Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All-Time BEST Screwdriver:

This one:

I used to pick up a lot of scrap metal. In past it was my main job full-time for a bit.
    I FOUND this one for FREE.
    (Back then).
    My first thought was that it was some "Gimmicky" POS, that one buys on TV ad or such.

NOW, couple years later, it's been used probably every single time I use any other tool.
    Driving wood screws, disassembly, prefer it over electric driver even...

I've been rough on it , used the heck out of it. Still my #1...As in IF I ever lose it I will DEFINATELY have to buy another...

I NEVER use it as a "chisel" though because that breaks even the best 6 ways (or other # "ways")

Well just wanted to share that with holidays coming soon, these are a good quality gift.
    They're actually cheaper on amazon and such than the main page :

They offer other trade models which I haven't seen/used. Maybe somebody has?
    Can recommend another? This particular one is as I've described. Saves the carpel or tunnels whatever.

IF one gets over the first impression, definately , like me they'll see it as an awesome gift IMO.
    That's all.

Looks nice. I bookmarked the link for my next screwdriver purchase.
    My last new screwdriver is a Felo 373 series

I needed to remove/install screws holding a mother board in a computer case. CPU cooler and power supply severely constrained access. No way to hold the screw to get it started. The new screwdriver has interchangeable magnetic bit holders, 2" and 8" long. A nearly impossible job became easy. $35 screwdriver might end up replacing two dozen other screwdrivers. My only complaint is that the bit storage compartment opens easily if my palm touches the butt end.
    sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

I have a Snap-On similar to that. I've been using it for about 20 years now. I found it somewhere when I use to install vinyl tops.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
      Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

I've got a Snap-On version too. Very nice. Quite expensive though. Can't say it's a great value.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          I've got a Snap-On version too. Very nice. Quite expensive though. Can't say it's a great value.
          I've read that much of Snap-On's reputation comes from marketing, not quality. Not that Snap-On's tools are not very high quality, just that they are not the very best made but they charge as if they were the very best. Selling huge sets to newbie mechanics on credit supposedly made Snap-On the standard tools for lots of shops, even though prices are supposedly higher and quality about the same as Proto, Mac, etc....

At least that's what I've read, but I don't know for sure, either about Snap-On quality versus the competition, or its costs. Comments?
          sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Ever see a Snap-On foundry?? I used to sell industrial supplies and once toured the Armstrong Tools forging plant outside Chicago. I watched as thousands of Snap-on, Craftsman, Allen, Easco and other brands of tools were being forged there. Lots of companies are great at marketing the "lifetime guarantee". Most only manufacture a small portion of the tools that they sell and buy the rest from other manufacturers. I still only buy quality tools, as my old knuckles bleed easily!
            Ron
            When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
            1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
            1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
            1982 GS1100E
            1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

A friend worked at a Snap-On tool cabinet factory. In his interview, they told him that they knew their products were tough, possibly to a fault. They wanted his two engineering degrees to calculate how they could make their products less over-built without weakening them. He replied that he would not take the job under those conditions. He would only accept if they would let hime make their products stronger. They hired him.

I have the usual mish-mash of toolw, acquired over almost 50 years. Over the next several I want to replace them with complete sets, without breaking the bank.
              sigpic[Tom]

Comment

I love my Craftsman tools that I bought back in the early 70's. Everything still works perfectly. The few pieces that I have broken were replaced without question. The quality now may not be the same as back then, but I still use them all the time.
                1981 GS 1000GLX.
                1981 GS 1000G.
                1981 GS 650GLX.
                1975 TS 185.
                1972 100. Kawasaki.
                1968 100. Suzuki.
                1970 Z 50. Honda.
                1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
                1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

I have a Snapon ratcheting screwdriver and a stubby Mac ratcheting screwdriver, both gifts from my mechanic son. They get used all the time. I retired all my other ratcheting screwdrivers. I bought some JIS bits from RJR Cool Tools for the bike. The rest of my tools are a mishmash of Craftsman, Mastercraft and Mastercraft Maxiumum, basically anything with a lifetime warranty that was on sale. I had to warranty the Snapon because one shaft didn't fit properly and I warrantied one Craftsman ratchet. Sears didn't have the same ratchet in stock so they they gave me the repair kit instead.

Jim
                  1981 GS550T (Long gone)
                  1983 GS650G (Rolling rebuild is now a full rebuild.)

Comment

I keep a Klein 10-in-1 screw driver, Irwin 6-in-1 metric multi nut driver, 12-19mm multi socket wrench, Metric hex key set, Gerber diesel multi-tool, Slyde LED flashlight and a towel in my storage compartment in the cowl of my 1981 GS450, all I have ever needed to work on the bike so far in an emergency..... Every good hitchhiker needs a towel.

Comment

Working...
                    X