kent
    Wallowgreen

On the fence:

posplayr
    conner
    Jedz123
    rustybronco
    Last edited by renobruce; 05-17-2017 at 12:40 PM.
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

posplayr is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Super Site Supporter

Glad you are still hanging in there Bruce. I might be able to swing by on a trip to the mountains (up 395 Susanville)
    Read about Charging Quick Test GS Charging Health GS Stator

"The smallest giant of mankind, is he who stands on the shoulders of a larger giant who himself stands on the shoulders of yet a larger giant, and therefore sees the most light from GOD." Posplayr 2017 adapted from : Bernard of Chartres

Quote Originally Posted by posplayr View Post
    Glad you are still hanging in there Bruce. I might be able to swing by on a trip to the mountains (up 395 Susanville)
    Hi Jim! It would be great to see you! We've had some great times. Hopefully we can get some of the old gang back out here!
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

I am wondering if us PNW guys could do this instead of John Day? I would love to visit Cali again. We could take 395 and spend a day or 2 in John Day on the way there or back. How's the heat in July? June was F-ing cold in JD last year, another couple weeks may have helped.

1980 GS850G
    1983 GS1100e
    82\83 1100e Frankenbike
    1980 GS1260
    Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900 bought new and survived, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e will soon fulfill its dream.

It's warm here in July, but nice and cool up in the mountains where we will do most of the riding. Last time we went to Yosemite there was still some snow in some of the shady areas, even though it was plenty warm enough in the sun.
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Feel free to ride whatever you want. All bikes welcome! This is my wife Kelley's ride:

85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

I'll watch for a while this year, have a few things coming up around that time I won't be missing and I'm hoping the trials of this year will be done with.

Remember Connor? He'll be walking around then, likely earlier but who knows. He just graduated college with a physics major. Very proud of him!
    It's smoke that make electronic components work.
    Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
    '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
    '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone http://s612.photobucket.com/albums/t...view=slideshow
    '82 GS1000SZ
    '82 GS1100GL http://s612.photobucket.com/albums/t...view=slideshow
    '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird

Quote Originally Posted by Wallowgreen View Post

Remember Connor? He'll be walking around then, likely earlier but who knows.
    ???
    all the best to Connor

Big congratulations to your son Connor, huge accomplishment. What's with the "He'll be walking around by then" comment though???
    Rob
    78' 1000, 80' 1000G, 86' DR600 and few other bits n pieces
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Sorry chaps, didn't mean to cause confusion. The phrase "he'll be walking around then" refers to the graduation ceremony when "he walks" to receive his diploma (even though it's on the wall already!). I understood that to be the correct terminology around these parts and the date is not set yet. Most likely to be in May but has been known to slip out to later in the summer. My eldest Son will also have his college graduation ceremony in 2017, what's the betting they'll be on the same weekend?

Thanks for the congrats, I'll pass those on...
    It's smoke that make electronic components work.
    Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
    '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
    '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone http://s612.photobucket.com/albums/t...view=slideshow
    '82 GS1000SZ
    '82 GS1100GL http://s612.photobucket.com/albums/t...view=slideshow
    '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird